Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 12:28 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Why do college basketball players ( predominately black) getting a college education and hoping to become college graduates---------have to be covered with tatoos so they resemble a gang member from " the hood" ?

Disgusting !

Once again, prominant blacks " romanticizing" the life of a gang member/hoodlum.
It's not just blacks who are spending hundreds (thousands?) of dollars on tattoos. In fact, I'd bet tattoos are actually more of a white thing - or at least that sure seems to be true around here.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:32 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
WOW!!! This is repulsive!
If you had true compassion for them, you would not be offended; you'd be supportive.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 AM

9,930 posts, read 13,922,380 times
What twisted logic on your part. All one needs to do is read our posts to get a feel where we are coming from.

I've never in my life been compared to Hitler.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:09 AM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Maybe close-knitness is part of the reason these places do not have high crime rates. Perhaps with a tightknit community is helpful. As a side note, Lawnside,NJ is the first Black-run incorporated place in the USA north of the Mason-Dixon line. A big part of the reason why so many places that are poor and predominantly African-American are having crime issues can be attributed to a breakdown in the community and the family unit. The communities I just listed most likely do not have those issues. So what if I had to search very hard or "cherry pick" as you call it? I am sick of hearing nothing but negativity about African-Americans. I needed to do the research. In some ways, I feel like some people want me to feel ashamed about my ethnicity or even worse, lump me with people who actually do fulfill had stereotypes. That is why I do the research, so that I show the good things about African-Americans, things few people ever hear. Yes, I know there is a higher proportion of crime among African-Americans. I am fully aware of the bad things that have been happening. Where do you think it comes from? What can be done about it? Why aren't questions being asked and solutions being sought about more? Why is it the good things African-Americans are doing don't get as much attention as the bad things being done by African-Americans?
I do not feel as though you should be ashamed of your own ethnicity, in fact I believe you should embrace it. What I desire is that you reject the "victim" subculture of a blameless society. You are obviously a bright spot and working to better your own culture. It isn't your fault that the majority of black america has given YOU a bad name. The only thing I can suggest is to continue your valiant efforts and prove people wrong. You will be berated as a sellout by many, but the survival of your race/culture depends on people like you.

I would like to also encourage you to not fall for race-bating traps and power on. Please do not believe that every post that cites stats including black areas as the worst in the nation as a motivation to keep blacks down, but more as a motivation to improve their own neighborhoods. I am extremely liberal and voted for Obama without batting an eye, however I refuse to ignore the pressing issues of our society. I just wish people wouldn't automatically label someone a racist when they call out exorbitantly high crime rates in minority areas. Stats are stats, and everyone can draw their own conclusions! Please help fix your own problems before berating me as being intolerant...

Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 AM

9 posts, read 26,521 times
Default ridiculous for real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
I've always wanted to discuss and get more information on this subject, but I always felt "bad" about looking at it this way..but it seems like anything goes on City Data lol

I do ask this in just the.. nicest way possible?

When areas...cities, towns, etc..are majority of black/hispanic, it's typically a high crime/drug area. Why? How did this happen?

I'm sure we'll get some mean racist responses, lol, but I'm looking for truth to this. I understand there ARE crappy areas that are mostly white, but typically if an area is mostly black/hispanic, it's an area you do not want to be in

So, why and how?
Okay, from my experience as a school teacher ( a black school teacher who taught in these type of neighborhoods) the parents are more concerned about teaching their children that it is more about what you have and what you can show off rather than what it is in your head. Education is not valued, parents usually are unable to accept the disservice that they are providing their children with by placing the cost of a pair of shoes (Jordan's), or clothes over the value of an education. These children grow up with this mentality, end up having children of their own and pass this same mentality down. The low SES is a result of lack of education, and yes the playing field is not even, but I do not like when people from these types of neighborhoods blame white people for all of their problems. I see people on section 8 and welfare yet they roll around in nice cars...hmmmmm. So the problem is deep rooted however complaining without doing something about it never changes anything. Glamorizing unlawfulness is also a huge problem.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:26 AM

9 posts, read 26,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
Well said...I'd just like to add that there are plenty African Americans who are doing well for themselves that havent necessarily choosen to move into homogenous neighborhoods. We are not always living with "our own", we are not so obessed with living in places where every single person looks like us. While researching you will find middle class areas where Blacks might not be a majority, but they still have a decent presence.
I like this....hopefully these are the ones that are not losing themeselves! I often find that friends of mine that "move on up" stop dating inside the black race and begin going outside the race, and then say "I don't have anything against black people, I just prefer not to date them."

Old 01-24-2010, 01:27 AM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurlllll2 View Post

Okay, from my experience as a school teacher ( a black school teacher who taught in these type of neighborhoods) the parents are more concerned about teaching their children that it is more about what you have and what you can show off rather than what it is in your head. Education is not valued, parents usually are unable to accept the disservice that they are providing their children with by placing the cost of a pair of shoes (Jordan's), or clothes over the value of an education. These children grow up with this mentality, end up having children of their own and pass this same mentality down. The low SES is a result of lack of education, and yes the playing field is not even, but I do not like when people from these types of neighborhoods blame white people for all of their problems. I see people on section 8 and welfare yet they roll around in nice cars...hmmmmm. So the problem is deep rooted however complaining without doing something about it never changes anything. Glamorizing unlawfulness is also a huge problem.
Poorly stated but the point is very clear. It is unfortunate that you may be ostracized if you were to state this in front of your student's parents. I commend you and wish you the best in bettering those you teach

Old 01-24-2010, 02:09 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,078 times
Just look at Rhodesia (now present day Zimbabwe). Under white rule blacks had jobs and order; under black rule they got unemployment and chaos. If you really care about blacks, you don't abandon them/neglect them and then call it, "independence" and "justice;" you take care of them and then you take pride in it!

Independence didn't empower blacks; it made them weaker. Dependence wasn't oppressive; it was empowering.

This spirit has swept The West. The permissive parent is considered the good parent. That isn't good parenting; it is neglect! We get the same thing in the classroom and at work, but we call it empowerment and liberation; what bologna! Order is empowering; disorder is weakening. Chaos in the classroom, at work and in the family, doesn't make things better; it makes things worse.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:28 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurlllll2 View Post

Good observation !

Old 01-24-2010, 07:31 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
Poorly stated but the point is very clear. It is unfortunate that you may be ostracized if you were to state this in front of your student's parents. I commend you and wish you the best in bettering those you teach
Can you elaborate the bolded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates