Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 01:06 PM

857 posts, read 1,416,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Quoting an ACLU study is like quoting Jesse Jackson, or Al Sharpton, and thinking you've made a balanced argument.
Ok well instead of dissmissing my point because you do not like the source how about you contribute to the discussion by adding a source or point of your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It could also be a war on those who are buying, using and selling drugs.

Just a thought...
Seriously? Do you not understand the point of my post? The War on drugs focuses on a small portion of the drug using population. Particularly the low income minority portion (at least according to that study).

Anyone with more info please post.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 PM

Last edited by ulnevrwalkalone; 05-18-2010 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: repost

Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,565,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Ok well instead of dissmissing my point because you do not like the source how about you contribute to the discussion by adding a source or point of your own.

Seriously? Do you not understand the point of my post? The War on drugs focuses on a small portion of the drug using population. Particularly the low income minority portion (at least according to that study).

I understand the point perfectly.

Now let me ask you this: How many times are INNOCENT people busted for buying or selling drugs? REGARDLESS of race, or any other excuses, how many times are INNOCENT people busted for buying or selling drugs?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:33 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,836,421 times
Quote:

Because they are the easiest to catch, they don't have the money to pay off officials or have armed protection. That's pretty simple, dontcha think?

I have yet to find any OFFICIAL statistics on race and drug arrests.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Because they are the easiest to catch, they don't have the money to pay off officials or have armed protection. That's pretty simple, dontcha think?
It's interesting to me that a LOT of people busted for drugs, in and around Omaha, are people who are transporting them along Interstate 80. Somebody will get pulled over for doing 88 mph in a 70 mph zone, and when the cops look at the vehicle they find bales of marijuana and/or bags of other drugs.

I think the last stop netted something like $1.7 million worth of drugs.

The "perps" were two brothers (white) who are in their 50s.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It's interesting to me that a LOT of people busted for drugs, in and around Omaha, are people who are transporting them along Interstate 80. Somebody will get pulled over for doing 88 mph in a 70 mph zone, and when the cops look at the vehicle they find bales of marijuana and/or bags of other drugs.

I think the last stop netted something like $1.7 million worth of drugs.

The "perps" were two brothers (white) who are in their 50s.
Ya know, I woulda sworn I heard something on NPR about I80 and the drug runners, a couple of months back.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I understand the point perfectly.

Now let me ask you this: How many times are INNOCENT people busted for buying or selling drugs? REGARDLESS of race, or any other excuses, how many times are INNOCENT people busted for buying or selling drugs?
So you don't mind that minorities are going to jail at a disproportionate rate? Meaning the white people commit the same crime but get away with it more often. Everyone is guilty but only the minorities seem to be doing the time for it.

Quote:
I have yet to find any OFFICIAL statistics on race and drug arrests.
I thought I had given you one, what is your definition of official?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
So you don't mind that minorities are going to jail at a disproportionate rate? Meaning the white people commit the same crime but get away with it more often. Everyone is guilty but only the minorities seem to be doing the time for it.
Says you.

Unfortunately, you are not a credible source.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Ya know, I woulda sworn I heard something on NPR about I80 and the drug runners, a couple of months back.
They're making these arrests all the time.

It's really stupid. The people running the drugs always get pulled over for something else - like speeding, or driving with expired tabs, or going the wrong way on the Interstate. Things they could simply NOT do.

When their vehicle is searched, drugs are found.

It makes me wonder how many drugs are never seized. Most, I'm sure.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:

I thought I had given you one, what is your definition of official?
Official, provided by the government or agencies who perform the duties of arrests and prosecution. Not a skewed study from a racist group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates