Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 03:34 PM

449 posts, read 877,818 times

Advertisements

I was watching MSNBC DATELINE, and it was about a case involving a homicide in Atlanta, Georgia, where this traditional Asian father had contracted to have his daughter -in - law killed because she was not Asian, but rather a Black American. A terrible tragedy that should have been avoided at all costs. Obviously, he felt strongly enough in his beliefs that he will stopped at nothing...........even murder and the loss of an innocent human being had little meaning for him.

During my studies, I have researched Asian cultures, specifically from India, and know that traditional parents can be exceedingly controlling, when it comes to their children's education, lack of choice of spouse, to the point that many marriages are arranged by them. They can also be very controlling, when it comes to different religions, within their own cultures, and want their children to abide by their cultural differences and marry within their own religion, at all costs.

Education is extremely important to them, obviously because they want their children to be successful in life pursuits. Divorce is not acceptable, which is one of the reasons for the arranged marriages. And there is a class- stratification process within their culture, which is strictly abided by most citizens of that country.

Going back to the case in Atlanta, the main point the defense made was that this father was an extreme racist, and he narrowly missed the death penalty. The cultural differences of that country, and the way that its millions or billions citizens think, never came into focus.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
link to the story?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,236 times
Chiman Rai , 69 was sentenced life in prison

I know of people from India and Bangladesh who care very much about not 'marrying down', but not enough to murder as is the case here. Most 'arranged' marriages are actually setting up dates with the hopes that the two would hit it off. I do feel in certain more introverted cultures this is a common way to match up young people of similar interests. It's foreign to western cultures since we go through school expected to date and breakup and date constantly, in many asian cultures there's just the expectation to attend school to establish a career, not find a potential mate.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:55 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
India has a huge problem with racism specifically geared towards Dalits, or the Black Untouchables. I do try very hard to understand the differences in all cultures vs my own. On going on what little that I know of this event, I just don't think there is any need for layers of understanding of culture here.

Quote:
even murder and the loss of an innocent human being had little meaning for him.
If we look at the cultural differences, why would we suspect that he even regarded her as a human being?

Old 05-26-2010, 06:00 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post

Going back to the case in Atlanta, the main point the defense made was that this father was an extreme racist, and he narrowly missed the death penalty. The cultural differences of that country, and the way that its millions or billions citizens think, never came into focus.

What do you think?
Considering the fact that the trial was held here in the US, I wouldnt think that the culture and traditions of another country would even come up in either defense of prosecution.
Thats the thing here in the US, we expect all people that immigrate to assimilate. Unfortunately, not all are willing, or capable of doing so.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,953 times
Well here in the US our laws do not support self justifying murder. This is really a no-brainer. While in the US abide by US laws.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
I guess one could use cultural differences as a mitigating circumstance, because you can ony plead one of these three ways:
Yes, I did it.
No, I did not do it. or,
Yes, I did it but,....

I don't see it working out that well, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates