Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 PM

155 posts, read 282,931 times

Advertisements

people should marry and have babies with someone they love for who they are.......not for what they are or their skin color
this whole race mixing thing is talked about tooo much
lets just let people marry who ever they want and have babies for all the right reasons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:32 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens with certain genetic disorders such as sickle cell anemia and Tay-sach's disease. Will these genetic disorders which have been historically associated with a specific race or ethnic population be decreased in incidence of full expression, increased, or unaffected?
I would think it would be decreased because it's that way with dogs. Pure breds are more prone to certain types of ailments because it's being passed down by both parents, but if the dogs are mixed, the chances of them inheriting those ailments is less. From what I've read, mutts tend to be healthier as a result.

I'm guess it works the same with other animals, including humans.

I could've sworn there was already another thread similar to this. Anyway, like someone else said. There's only one race:human. Ethnicity are just minor differences people choose to see and identify themselves as.

Who cares what we look on the inside, ethnicity and heritage goes beyond looks. If you want your children to know of their ethnic heritage, teach them.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
People's genetic characteristics have evolved to adapt to the environments that their ancestors moved into so there is a reason for the 'races' to exist (before someone says 'there is no scietific basis for race', let us agree that populations have evolved to organize into populations that share suites of adaptive genetic traits that can be pigeonholed into visibly recognizable genetic groupings known commonly as 'races').

It is true that 'races have been mixing for eons' as a poster mentioned above, but never on the scale we see today what with the ease of movement for populations and the sheer size of the populations that exist to be moved. What once happened as a trickle is now a tidal wave.

I'm not making a judgement on whether it is good or bad but is certainly has never happened on this scale before so there is no telling what social, cultural, or biological ramifications it will have.

ABQConvict

Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is true that 'races have been mixing for eons' as a poster mentioned above, but never on the scale we see today what with the ease of movement for populations and the sheer size of the populations that exist to be moved. What once happened as a trickle is now a tidal wave.

I'm not making a judgement on whether it is good or bad but is certainly has never happened on this scale before so there is no telling what social, cultural, or biological ramifications it will have.

ABQConvict
I think it has to do with technology. Travel has been made easier because of it. People are living where they want to live, and intermingle with other ethnic groups that centuries ago probably wasn't a possibility.
Like you said, our physical characteristic are based on evolution and adaptation to our environment. Our environment (including socially and culturally) is changing and it's opening up the "mating" pool.
As for the biological ramifications, what will be will be that's why I say.
Those physical characteristics that defined different "races" was due to evolution and adaptation. It's now the 21st century and many of that physical characteristics that's common in specific "races" are basically useless now.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Hold on a second and think about that question before you automatically dismiss it as a racist question.

Several years ago I had to take a class in "sensitivity" for my job in corrections. One of the case workers (a Female born in Porto (sic?) Rico) made the statement that when her Grandchildren were grown that the races would be so mixed from interracial marriages that there would no longer be easily identifiable races but everyone would be a light brown color. I had to think about that for a while but after contemplating the idea it made sense.

I see examples of that every day here in Lincoln, Nebraska. The typical African/American is a totally different complexion than the recent immigrants we have from countries like Chad, Somalia, Nigeria etc. Those recent immigrants are a pure racial strain as a rule. The typical African/American that is a descendant of slaves has mixed blood for the most part. Japan is a good example of a population with little racial mixing.

If we lose that "uniqueness" of racial purity it will be lost forever. The variety of the Human Race has always amazed me and the mixing of Races has never bothered me. However I am not sure if having a "Homogenized" population is really a worthy goal. Compare the variety of the human races to a field full of flowers. Would we appreciate flowers nearly as much if they were all one color? I think the analogy can be made with the Human Races.

GL2

I think it depends on the person. I know that a person of a different race came onto me and I wasn't interested and he got upset. I hate it when people do this because then someone else whom feels obligated later because that is not how the felt it was an auto reaction then the next thing you know they start doing it. Why get upset let it be naturally.

If the person likes you they like you if not let it be. It has nothing to do with color. It's in the bible as to why we have different languages yes we speak the same now adays but don't push a person to do something they don't wanna. Next thing you know that person whom was accused is now the perpetrator of pushing the next or themselves.

I have also had people of the same race to which I felt the same way. Whats the difference?

-----

RoadKill

Old 12-30-2009, 06:28 AM

815 posts, read 1,543,424 times
From experience. "The mixed races" is a well-being for short term. They will be morally, physically, are mentally exhausted. Their place will be occupied not with the various. And so on a circle.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloy View Post
From experience. "The mixed races" is a well-being for short term. They will be morally, physically, are mentally exhausted. Their place will be occupied not with the various. And so on a circle.
Can somebody translate this? Or has a machine already translated it?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Instead of worrying about "Racial Purity", you should worry about stupid people procreating. That's a bigger danger to mankind.
I don't think anyone on this topic is "worrying" about racial purity - I think they are worried about the impact of race dilution.

However, I am in total agreement that we need to eliminate or dilute the idiot genes.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
mixing does not eliminate racisim. brazil is a great example.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
once we get all mixed up and have equal amounts of blackness, whiteness and brownness we have to close our borders so no more pure black ,white , or brown people immigrate to the US and crash our "perfect people" party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates