Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think according to Darwin ,there were White people in Africa thousands of years ago along with Black people but the white people got ate up because they couldn't run Jump or climb as fast as the black people, I think?
REALLY?!?

You really think Darwin said that?

Is that what they are teaching about Darwin in Intelligent Design textbooks?

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:23 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
REALLY?!?

ABQConvict
I think that one went right over your head.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
I see the most "homogenizing" in blacks. I do admit to missing the dark-skinned blacks like the ones I grew up with. And I shudder at the thought of everyone "looking the same" centuries down the road.

However, I still think mixing is part of evolution.

Im confused, are there no more dark skinned black people where you live?
Well, ideally we would get rid of bigotry, but that's not likely. So I guess homogenization is second best.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Hold on a second and think about that question before you automatically dismiss it as a racist question.

Several years ago I had to take a class in "sensitivity" for my job in corrections. One of the case workers (a Female born in Porto (sic?) Rico) made the statement that when her Grandchildren were grown that the races would be so mixed from interracial marriages that there would no longer be easily identifiable races but everyone would be a light brown color. I had to think about that for a while but after contemplating the idea it made sense.

I see examples of that every day here in Lincoln, Nebraska. The typical African/American is a totally different complexion than the recent immigrants we have from countries like Chad, Somalia, Nigeria etc. Those recent immigrants are a pure racial strain as a rule. The typical African/American that is a descendant of slaves has mixed blood for the most part. Japan is a good example of a population with little racial mixing.

If we lose that "uniqueness" of racial purity it will be lost forever. The variety of the Human Race has always amazed me and the mixing of Races has never bothered me. However I am not sure if having a "Homogenized" population is really a worthy goal. Compare the variety of the human races to a field full of flowers. Would we appreciate flowers nearly as much if they were all one color? I think the analogy can be made with the Human Races.

GL2
We are already a "homogenized" population Race is a genetic non-issue

Biological differences among races do not exist, WU research shows

One study showed we are in fact more genetically similar across the planet than two troops of chimpanzees living on opposite sides of the same mountain.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
In America mixing the classes is much more of an issue than mixing races. When was the last time you heard of a son or daughter of a family whose wealth goes back many generations married some one who grew up on welfare? Or a Harvard or Yale graduate marring a state college grad or some one with out an education.
White working class men that I know personally forbid their high school daughters from dating Black boys not because they are black but because they think only lower class Whites let their daughters date black boys around here.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:29 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
REALLY?!?

ABQConvict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I think that one went right over your head.
Quite possibly, but some people actually think that way and don't have the good sense to keep their stupidity to themselves.

If only there were a way to indicate sarcasm on the internet.

ABQConvict

Old 01-10-2010, 02:16 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Well, ideally we would get rid of bigotry, but that's not likely. So I guess homogenization is second best.
I don't think that's gonna happen. The only place it is happening at all, is in White countries. Nobody else is being pressured to. The idea here is The White Race has got to go, but not the other races.

"The white race is the cancer of human history." Sontag later issued a partial apology for her statement, saying it was insensitive to cancer victims." ~wikipedia

http://www.murdophoto.com/personalities/images/8%20Susan%20Sontag%20.jpg (broken link)

Whitey, you've been condemned!

Last edited by Chef Boyardee; 01-10-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 10:02 AM

68 posts, read 398,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
In America mixing the classes is much more of an issue than mixing races. When was the last time you heard of a son or daughter of a family whose wealth goes back many generations married some one who grew up on welfare? Or a Harvard or Yale graduate marring a state college grad or some one with out an education.
White working class men that I know personally forbid their high school daughters from dating Black boys not because they are black but because they think only lower class Whites let their daughters date black boys around here.
You're correct in that a Harvard or Yale graduate won't generally marry a person who grew up on welfare, or someone with no education, but somebody who's a state college grad as opposed to a Harvard or Yale grad? Not so sure about that.

I also think that many white people, be they working class, middle class or upper class, still don't want their high school daughters to go out with black guys, at least in part because of race. Some people are genuinely concerned about interdating and/or intermarriage between whites and blacks, however, because, even today, there's still a great deal of stigma attached to it, as well as much hostility towards the idea, which can and does sometimes put a couple in a very tough position.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:57 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,625 times
why do people assume the short term is finality?

pay attention to the other dynamics and take a wider view and you will notice something. as every country and society will end up being industrialized and living in modern conditions, what dictated the various races of the past is going to be moot. the world is global, so is exchange of culture etc and we live in modern shelters. in other words, people are going to end up looking the same and being more similar than different in the distant future because they are going to have similar lifestyles and live sheltered from the elements.

this is understood, of course, by those who understand cause and effect and evolution.

so relax, there are greater things that move and shape the world than someone's provincial and in the greater scheme of things, rather myopic and petty concerns and erroneous beliefs.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:22 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,876 times
I'm old enough to have seen the civil rights movement on TV, to have drank from whites-only fountains, and everyone in my high school was white (or in a very few cases, oriental) when I graduated from there. My parents and grandparents were out-and-out bigots. My father lived long enough to shed some of that when a black couple, a CPA and an engineer with two kids who went to college on full rides, moved next door to him, and was man enough to admit he had been wrong.

There's something about seeing the phrase "racial purity" that I find deeply offensive. I cannot help but believe that at some level, the person who finds "racial purity" to be somehow important finds a need to differentiate, on a qualitative basis, between the races, with the necessary conclusion that his or her race is somehow superior. Otherwise, why would "purity" be at all important?

I am cheered by the thought that my great-great-great-great grandchildren stand a good chance of being a nice cafe au lait color...and if not them, then it will happen, eventually. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates