Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,435 times

Advertisements

According to what President Obama will announce tomorrow, a college education is worth no more than a $90K job for ten years when working for the goverment for 10 years and no more than $45K when working in private industry for 20 years.

Yes, these are the true and hard numbers that will be sold to the masses tomorrow with an ill founded plan to support our failing schools at the local level.

Talk about no child left behind....what about the American standard of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Money, but not much else. Not very many people get really educated in college. They are glorified trade schools for 6-figure professions.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
According to what President Obama will announce tomorrow, a college education is worth no more than a $90K job for ten years when working for the goverment for 10 years and no more than $45K when working in private industry for 20 years.

Yes, these are the true and hard numbers that will be sold to the masses tomorrow with an ill founded plan to support our failing schools at the local level.

Talk about no child left behind....what about the American standard of life.

I am sure the colleges checked out the future demographic trends and realized that we are entering a long period of fewer and fewer 18 year olds every year. They will be losing money big, so they asked for a little payback for all their support.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
90K is a very good income for a BS degree after 10 years of work. Are you really claiming that's not enough? I could easily raise a small family (house + 2 kids through college) on a single 90K income. We wouldn't have a mansion or six Mercedes, but that'd be plenty.

I don't know about your version of the "American Standard of Life" but mine isn't on par with an oil sheik or business tycoon.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Disagree. It's worth in the ball park of $275 to 455k/yr. including bonuses.

And don't worry, there are plenty of shovels and picks for the uneducated masses and others whom the market has already decided it could do without. Most of the 18 year old's are too brain dead anyway, so it'll all work out in the end.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:58 PM

96 posts, read 270,301 times
but when those brain dead masses lose their standard of living, they will be looting and rioting through every gated community and posh suburb.
the harvards and mits will move their schools to shanghai and tokyo.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Overall that varies with degree and person to person. but the national stats are that those with a college education now have a litle over 5% unmployment. That is with the overall being 10%.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:44 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
True hard numbers? You know this for a fact, without anything like a written on and greasy napkin from BK to correlate?

I didn't know you could freeze bull**** into hard facts.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:51 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
It is up to the individual to have success or not. A college education is definately a plus in my opinion. The stats are positive if he's talking about after taxes (that's a joke). And stats to match your point - well.
Finally! Obama is going to address something else besides health care. Before he was telling us that doctors cut off their patient's limbs for the extra bucks. He may be a good lawyer, but I have a hard time swallowing that he is as connected, as he would lead us to believe.
Too little, too late.
Now he raises his finger at us preaching to continue his fight for health care as the Scott Brown election has obviously changed his agenda. Just think if he would have gone on all the network programs and talked about jobs instead of trying to make his "Roosevelt" watermark.
As he talks at us, his lips get tighter everytime I see him speak. The word disingenuous keeps flashing in front of my tele-prompter when I see him speak.
I definatley think "now" he will start talking about jobs (education= jobs).

Education is key.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I don't know about many here, but my college education simply opened the door for me.

That, and the largest contribution, was the ability to learn quickly. In an ever changing job, with constant IT upgrades, and new software to learn, new hardware to learn how to install, and different trouble shooting situations daily, it helps.

Thats what my college education did for me. It got me the job, and it helps me learn the new things I have to daily.

Now, if I could have simply been an academic, I would have probably gone for a history degree. There are a lot more jobs in my field now, then there were history professors though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates