Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times

Advertisements

Hold on a second and think about that question before you automatically dismiss it as a racist question.

Several years ago I had to take a class in "sensitivity" for my job in corrections. One of the case workers (a Female born in Porto (sic?) Rico) made the statement that when her Grandchildren were grown that the races would be so mixed from interracial marriages that there would no longer be easily identifiable races but everyone would be a light brown color. I had to think about that for a while but after contemplating the idea it made sense.

I see examples of that every day here in Lincoln, Nebraska. The typical African/American is a totally different complexion than the recent immigrants we have from countries like Chad, Somalia, Nigeria etc. Those recent immigrants are a pure racial strain as a rule. The typical African/American that is a descendant of slaves has mixed blood for the most part. Japan is a good example of a population with little racial mixing.

If we lose that "uniqueness" of racial purity it will be lost forever. The variety of the Human Race has always amazed me and the mixing of Races has never bothered me. However I am not sure if having a "Homogenized" population is really a worthy goal. Compare the variety of the human races to a field full of flowers. Would we appreciate flowers nearly as much if they were all one color? I think the analogy can be made with the Human Races.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
It will be interesting to see what happens with certain genetic disorders such as sickle cell anemia and Tay-sach's disease. Will these genetic disorders which have been historically associated with a specific race or ethnic population be decreased in incidence of full expression, increased, or unaffected?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:52 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Good question from many angles.

Homogenizing colors and feature might someday eliminate racism. But it will also dilute what makes us different and unique.

As for genetic disorders, it may actually dilute the problem genes and reduce the instances of certain diseases. That is why selective cross breeding is acceptable and encouraged in both cat and dog breeding.

So I think the answer is yes . . . and no.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Mixing races has been going on for thousands of years, regardless of what Hitler thought.

Besides, I don't think race makes that much of a difference. It gives you a sense of what you came from, but it doesn't make you who you are.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I am not mixed races, but nationalities (sp?) so I ask really what is the difference? Most people in the States can't say "I am 100% _____" I have a background of Italian, Irish and German. I love learning about the different cultures etc.

I think it helps everyone understand each other a bit more and discover new and exciting cultures.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
It only would be if everybody did it. If some people do and some don't, then you're emphasizing differences in people. The ones who don't, think they're superior to the ones who do.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Hold on a second and think about that question before you automatically dismiss it as a racist question.

Several years ago I had to take a class in "sensitivity" for my job in corrections. One of the case workers (a Female born in Porto (sic?) Rico) made the statement that when her Grandchildren were grown that the races would be so mixed from interracial marriages that there would no longer be easily identifiable races but everyone would be a light brown color. I had to think about that for a while but after contemplating the idea it made sense.

I see examples of that every day here in Lincoln, Nebraska. The typical African/American is a totally different complexion than the recent immigrants we have from countries like Chad, Somalia, Nigeria etc. Those recent immigrants are a pure racial strain as a rule. The typical African/American that is a descendant of slaves has mixed blood for the most part. Japan is a good example of a population with little racial mixing.

If we lose that "uniqueness" of racial purity it will be lost forever. The variety of the Human Race has always amazed me and the mixing of Races has never bothered me. However I am not sure if having a "Homogenized" population is really a worthy goal. Compare the variety of the human races to a field full of flowers. Would we appreciate flowers nearly as much if they were all one color? I think the analogy can be made with the Human Races.

GL2
Wow. We should take this world wide. Where should we draw the line say, between Europe and Asia? Somewhere in Russia or further West? How about Northern and Southern Italy? They don't resemble each other at all. Where does that leave Spain and Portugal-European or Mediterranean? Different languages so maybe they shouldn't mix.Pure Swedes and pure Hungarians look nothing alike, so that's out. What about India or Turkey? Whom do they belong to? And don't get me started on the Orientals. So many of them. Maybe DNA tests should be mandatory before people have children.
Instead of worrying about "Racial Purity", you should worry about stupid people procreating. That's a bigger danger to mankind.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:25 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:

GL2
I think the biggest problem is mixing CONSERVATIVES with others. This pretty much dilutes any race.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:

If we lose that "uniqueness" of racial purity it will be lost forever.
No, there will still be pockets of skinhead neo-nazis hiding out in the woods, preserving the genetic stock of Aryan purity, like those heritage seeds that even Monsanto can't find and destroy.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:31 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
I do not think that individual "races" will go away anytime soon.

Heck, you can't generalize "race" even ... Africa, it may surprise you, has plenty of "white" people, from former colonial times and along the Mediterranean. During the 2008 Olympics there was a white woman who was born in Zimbabwe who then moved, but still swam for Zimbabwe. A student who got admitted to Harvard is suing them for discrimination since he answered he was "African American" if admitted, and when he came to class, everyone saw he was white, and promptly expelled. There's a ton of white people in Latin America, and also a ton of "mestizos".

I am related to Asian men who are descended from Irish immigrants / slaves / prisoners who were shipped to the Orient and Australia (thanks to some insightful results from a male Y chromosome worldwide database). And since I'm a McCormick, I'm pretty sure I have some French Norman blood in me from way back in the day.

"White" people are in Palestine, Israel, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, and India. Look at the "foreign" fighters they are encountering in Afghanistan - a fair bit of blonde hair / blue eyed people who are not "european" but Caucasoid.

Africa has the most genetic diversity than anywhere else on the planet, even though we generalize nearly everyone from Africa as being "black." Nevermind that a "black" person who I met recently was from Britain and he hated how everyone called him "African American." Nevermind that there are Arabs in Africa who are descended from the ancient invaders who established an Islamic empire. There's lots of people in southern France and Italy who are browner due to those invasions of ancient history.

/end rant

Anyway, to answer your question, no, I don't think "mixing of the races" is anything bad at all and is no different from what has already been happening for centuries through migration, war, and trade. Remember Marco Polo? I'm sure there's a might number of people descended from him in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates