Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:08 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

I can't leave my house for 5 seconds without being barraged by advertisement everywhere I go by billboards, radio ads, flyers, and people dressed up like giant chickens on street corners.

At home, the TV is equal parts adds and programming, Internet is pop-up hell, and even movies regularly imbed "secret" advertising and product hocking right into the story. People are always knocking on my door, cold-calling me and sending me emails trying to peddle their junk too. I'm sick of it!

When will enough be enough? Does it seem like there is more, harder and heavier advertising than before the economy went south? Why do we put up with it? Does everyone else see through the crude manipulation? There is so much more to life than stuff; why won't Americans demand more life and less advertising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 03:20 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I avoid most of that stuff. There aren't many billboards in my area. I change the channel or turn down the volume when radio ads come on, and we're considering getting satellite radio, which is ad-free. I ignore the giant chickens, gorillas, Dunkin Donuts coffee guy, or whatever, but we don't have many of those. There are a few people waving or twirling signs, whom I ignore. I use Firefox and a couple of programs that block pop-ups on my computer. I have one e-mail address that I use solely for ordering things and signing up for things, and I ignore all the junk mail I get there. My other e-mail address is mostly unmolested.

We don't have cable, and we watch our shows online. If we can't get them on Hulu, we'll watch them on the network site and endure the ads for American Express or whatever because we're watching the show for free.

I usually don't answer the door for solicitors, but if one does happen to catch me, he or she is politely sent away empty-handed. We have caller ID and don't answer the phone for anyone we suspect is a solicitor. Junk mail is ignored and shredded, or put in the kindling bin to burn.

That's how I do my part!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:21 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Well, enough was enough a long time ago. Luckily, I have an uncanny ability to ignore the outside world any time I like (one advantage of being a 'dreamer')--which I generally do every time I see or hear an advertisement. My mind goes a thousand miles away. Nine times out of ten, it's simply rhetorical lies anyway. I agree; it's pathetic.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:24 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
^ I'm with you. I don't pay much attention.

I've been married long enough to have developed the ability to pretty much ignore anything I don't want to hear or see.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
I hear ya! It's a drag since some fools decided to aim to have our economy powered 70% by consumer spending it is a necessary evil. Not to sell you anything but sounds like you need a better spam blocker, pop up blocker, a DVR so you can record and then skip the commercials, get a "no soliciting" sign for your front door, and always wear a jaded expression knowing that most people are not that smart and they'll buy anything, it's the American way.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
You can't get away from it. Even on C-D.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:36 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
That all is very annoying but unfortunately there is not much you can do, so just ignore it.
As for computer you can install ad blockers. You can eliminate junk mail by removing your mailbox from the yard/house and get a small post office box (mine is always junk free). You can also post a sign about solicititing at your house door and front yard. And you can register your phone with Do-not-call national registry.
That should cut off some of it.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
I hear ya! It's a drag since some fools decided to aim to have our economy powered 70% by consumer spending it is a necessary evil. Not to sell you anything but sounds like you need a better spam blocker, pop up blocker, a DVR so you can record and then skip the commercials, get a "no soliciting" sign for your front door, and always wear a jaded expression knowing that most people are not that smart and they'll buy anything, it's the American way.
Well, I've pretty much given up on TV, got my "no soliciting" sign last year(they just ignore it ) and put my name on the "do not call list" (but still get calls anyway, but fewer at least).

I could probably use a better spam blocker, though.

Is there such a thing as "soliciphobia"? Because if there is, I've got it. Ads drive me crazy.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:41 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
You can get phobia just about everything. The best way is to learn how to ignore things that annoy you.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:44 PM

It interesting that everyone so far is annoyed by the same thing but we just put up with it. Maybe the isn't anything thing that we can do about it, but then again why SHOULD we put up with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates