Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:18 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times

Advertisements

I would hide it in the old lady's bloomers.
Even I have trouble getting into that.
But we are getting old.
And I know there ain't no way in hell anyone else is getting in there.
She has a gun and knows how to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:49 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Sort of inspired by the national spending priorities thread, but I'm asking if you, personally, had $1,000,000,000,000, what would you do with it?
Well, first I would ask the government to withhold taxes from it so they could **** it away before I did. Then, I would buy a burger, fill up my gas tank and start an anti-tax foundation with the leftover money.

But seriously, with whatever was leftover after taxes, I'd give a third to my sister, some to my friends, dole out some annually to my favorite charities...and buy gold and silver. I pay my bills every month and don't owe any money now and I don't own a house to pay off. My car is paid for. Don't wear jewelry. I'm retired so there is no decision needed to quit a job. No interest in getting on a plane to travel abroad but might ask a friend to accompany me on a year-long road trip around the USA. Maybe I'd buy a new camera. I know, I'm boring.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
..and buy gold and silver. .
With a trillion dollars, you could control about 1/5 of all the gold ever mined on earth. Then manipulate it up to about double its present value, and you'll have two trillion. Now we're talking real money.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:46 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
I know that the first thing I'd do is get the hell out of Michigan.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
A trillion dollars...[drools like Homer Simpson]...I'd have the palatial estate I always wanted, on a nice-sized chunk of real estate. Beyond that--who knows and who cares? My decisions would suddenly be my own. And I suppose I'd find out who my real friends are.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:50 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
I have two really crazy dreams.

1. Buy some land and have a house enough to take 10 teenage (even pre-teen) girls or teenage boys, one or the other not both, foster kids. Adopt them. Have our very own game room, so that when it comes time to party with friends then other kids want to be invited there. Not major but good (a pool table/video games/movies/stereo system. (I have looked at possibilities, so I sure ain't carrying no mansion pictures here). Have our own library-not like a real one but.......a personal one so that we can go into a room and create a report without the internet. Like: We are studying......this tribe and we need 5 sources and 3 must come from books---here you go. Hire a teacher to home school. So, we don't have competing interests and the teacher has the time to utilize all of the workable lesson plans that...........really work. That aren't cut short. That *stick*. Hire a foreign language instructor or 2. Practice on each other and then go utilize it. Make history real. Take them to rain forests. So they know. Take them to Rome. Take them to any African countries that aren't in the middle of a war. Is there an opportunity for you to go work in government at this age? Take it. Apply. These are the risks we take. The good ones. No harm no foul. Find their hidden talents and let them grow. Make a garden. Not a farm, at no point in my life do I want to study which chickens must have sex with other ones. Have someone come out and teach them how to change oil and stuff. Have someone come out and do a time of teaching nutrition for 12 or 1 or 20. Give them time to take a breath and realize that the area that they are in is so small and the world is so big.And I swear, any opportunity for them to go play in the real world and interact, not just read, is good. And more importantly make sure that they get that they will always have a home to come back to. You will never ever have to feel that at 18 your at the curb. You have 12 people that will always have your back. Most people that came from more.......ain't got that. And we don't have to thug to get a false pretensive inclusion deal. We are good. In fact, we are great. And if you don't show up for Thanksgiving, I'll hunt you down and 50 lashes with a wet noodle. Most importantly if 8 walk with confidence they can still say, I love you, I will always love you but ............I cannot support what your doing. That, takes courage. And if I had any money left over, and I most assuredly would, I would do it again.

2. Nah, bored you enough.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
per OP
i would take a break, it would mean i worked a lot harder than i already have to get where i am.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
buy a brand new dodge challenger convertible throw a surf board and snow board in the back and drive across north america but stopping in the smaller towns and go to places and events that get my interest along the way so pretty much just be free I would also love to buy a F-14 tomcat with a former navy fighter pilot to fly me places while I jam to kenny loggins danger zone i mean you could buy a boring G5 with gold and marble or a supersonic plane

Old 01-09-2010, 10:08 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Sort of inspired by the national spending priorities thread, but I'm asking if you, personally, had $1,000,000,000,000, what would you do with it?
Help the homeless, help single moms, buy Walmart and close it down (might need another Tril to do that one), then skip off to my island in the sun and get a really cool dog. Sit on the beach listening to Weezer and drinking cold Heineken for the rest of my life.
Oh yeah, and get a wicked cool old convertible that does not have button to put the top up:-)

Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 AM

74 posts, read 198,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I have two really crazy dreams.

1. Buy some land and have a house enough to take 10 teenage (even pre-teen) girls or teenage boys, one or the other not both, foster kids. Adopt them. Have our very own game room, so that when it comes time to party with friends then other kids want to be invited there. Not major but good (a pool table/video games/movies/stereo system. (I have looked at possibilities, so I sure ain't carrying no mansion pictures here). Have our own library-not like a real one but.......a personal one so that we can go into a room and create a report without the internet. Like: We are studying......this tribe and we need 5 sources and 3 must come from books---here you go. Hire a teacher to home school. So, we don't have competing interests and the teacher has the time to utilize all of the workable lesson plans that...........really work. That aren't cut short. That *stick*. Hire a foreign language instructor or 2. Practice on each other and then go utilize it. Make history real. Take them to rain forests. So they know. Take them to Rome. Take them to any African countries that aren't in the middle of a war. Is there an opportunity for you to go work in government at this age? Take it. Apply. These are the risks we take. The good ones. No harm no foul. Find their hidden talents and let them grow. Make a garden. Not a farm, at no point in my life do I want to study which chickens must have sex with other ones. Have someone come out and teach them how to change oil and stuff. Have someone come out and do a time of teaching nutrition for 12 or 1 or 20. Give them time to take a breath and realize that the area that they are in is so small and the world is so big.And I swear, any opportunity for them to go play in the real world and interact, not just read, is good. And more importantly make sure that they get that they will always have a home to come back to. You will never ever have to feel that at 18 your at the curb. You have 12 people that will always have your back. Most people that came from more.......ain't got that. And we don't have to thug to get a false pretensive inclusion deal. We are good. In fact, we are great. And if you don't show up for Thanksgiving, I'll hunt you down and 50 lashes with a wet noodle. Most importantly if 8 walk with confidence they can still say, I love you, I will always love you but ............I cannot support what your doing. That, takes courage. And if I had any money left over, and I most assuredly would, I would do it again.
Loved this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates