Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:49 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Why do the people from Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit, LA, new york, and other areas feel they are somehow a bad ***? Who cares where you grew up...more than likely all that means is you have a lower than average IQ..it does not mean you are tougher than someone who was raised in say Seattle, or Duluth or even someone from Omaha.

So, why do these people think they are tougher than others? Are their IQ's just so low that is all they see?
Why do you state your opinion as if it's a fact? Right then and there no one is going to take your question seriously.

It's not true, and people know it. Don't understand what you are trying to accomplish here besides insult people. Childish.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:11 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Living in a crowded Urban City is physically harder than living in the Suburbs, I could regale you with personal accounts of how hard my life was growing up in an dangerous Urban neighborhood (20/20 's definition of my neighborhood) but every body has got the same stories I got.

Not withstanding the crime alone, there are too many things to mention that make life physically harder, like learning to dodge cars on a freeway at a young age, moving into a third floor apartment with a refrigerator, bus stops in all weather (I think the heat was worst than the cold)
crowded city life is harder and having a high IQ just made me know its not the end of the world and I will get the hell out of here one day, But that high IQ didn't spare me some very rough edges.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 01-10-2010 at 12:25 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
I grew up in Chicago, and have an IQ of 155. I resent your argument.

Why do people who AREN'T from Chicago, NYC, or LA, always assuming that EVERYONE from those cities are ALWAYS smug?

Of course I don't assume that ... I'm simply highlighting how absurd your argument is.

Even I smell a troll here.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Living in a crowded Urban City is physically harder than living in the Suburbs, I could regale you with personal accounts of how hard my life was growing up in an dangerous Urban neighborhood (20/20 's definition of my neighborhood) but every body has got the same stories I got.

Not withstanding the crime alone, there are too many things to mention that make life physically harder, like learning to dodge cars on a freeway at a young age, moving into a third floor apartment with a refrigerator, bus stops in all weather (I think the heat was worst than the cold)
crowded city life is harder and having a high IQ just made me know its not the end of the world and I will get the hell out of here one day, But that high IQ didn't spare me some very rough edges.
You argument doesn't say that living in a city makes you smart. It says being smart makes living in a city endurable. But if you're smart, you can find a way to survive anywhere.

I have a friend in Alberta, whose daughter spends over two hours a day on a school bus, to get to a k-12 school with a total of 20 students. By the age of 12, she could run the whole farm by herself if she had to. She gets a highly personalized education in the public school, and will get sholarships up the kazoo. Would she have been smarter or more competent if she lived in the Bronx?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 PM

IMO the reason our urban cities and schools are so bad is because people want to believe those people who live there are stupid or why else would they be there. There may be multiple types of intelligences . I know not to assume a home less individual, crack head, thug, or convict is dumber than me. I have seen too many people who chose that life style who are indeed intelligent. feigning a lack of smarts is a good shield to wear in the inner city. Its how so many people become victims., thinking every one is dumber than them selves.

When I went to the pawn shop as a 13 years old I always knew to keep $20.00 in small bills in all my pockets. I knew the owner thought I was another poor ignorant inner city kid who prolly couldn't count money. I knew the $30 -$40 item was prolly hot and if he could get rid of it fast he would take the $20.00 No one had to teach me this.
Not long ago I went back to my old block and saw a face of some one I hadn't seen in 30 years. we couldn't remember each others names but despite the fact he look like a old street guy. I knew him to be a very astute and intelligent kid even though he was drug dealer back then. If I was to have looked down my nose at him (because I was wearing a tie )It might not have been such a pleasant reunion.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Street smarts is not the same as intelligence. Are Bushmen who live in the desert smarter than you are simply because they know how to survive in the desert? Are Inuits smarter than you are because they know how to find food and keep warm in the Arctic winter?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:59 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
lol @ this thread.

we have to compete and fight for EVERYTHING we have. do you know what kind of competition we have to go through in order to succeed??

personally, i have had great education throughout my life.

the OP can't even spell brooklyn correctly and comes off as a person that has an inferiority complex. jealous, much?

Old 01-10-2010, 03:06 PM

I would say yes , (to jtur88) the ones of that group who survive the best have brains comparable to smart people in modern society. We can't say only people in modern societies develop intelligence or we have to assume that people in cities have developed the most intelligence because their environment is more developed than that of an Inuit or Bushman or a rural American for that matter.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I would say yes , (to jtur88) the ones of that group who survive the best have brains comparable to smart people in modern society. We can't say only people in modern societies develop intelligence or we have to assume that people in cities have developed the most intelligence because their environment is more developed than that of an Inuit or Bushman or a rural American for that matter.
On the contrary, once survival strategies are established in the society, everyone learns the functions, which don't require much day-to-day reasoning or intellectualizing to perform. While Bushmen and Inuits may have the intellectual capacity, their everyday activities require no more of that intellect than crossing a street without being hit by a taxi. In fact, avoiding taxis requires no intellect at all, because its a constant repetition of the same tactic, never requiring any additional problem solving skills. Anyone can learn to do that except armadillos.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Street smarts is not the same as intelligence. Are Bushmen who live in the desert smarter than you are simply because they know how to survive in the desert? Are Inuits smarter than you are because they know how to find food and keep warm in the Arctic winter?
Intelligence is just the ability to learn. Being educated is not the same thing as being intelligent anymore than being street smart. I know some very intelligent individuals who, for a variety of reasons, didn't have access to higher education, but because of their intelligence they pick things up quickly, they learn from everything they see, hear, and do.

I also know some individuals who worked hard in school and did their best to learn, but had certain limitations in terms of how quickly and how much they could learn and retain.

I'm not valuing one over the other. I think both have merit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates