Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 2,913 times

Advertisements

It never fails to amaze me how "other" people are quick to tell American blacks how "they" should feel in regard to their own ethnicity. Ah yes, we are encouraged to simply forget the brutality and emotional and psychological scars imposed on African American people and the generations that follow (culturally, educationally, economically, socially and politically). Yes, stop the whining, oversensitivity, and of course the laziness, and so on. And yes, greet all people that emmigrate to the United States legally and illegally, with open arms. They tell us: accept the rallying cry "we know how you feel!" Forget the injustices your families experienced because it makes us feel better, and by the way: it is politically correct to keep this so-called injustice quiet (don't even think about reparations). Avoid the irony of using organizational names and titles like: The National Association for the Advancment of Colored People, The United Negro College Fund. Do this even though it is these organizations that are chiefly responsible for "our" progress here in The United States of America. Even some of our African and Carribean brothers come to live and work here, and want also to tell us how "we" should feel. Wow, this is all very interesting. I wonder: maybe ... just maybe, one day ... all of these well-intentioned folks will take the time to read about the pain and suffering "black folks" here in "Ameiika" have had to overcome with their blood, sweat and tears (yes, this is one of my favorite bands). That said, while not offensive intrinsically, the term "Negro" is historically out of place; 56,000 out of 20 million African Americans does not a consensus make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZPost View Post
It never fails to amaze me how "other" people are quick to tell American blacks how "they" should feel in regard to their own ethnicity. Ah yes, we are encouraged to simply forget the brutality and emotional and psychological scars imposed on African American people and the generations that follow (culturally, educationally, economically, socially and politically). Yes, stop the whining, oversensitivity, and of course the laziness, and so on. And yes, greet all people that emmigrate to the United States legally and illegally, with open arms. They tell us: accept the rallying cry "we know how you feel!" Forget the injustices your families experienced because it makes us feel better, and by the way: it is politically correct to keep this so-called injustice quiet (don't even think about reparations). Avoid the irony of using organizational names and titles like: The National Association for the Advancment of Colored People, The United Negro College Fund. Do this even though it is these organizations that are chiefly responsible for "our" progress here in The United States of America. Even some of our African and Carribean brothers come to live and work here, and want also to tell us how "we" should feel. Wow, this is all very interesting. I wonder: maybe ... just maybe, one day ... all of these well-intentioned folks will take the time to read about the pain and suffering "black folks" here in "Ameiika" have had to overcome with their blood, sweat and tears (yes, this is one of my favorite bands). That said, while not offensive intrinsically, the term "Negro" is historically out of place; 56,000 out of 20 million African Americans does not a consensus make.
You went back to January's posts to dig this up. Excuse me while I get excited

One Post Wonder

Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 AM

152 posts, read 117,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It's the pathetic little mind game they play. Whatever word is current, they object to and make YOU adapt to them by forcing YOU to use their NEW term for themselves. First is was ni**er, then Colored, then Negro, then Black, then African-American. In a few years, they'll figure they'll make everybody jump through hoops again and change it to some other silly-ass name.

It is in the same vein as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic post-iceberg. Now matter how you arrange them (or what you call them) the results are still the same pathetic results as before, almost all sink, very little swim. One day they will realize it isn't the name...., well on second thought, I don't that level of enlightenment will ever come to be.

BBT (Blasphermous but True)

MahiAhiOno

Old 03-30-2010, 01:31 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,720 times
I had no issue with the word being on it.
I would understand some older people feeling that way because they had more experience with overt racism.
Racist slurs really have no effect on me.

Being that I doused the form with alcohol and watched it burn anyway.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:33 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
my post from a similar thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
honestly, i'm very curious about the black population in our country...i wonder if the negro thing will keep younger (and for that matter older) black ppl from filling the census out.

i still feel like its insulting. negro is not on my birth certificate at all. so they did it to attract the older black ppl. do they outnumber the younger black ppl? sacrifice us for the elderly? who said that elderly blacks want to be called negros anyway? whats next, putting:

African American, Black, Negro or Colored

on the census? why not? it isn't that far fetched if we're now throwing negro on the census. might as well reach back to the time we were referred to as colored ppl. maybe great grandparents will rejoice and stand up to be counted now.

*balls it up and throws it in the trash*
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates