Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:36 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,209,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
True and many arent seeing it. Life was not all peachy like it was depicted on Leave it to Beaver.

There is a flaw in believing the family unit was designed to work one particular way. The family needs to be and has been flexible to adapt to changing times.
No, they aren't seeing it. I was just thinking that if that design has so many consistent problems then that is one hell of a shoddy design to begin with.

I wore pearls while vacuuming once. Those and stilletos. Does this count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:04 AM

324 posts, read 571,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
There were a lot of flaws with the 1920's design of the family unit. A lot.
Yes, The Curse of 1920 !

Anyone seriously interested in this subject, here's something for you:
The Curse of 1920

The Curse of 1920

Old 01-14-2010, 11:11 AM

Are you for real? Is that your stance?

That is a whackjob of the highest order.

Last edited by Pandamonium; 01-14-2010 at 11:36 AM..

Old 01-14-2010, 12:47 PM

36,076 posts, read 30,572,748 times
Quote:
Yes, The Curse of 1920 !
Oh, gag. That has got to be the stupidest thing I heard yet this year.

Quote:
I wore pearls while vacuuming once. Those and stilletos. Does this count?
Did it make you feel peachy and satified in knowing you were fulfilling Gods design for your entire existance?

Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 PM

516 posts, read 1,372,044 times
If you think being a SAHM and fulfilling God's plan for your existence only subsists of vaccuuming in pearls no wonder you aren't satisfied.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:14 PM

77,899 posts, read 60,048,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You forgot the basic expedient of reading my post before having an ejaculation.

"Women now comprise more than 50% of the work force in industrialized countries, and at last count, 49.9% of all workers in the USA."

Two separate statements, referring to two different statistics.
The problem wasn't the stats but rather how the conclusion you came to was drawn from them.

Would it hurt you to say once in a while that you got carried away with your hyperbole and made an over the top comment?

Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
The flaw comes from when the parents aren't behaving in a way that they should.. The flaw isn't the design, it's the application.

If a husband beats his wife, obviously the family unit isn't going to work the way it's designed. If a wife is sleeping around, obviously the family unit isn't going to work the way it's designed. I think it's rather rare that everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing and the family unit fails.
I agree that if everyone is doing what they are suppose to the family is stronger and there is less chance of failure. The thing is few people behave as they should. It should be a couple complement each other. The design should not be rigid where one gender has one set of responsibilities (breadwinner) and the other another set (homemaker). There is no reason a marriage can not be successful if both spouses work as long as the domestic duties are also shared. This takes some of the financial burden off the husband and allows the wife the opportunity to be self sufficient if need be and gives her more adult interaction. The problem comes in when the husbands wants that extra paycheck but still feels all the domestic chores and child rearing remain the sole responsibility of the wife. Most women would feel, hey if I have to do it all what do I need him for.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
If you think being a SAHM and fulfilling God's plan for your existence only subsists of vaccuuming in pearls no wonder you aren't satisfied.
Maybe if pearls and stilletos was all she was wearing!

Old 01-14-2010, 02:34 PM

25,364 posts, read 18,504,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
Yes, The Curse of 1920 !

Anyone seriously interested in this subject, here's something for you:
The Curse of 1920

The Curse of 1920
Is this the same 'curse' that every generation since God knows when congers up to explain the decay of society? If you compare the premise of that link to similar writings from even back in Middle English times (around the Chaucer era), you will find the same sentiment, but due to a different scapegoat. You can even go back farther than that and find similar sorts of things. I'm not going to say that there is no 'decay' in society, but I will say that every generation seems to denounce either the generation before them or the generation after for being responsible for the hell the world has become.

With this gentleman, it's not simply the generation thing--now it's women. They are the cause of the hell our world has become. Well... here's a question for you: if the world has been going to hell for at least a thousand years, and women have assumed the 'hell maker' roll only since 1920, who was it screwing the world up before then? If we eliminate women, since they didn't run the show at the time, I guess it must have been men. Or was it the the trolls living under bridges?

Society shapes society. No class or gender scapegoat needed--unless, of course, you're just looking to pat your own 'team' on the a**.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Did it make you feel peachy and satified in knowing you were fulfilling Gods design for your entire existance?

You mean it wasn't the Valium and the bottle of vodka kept underneath the kitchen sink? All this time..............I had no idea that was what made me feel peachy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates