Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 AM

457 posts, read 1,016,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
well, if women are doing 50% of all the work...isn't that pretty well equal instead of exceed the 50% of the work done by men?

Unless you are counting hamsters in the labor pool or something.
ahahhhahhaaaahaaa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
I have to agree with a couple of your points... that stay at home moms shouldn't make 140k a year... Heck, I'd be happy with 10k a year to be a Sahm

But my friends and I who are stay at home moms don't have nanny's, don't go to the pool all summer long, etc... I think there are probably two sects of SAHMs... ones who do it because it's a luxury, that they think they "deserve" and have the nanny and the au pair and the maid, etc.. and those who do it and sacrifice to do so.
God bless those women who have to do it all. One would hope that their employer recognizes their character and gives them the type of training and career advancement that can lead to a comfortable life.

As for compensation? If you are in the pickle by your own accord, then your compensation is through the love of your children, respect of your peers, and through a well deserved wage. If the fault is with a loser deadbeat, then in addition to the above, I hope you are successful in winning judgment in the form of financial inflows. But I would hope you would agree that the public should not step in vis-a-vis anonymous taxation.

S.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Something has got to make having and raising children worth doing since pregnancy has become optional and pensions are available to take care of old age. The economic incentives, or necessity, for having children is no longer there in economically advanced societies. In fact children have become effectively a luxury good and like all luxuries, optional.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:16 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Women now comprise more than 50% of the work force in industrialized countries, and at last count, 49.9% of all workers in the USA. Women account for about 60% of college degrees.

So, women are doing most of the work.
AND being paid less for it.
AND carrying, bearing and nurturing the children besides.

What are the implications of that? What do men contribute?
Ummm, Ok then. Women are doing 'most of the work' you say? And being payed less says you? Oh yea, women are soooo oppressed in the US.. Sorry, I don't see it , personally, and thus, cannot respond, objectively, to your question. Truthfully, in many aspects, it has become somewhat( or is supposed to be from a certain point of view) ....shameful(??) to be male in our nation today. Men are stereotyped to the point of extremes, made out to be lazy, sit on our ass, 'make me dinner, get me a beer' types, across the board. Yes , there are men like this, and also women who like this type. LMAO< I don't drink beer, in fact I don't drink, don't watch sports, and I cook dinner as often as my wife. Same goes for the housework, and I do ALL the yard work. My 'yard' is not the average suburban type either. Nuturing children? Uh huh, the sun rises and sets for me on our son. I changed just as many sh**** diapers as his Mom, OK she bore him, but I was there, through the whole thing, and endured all the nasty names a guy could be called, and the bruising, and I'm supposed to feel....worthless , as a contributing partner, because I am male? (sigh) This "debate' is old, and tiring and I have to go to work.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
* Most women with kids whine and complain whilst enjoying the attention, time off, and red carpet treatment of pregnancy....and do not measure up to the sacrifices made by women of the previous generations (most notably the mothers of husbands). The ones that do are keepers and then some
What is it most women with kids complain and whine about.
Attention, time off and red carpet treatment? How many pregnancies for you.

Just for the record. I worked until my contractins were 2 minutes apart. I managed to accumulate 4 weeks of paid leave and 2 weeks unpaid. So 6 weeks and back to work. I dont recall any magic faries comming in and doing the housework either. Not that its really relevant, just sayin.

I dont even know what you mean by the above bolded.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What is it most women with kids complain and whine about.
Attention, time off and red carpet treatment? How many pregnancies for you.

Just for the record. I worked until my contractins were 2 minutes apart. I managed to accumulate 4 weeks of paid leave and 2 weeks unpaid. So 6 weeks and back to work. I dont recall any magic faries comming in and doing the housework either. Not that its really relevant, just sayin.

I dont even know what you mean by the above bolded.
+1. Frankly, it's these kinds of people that make me want to give up visiting the net/forums all together.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:00 PM

516 posts, read 1,376,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
Bleed BlackGold, I'm pleased to see, there are still some women like you, there!

mamaecho, reading your posts, I wouldn't put you in the category, I described. Actually, I was trying to support/magnify your arguments.

Sandpointian, good post!

Question for board:
What do SAHM and CF, respectively, stand for?
The only CF I know is Cystic Fibrosis... Somehow, it doesn't fit here

SAHM- Stay at home mom
CF - Child Free.. not necessarily that you don't have children, it's an actual group who basically think SAHMs are whining, good for nothing idiots.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 PM

516 posts, read 1,376,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
God bless those women who have to do it all. One would hope that their employer recognizes their character and gives them the type of training and career advancement that can lead to a comfortable life.

As for compensation? If you are in the pickle by your own accord, then your compensation is through the love of your children, respect of your peers, and through a well deserved wage. If the fault is with a loser deadbeat, then in addition to the above, I hope you are successful in winning judgment in the form of financial inflows. But I would hope you would agree that the public should not step in vis-a-vis anonymous taxation.

S.
Oh no, I was in NO way implying I want the government or public to pay me a wage by being a sahm, it was more of a joke than anything.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
Oh no, I was in NO way implying I want the government or public to pay me a wage by being a sahm, it was more of a joke than anything.
Hey, I thought so. A sense of humour? Priceless...puts you in a highly attractive category! From there , you can expect more than $140K in cash, love and other forms of compensation!

S.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Women now comprise more than 50% of the work force in industrialized countries, and at last count, 49.9% of all workers in the USA. Women account for about 60% of college degrees.

So, women are doing most of the work.
AND being paid less for it.
AND carrying, bearing and nurturing the children besides.

What are the implications of that? What do men contribute?
Well, for starters, men contribute to the vast majority of construction projects. Everything from the Empire State Building to the Golden Gate Bridge to your home was built my a crew made up of entirely (or mostly) male workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates