Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:47 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

While not a heady debate, I believe it is relevant to City Data forums, and all forums, in general - Do you prejudge some posters' ideas because of the screen name they have selected? For example, if someone chooses BooBoosBaby, PookieBear or WeinerBoy as their screen name, do you assume they are a lightweight when it comes to opinions in, for example, the Religion and Philosophy forum, the Political forum or the Finance forum? If someone chooses the screen name Tom1947 might you dismiss their posts in a discussion about hip hop in the Music forum? While Slayerz may play well in the entertainment forum, how would it go over in the Retirement forum?

How about with real life names? Do you think someone with a particular first name on a job application might be less likely to be called for an interview. For example, if your parents named you Martha or Reginald might you not get a call back from that company that makes game software because your name sounds old fashioned? If your name is Peaches, how likely is it that you will rise to the level of executive in the finance industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 08:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
It is inconceivable to me that I could choose a "meaningful" name that would still have meaning to me a year or two from now. I do have another e-mail name, which is based on the scientific name of my favorite frog species, which I originally established as a screen name in an amphibian and herpetology discussion group, and it never got spammed, so I still use it and it's now my primary. But generally I use a handle that is extracted from my real name, which is so common, nobody can use it to track me down. I've been using this one since 1994, when I needed a login name for the Tallahassee Freenet. It's been around so long, that googling it now gets 30,000 hits.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Nah, life's too short to label people. I tend to "judge" people by their posts. Same in real life. Ideas and content of character are much better criterium . I have met an amazing variety of people on this forum, some have even become good friends. Their screen names had nothing to do with it.

Mooseketeer is hopefully not too off-putting to too many people but if so then it's not my problem ! I suppose I would have a problem with really crude/vulgar names or racist/homophobic ones but apart from that , who cares?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
While not a heady debate, I believe it is relevant to City Data forums, and all forums, in general - Do you prejudge some posters' ideas because of the screen name they have selected? For example, if someone chooses BooBoosBaby, PookieBear or WeinerBoy as their screen name, do you assume they are a lightweight when it comes to opinions in, for example, the Religion and Philosophy forum, the Political forum or the Finance forum? If someone chooses the screen name Tom1947 might you dismiss their posts in a discussion about hip hop in the Music forum? While Slayerz may play well in the entertainment forum, how would it go over in the Retirement forum?

How about with real life names? Do you think someone with a particular first name on a job application might be less likely to be called for an interview. For example, if your parents named you Martha or Reginald might you not get a call back from that company that makes game software because your name sounds old fashioned? If your name is Peaches, how likely is it that you will rise to the level of executive in the finance industry?
Yes and no. I participate in other forums outside of City-Data. So, I have a tendency to rely on what is said in the post and previous posts.

I know that there was a study that was done several years ago that said that people were more likely to be hired with common names. I have to wonder how long that is going to carry on or if it is still relevant today. If as an employer one cannot get beyond the name Peaches then they don't really need to be in a position of power. The problem is not with the name but with the individual hiring. And if the individual is that shortsighted then they are in the wrong game in the finance industry.

A company that makes game software isn't going to focus on the name. They will be looking for abilities that gives them the competitive edge.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I think LauraC has a good point. The user name is the first thing people see when they are reading a post and that has to make an impression.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:57 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Ok, and then what? You have your first impression but if you don't have the brains to read the post then its not the fault of the name.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
To be honest, I rarely look at posters names, unless their posts are worth reading after a quick glance. Even then, I only use names to know the regular folks around here, and their arguments.

A name means little to my perception of an issue.

Now, the only difference to that statement, is when someone with a mans name, posts as a woman.

Like, I saw "John 3379" or something like that, and the poster said she was a woman, and it was in the relationship section. Its been a while. That just kind of threw me off, and one poster even commented on it.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
what would you assume about my username??

Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
what would you assume about my username??
You like guns, and martial arts.

Whether that makes you a man or a woman, who knows. I'd bet on man, if forced to, simply on statistical numbers.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You like guns, and martial arts.

Whether that makes you a man or a woman, who knows. I'd bet on man, if forced to, simply on statistical numbers.

winner! winner! chicken dinner!

can i make an assumption about you? okay...

you have lived in Memphis for the majority of your life...at least graduated high school in Memphis. and you're a 30 year old female about to be celebrating your 31st B-Day really soon!

Last edited by rugerjitsu; 02-02-2010 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: i suck at math...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates