Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 02:12 PM

242 posts, read 1,002,136 times

Advertisements

How can The Domincan Republic and Haiti be so different and it's on the same island?

Want to get the take on this from other members.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:27 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
How can The Domincan Republic and Haiti be so different and it's on the same island?

I've been there, and honestly, the DR and Haiti are NOT that much different. In fact I can tell you, first hand, why all their buildings collapsed in this earth quake.

However, I would have to say the main difference is what decades of different types of government have done to each country's morale, wealth and infrastructure.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I've been there, and honestly, the DR and Haiti are NOT that much different. In fact I can tell you, first hand, why all their buildings collapsed in this earth quake.

However, I would have to say the main difference is what decades of different types of government have done to each country's morale, wealth and infrastructure.
Well it seems they are so different, that Domincan Republic was unscathed from the earthquake, where it brought down Haiti to rubble.

Guess that goes back to where you mentioned infrastructure.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:57 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Yeah, the people in the DR have definitely been put through the wringer. Trujillo should never be forgotten. The lesson that has repeatedly followed both countries, and something that the US has its own history in, is that when your living hand to mouth you cannot revolt. Example: leading the civil rights movement and womens liberation movement are not those in deep poverty. The DR has plenty of poverty.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:03 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,144 times
Quote:
Well it seems they are so different, that Domincan Republic was unscathed from the earthquake, where it brought down Haiti to rubble.

The very shallow 7.0 earthquake's epicenter was directly under Port O Prince. Even the rest of Haiti did not suffer catastrophic damage, some areas not 20 miles away received no damage whatsoever. The DR barely felt it. Luck of the draw this thing happened where 3+million people - one third the population of Haiti - are stacked ontop one another.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:

Its not like its some small little Island out there. Its the second largest land mass in the Caribbean. Its almost 30,000 Sq Miles in size. Thats about the size of South Carolina. If you've ever been there, you'd realize that a major Earthquake on one side of the state, wouldn't be as bad on the other side.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:16 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,300 times
Quote:

Different in terms of what? The island is called Hispaniola, and yes occupied by The Domincan Republic, which I believe was settled by the Spanish, hence, the primary language is Spanish, and Haiti, settled by the French, with the language being French or French/Creole..I saw others responses, but wasn't sure what you meant. If you're talking about why Haiti got hit with the earthguake, and not La Republica Dominicana, honestly, I kinda wondered that myself.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

This is what I have wanted to say on every forum where this question is asked..........in superficial ways, the two sides of the island have differences (language, etc.). But Haiti and the Dominican Republic are not that different.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:

Please stop SHOUTING in color (or black & white) just stop shouting. Please....

Old 01-17-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Please stop SHOUTING in color (or black & white) just stop shouting. Please....
Shouting?? What are you talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates