Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
How in the world can you say Latinos are awful drivers, but it isn't racist? Sort of an oxymoron don't you think?
Midgets lare awful basketball players, and paraplegics are awful sprinters, and autistics are awful lawyers, and men are awful breast-feeders. Where does a statement stop being true and become an affront to your kneejerk political correctness?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is one thing that I am sure of, though. Illegal aliens are the safest drivers in the country. They cannot afford the fatal error of being stopped by the police, or even attracting their attention.
And exactly how are you sure of that? You'd think the same thing about criminals and people with warrants out for them, but they don't. Police get felony arrests from traffic stops all the time because criminals are stupid and are not safe drivers even when the police are looking for them. I doubt illegal aliens are much different because people are people and haven't really changed for thousands of years. They broke the law to get here, why would they worry about breaking more laws?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
And exactly how are you sure of that? You'd think the same thing about criminals and people with warrants out for them, but they don't. Police get felony arrests from traffic stops all the time because criminals are stupid and are not safe drivers even when the police are looking for them. I doubt illegal aliens are much different because people are people and haven't really changed for thousands of years. They broke the law to get here, why would they worry about breaking more laws?
Same way I'm sure of everything else that I'm sure of. Observation and logic. How do you become sure of things? I would conclude that criminals who have a warrant out for their arrest probably drivel more cautiously than they would drive if there were no warrant for their arrest. Similarly, illegal aliens drive more cautiously than they would if they had a green card.

Most criminals go for a very long time without being apprehended at traffic stops, possibly due to incrased caution. It is an outrage to reason and logic for you to assert that 'you are sure' that every illegal is too stupid to drive cautiously, and therefore the absence of documentation has no effect on the general traffic discipline in America.

Sadly, by the mere fact of driving a car in the USA, you surrender many of your constitutional rights. You are presumed guilty, until you prove your own innocence, of being intoxicated or impaired, having no license, no insurance, and an unsafe vehicle, with drugs or illegal weapons hidden inside it. If a criminal or an illegall simply avoids driving a car, the chances of being arrested are very close to zero. The police can use "going too slow" as suspicion to stop you, and then their power to compel you to prove your innocence is unlimited. Believe it or not, I was once stopped by a cop because my car had license plates from a province in Canada that he had never heard of, and he stated that to be the reason. I had to prove, with documentation, that there was really such a place as Prince Edward Island. It didn't help much when I told him it was a penal colony off the coast of South America.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-24-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,104 times
" I would guess" Nice observation and logic. It's a fact that criminals with warrants and illegals are pulled over for traffic stops every day. No where did I assert that EVERY illegal or criminal was too stupid to drive cautiously, that is your assumption. Now you're jumping to the conclusion that documentation has an effect on the general traffic discipline in America? Nice reach, more logic I suppose.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
" I would guess" Nice observation and logic. It's a fact that criminals with warrants and illegals are pulled over for traffic stops every day. No where did I assert that EVERY illegal or criminal was too stupid to drive cautiously, that is your assumption. Now you're jumping to the conclusion that documentation has an effect on the general traffic discipline in America? Nice reach, more logic I suppose.
I corrected 'guess' with 'conclude' as you were writing.

I only need one illegal who drives carefully to prove my point. You need to prove that there are none. It's also a fact that somebody wins the lottery every day, but that doesn't make it a guiding principle that you can depend on. Somebody gets struck by lightning every day. That is an unconvincing statistic.

It is a well known truism that fear of the police affects human social behavior. Fear of attracting police attention follows that pattern, in influencing the driving habits of people who fear the police. How on earth could anybody think otherwise?

I already acknowledged that driving a car places a wanted person at higher risk of detection and apprehension. Do you think you and I are the only people who are privy to this rare kernel of universal wisdom, or do you think the criminals and illegals might know that, too, and conduct themselves accordingly?

Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,413 times
honestly, i wonder if the OP has something against latinos and is only noticing latinos that are bad drivers? if you look hard enough for something you will find it.

there are a ton of non latino bad drivers, moreso than latinos, i'm willing to bet but i bet you won't create a thread about them.

the thread is offensive, to be honest.

you cannot necessarily tell that a person is a latino from looking at them, anyway because latinos come in a variety of races so the argument is garbage from the start. again, i feel like the OP is using latinos as a scapegoat, here. you're stereotyping ppl by skin color (using the "typical latino skin color" and trying to make your argument that they are "awful" drivers. so your post is racist).

Old 01-24-2010, 02:19 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,658 times
Yikes...here comes my abuela...

Old 01-24-2010, 02:31 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,528 times
Quote:
Midgets lare awful basketball players, and paraplegics are awful sprinters, and autistics are awful lawyers, and men are awful breast-feeders. Where does a statement stop being true and become an affront to your kneejerk political correctness?
But height is involved in basketball playing. sprinting needs full use of appendages and law-talkin needs certain cognitive faculties. I don't see where ethnic/linguistic and familial background is inherently part of driving skill.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
But height is involved in basketball playing. sprinting needs full use of appendages and law-talkin needs certain cognitive faculties. I don't see where ethnic/linguistic and familial background is inherently part of driving skill.
So, obviously, being Hispanic has nothing to do with driving skill or attitude. Thank you for your support.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:45 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,564,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
People from different parts of the world often drive in manners not considered "sane" in the United States. People here always complain about reckless American drivers and how bad it is to drive in Boston, New York, or other major U.S. cities, but we are actually fairly tame compared to the rest of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9C6C...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrxTpbNOxOw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfBun...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZBuDPx9r44&feature=fvw
Quote:
You forgot about Hanoi. Thge Taj Mahal is now the second most photographed subject in the world, falling behind Hanoi traffic. Tourists to to Hanoi just to videocam the traffic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roloyznfujk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_5uMtPqPtQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd_CMERiTsA
Good lord, my blood pressure went up just watching that.
I hate traffic and would surely die from sress related heart disease in about three minutes if I lived in any of those places....sad to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates