Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:40 PM

116 posts, read 83,838 times

Advertisements

In my case, yes. I am the oldest and the only child of my mother's first marriage. My folks divorced when I was 6, my mother remarried and had 2 more children with her new husband. Not only was the age difference a tough pill to swallow, but my 2 younger brothers got most of the attention and were sent to great schools, while I was put in a crappy school. My stepfather would tell me how I was "practical" rather than "academical", hence the fact that I was never pushed to go to school, while my 2 younger brothers both completed their degrees and are now successful.

Although I am not bitter anymore (well into my 30's now), the damage has been done. I have little self-confidence and relations with my family are virtually non-existent (don't speak to my brothers at all).

So in some cases, it can be worst being the oldest, especially if you end up pushed aside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I don't know, but the eldest child certainly gets her picture taken more often. There are countless photos of my oldest sister as a baby and as a child. Then there are pictures of her with the next sister and separate pictures of the two of them. Then my brother, the first boy. Lots of pictures of him. I was fourth. There's like one crinkled black-and-white baby photo in existence.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
In most families the eldest being born first is born when the parent are younger and least successful. So that seems pretty accurate except that some can be young at a critical time i their life during a downturn.But even these often trun out to be moire succcessful because they thrive when it ends.An example is some I know who were first seeking jobs in the middle of the 70's recession. They really prospered once the economy turned. many own their own successful business which I doubt evr would ahve except they did what they had to do and it worked out well for them.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
I am the youngest w/ 3 brothers. My mom wanted a girl but gave up after just having boys. My older brothers used to pick on me & call me names esp if they had to take me places with them because my mother made them. I think my oldest brother gets a lot more favoritism & privileges because he is the first born.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
I'm the oldest of five children.

The big brother, with four little sisters.

I got away with murder.

Our parents couldn't keep up as I coached my younger siblings on the do's and don'ts....

The only person in my life that is closer to me is my wife.

My oldest sister has 5 boys.

It's a riot.....

Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
In my case, yes. I am the oldest and the only child of my mother's first marriage. My folks divorced when I was 6, my mother remarried and had 2 more children with her new husband. Not only was the age difference a tough pill to swallow, but my 2 younger brothers got most of the attention and were sent to great schools, while I was put in a crappy school. My stepfather would tell me how I was "practical" rather than "academical", hence the fact that I was never pushed to go to school, while my 2 younger brothers both completed their degrees and are now successful.

Although I am not bitter anymore (well into my 30's now), the damage has been done. I have little self-confidence and relations with my family are virtually non-existent (don't speak to my brothers at all).

So in some cases, it can be worst being the oldest, especially if you end up pushed aside.
all the different answers and experiences so far prove that it is more about the people or parents and how they deal with thier children than about what number you are born. what one goes through as an eldest in one family maybe reversed in another family etc or totally different.

also, your incident has to do with mixed families which is a whole 'nother ball and wax. there is often a dark side to mixed families though i have to point out that there are good mixed families or where there are not serious issues or problems too. but many times, there are situations (again, because we are talking about character of people involved) where they mistreat or abuse stepchildren and even birth parents go along with it. still, overall, it all has to do with the character of the parents and thier personal values whether they were good or bad parents.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
cant speak for all but 14 years diff between me and kid sister and brother. totally different style of child rearing, mine -- camp pendleton, theirs-- married with children al bundy.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:02 AM

116 posts, read 83,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
all the different answers and experiences so far prove that it is more about the people or parents and how they deal with thier children than about what number you are born. what one goes through as an eldest in one family maybe reversed in another family etc or totally different.

also, your incident has to do with mixed families which is a whole 'nother ball and wax. there is often a dark side to mixed families though i have to point out that there are good mixed families or where there are not serious issues or problems too. but many times, there are situations (again, because we are talking about character of people involved) where they mistreat or abuse stepchildren and even birth parents go along with it. still, overall, it all has to do with the character of the parents and thier personal values whether they were good or bad parents.
Very good points. With "mixed families" as you put it, I would expect that the oldest child (of the first marriage) would be the one that gets the short end of the stick. I'm sure that many mixed families prove to be successful, but mine certainly wasn't.

Bottom line is that if you have multiple children, do your best to treat them equally and encourage them to find their personal "niche". Favoritism can prove to be damaging and such damage can often be permanent.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:05 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Does the eldest child get it worst?

I think so. I hate being the eldest.
Get what worst? I'm the eldest, and I don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Come on Fred, you know......

What? Still lost?

Its called the OMG someone should feel sorry for me because of the order of birth------of which *I* couldn't possible control thing.

Otherwise known as the debate forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates