Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times

Advertisements

How many chances are we suppose to give someone to keep their promises? At what point do we become a sucker and excuse-maker for someone who just wants to keep feeding us lines of baloney? Politicians bank on us buying their lines over and over again....but so do other people in our everyday lives. How would you define the concept of blind trust? Look forward to your comments....Thanks CK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNMPvFZctIA

Here is an add I co-wrote in 2000 about that problem.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM

96 posts, read 270,234 times
it is an inherently corrupt political system where money rules and congressmen and senators are bought and sold pros.
the masses are programmed by the corporate media and will keep falling for it over and over again.
mark twain and pt barnum were right.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:00 PM

hilgi...Sorry. I couldn't open up your link. Will keep trying. I'd like to hear what you wrote. Thanks for posting

Old 01-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Keep telling me what I want to hear and I will keep trusting you no matter what....I don't want to admit that I might have made a mistake in trusting you....This wouldn't look good for me. And the truth is...I am not ready to throw you overboard quite yet. This would involve too much work on my part. So keep on feeding me lines of baloney and I will keep on making excuses for you. AND SO BE IT...AND AMEN.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Politicians are masters of deception, and deflection.

Think of it this way. Your boss brings you into office, and he is going to chew you out over something you did, or fire you.

Now, you know your bosses pet peeve is employees taking unauthorized breaks, so you snitch on a co worker you know who takes those breaks, all day long.

Instantly, your boss forgets about what you did, and fires the co-worker.

This is what politicians do, let me change the story a bit.

You're up for re-election, and you pushed through an unpopular war, and maybe fibbed a bit to get us into one.

Now, the voters are mad at you, so they are going to probably vote against you. However, you know that the main base are highly religious oriented, and are easily scared of people wearing turbins on their head.

So you get gay marriage ammendments put on the ballot in all or most of the swing states, because you know that voters really don't like that, and they'll likely vote for you if they are voting against it. Also, you'll tell people that if they don't vote for you, then we'll be over run by terrorists, and you are the only one who can save us from them.

Don't think it can happen that way? Wrong, Bush/Cheney did it in 04.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 PM

dreamisland....Agree with what you wrote. Thanks. How ironic that everyday people were brought into the stock market in vast numbers in order to fund their retirement accounts and earn extra income. This tied average Americans to the success and profits of corporations. It was a brilliant scheme. Why would anyone want to complain about what corporations do...or don't do if they depend on corporations for their retirement fund or income?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
hilgi...Sorry. I couldn't open up your link. Will keep trying. I'd like to hear what you wrote. Thanks for posting
I have had trouble posting links for two days.

If it does not work just search for battered voter syndrome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNMPvFZctIA

Old 01-28-2010, 12:40 PM

Memphis...Great post and good points. I totally believe everything you wrote. IT's weird to sit back and watch other people get jerked around and manipulated....without being able to do anything to stop it. Don't you think? It's impossible to talk to people when they are dead sure that they are right. They can sur get nasty and defensive and self righteous at times.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:18 PM

hilgi...THanks. I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates