Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:53 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I'll be the free one who has actually LIVED my life and not saddled with snot-nosed brats, laughing as I pass by at those who jumped at the "benefits package".
Why does the "anti-kid" crowd always seem so bitter and angry? Shouldn't you be giddy with life considering that you don't have to deal with "snot-nosed brats"?

IMO, to each their own. If you want to have kids, then have kids and take care of them, be the best parent you can possibly be. Raise a responsible child who will contribute to the next generation. If you don't want to have kids, that is fine too.

I've always said, "never trust anyone that doesn't like kids or dogs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 09:04 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
I've thought about this same topic before. It is definitely true that our society is running against nature. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing. With our increased lifespan and health, nature would dictate that women have child after child throughout their birthing years. By delaying having children, it limits the number of children that most families will have. I do wonder where the breaking point is, because it doesn't seem like the age can be pushed back much without reproductive advances. I've known a lot of people that have had reproductive issues in their 30s. We had our first child at 30 and just had our second (and probably last) at 33.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
At one time, it was perfectly normal for a 13-year old girl to get married. Loretta Lynn, I believe, married at that age.

The development issue: some think there's a link to BGH in milk. Of course, that doesn't apply if the kid doesn't DRINK milk.

The education issue: Quite frankly, in my working experience, there is a need for continuing education--even a one-day seminar twice a year could be considered continuing education.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:52 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
At one time, it was perfectly normal for a 13-year old girl to get married. Loretta Lynn, I believe, married at that age.
ewwww. she also said her husband beat her up but that was how it was back then. she has a somewhat good story because she became famous for her singing and had something of her own but that's not the case for everyone in her situation. i remember a lady was telling me about her mother and how horrible it was seeing her mother have no life and no dreams. talk about taking one step forward and five steps back. this should never be the norm again.

there are lots of kids having kids today and it's not good. if they were married, they would still be kids and just controlled by some man probably twice or three times thier age. disgusting, degenerate and sad.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:41 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,763 times
How many of you work with 13 year old girls? I do. While many of them may look mature, they are definitely not. If they were to marry, much less reproduce, the instances of divorce and child abuse would likely increase greatly. These girls like one boy one day and another the next. They can't remember their purse or their schoolwork; what would happen to a baby?

Also, Loretta Lynn left a life of poverty when she married her husband. He treated her more like a child, and he cheated on her and hit her. Why would a man want a child for a wife? I would think only if something were wrong with him, or if no mature woman would have anything to do with him.

Young women need a chance to grow and mature before they have babies. One reason so many grandparents are raising their grandchildren is because girls had babies too young.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
How many of you work with 13 year old girls? I do. While many of them may look mature, they are definitely not. If they were to marry, much less reproduce, the instances of divorce and child abuse would likely increase greatly. These girls like one boy one day and another the next. They can't remember their purse or their schoolwork; what would happen to a baby?

Also, Loretta Lynn left a life of poverty when she married her husband. He treated her more like a child, and he cheated on her and hit her. Why would a man want a child for a wife? I would think only if something were wrong with him, or if no mature woman would have anything to do with him.

Young women need a chance to grow and mature before they have babies. One reason so many grandparents are raising their grandchildren is because girls had babies too young.
I'm not purposing 13 year old girls should have kids, I'm saying 18 or 19 year olds, while they are attending college.

I don't know anyone who thinks 13 year old kids should be having babies. My mother was 16 when I was born, and I'd say thats the minimum age anyone should be having kids.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm not purposing 13 year old girls should have kids, I'm saying 18 or 19 year olds, while they are attending college.

I don't know anyone who thinks 13 year old kids should be having babies. My mother was 16 when I was born, and I'd say thats the minimum age anyone should be having kids.
Who is going to raise these babies while their mothers are in college? Once again 18 and 19 year olds do not usually know what they want out of life yet. Most of them do know they don't want to be raising a baby. When they have one young, the girl's mother usually gets to raise her grandchild. This is not an ideal situation for anyone. Also, do you think the father of the child should be 18 or 19 too? Or do you think an older, more established man should be the father?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:30 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Who is going to raise these babies while their mothers are in college? Once again 18 and 19 year olds do not usually know what they want out of life yet. Most of them do know they don't want to be raising a baby. When they have one young, the girl's mother usually gets to raise her grandchild. This is not an ideal situation for anyone. Also, do you think the father of the child should be 18 or 19 too? Or do you think an older, more established man should be the father?
Lots of mothers go to college, while raising children at the same time. Also, if giving the children childcare while their mothers are in school, you can start education early. So children can concentrate on language and reading while between the age of 1 and 4, when its scientifically been proven as the best time for a child to learn these things. That could give us an advantage over other countries who have better education systems as it is now.

But the time a 18 year old completes a 4 year degree, the child will be 4 or 5, starting kindergarten anyway. Leaving the mother to concentrate on her career, and not having to worry about her fertility later. This would also free up some of the worry about losing your job, to have a child, and raise it until its 5. Increasing the mothers overall lifetime work output.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:35 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
How convenient for you to have decided my productivity on a lifetime scale.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Lots of mothers go to college, while raising children at the same time. Also, if giving the children childcare while their mothers are in school, you can start education early. So children can concentrate on language and reading while between the age of 1 and 4, when its scientifically been proven as the best time for a child to learn these things. That could give us an advantage over other countries who have better education systems as it is now.

But the time a 18 year old completes a 4 year degree, the child will be 4 or 5, starting kindergarten anyway. Leaving the mother to concentrate on her career, and not having to worry about her fertility later. This would also free up some of the worry about losing your job, to have a child, and raise it until its 5. Increasing the mothers overall lifetime work output.
Shouldn't everything you are saying be up to the woman? I don't know many 18 year olds who want to have a baby. Just because some man decides it is the right time won't change their mind. Why should it? Also, most mothers would like to have their children when they have time to spend with her or him. This sounds like something out of a science fiction novel anyway, where people's lifes are decided for them. It will never happen in America, thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates