Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:37 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
... If as an employer one cannot get beyond the name Peaches then they don't really need to be in a position of power. The problem is not with the name but with the individual hiring. And if the individual is that shortsighted then they are in the wrong game in the finance industry.
Employers DO consider names, and rightly so.

I doubt someone named Peaches would easily be hired in a representative business position. Collegues in high up positions would be referring to that person by name to other business people, and it would sound silly.

Like it or not, there have been studies about names and success. It starts while young. Teachers and others treat kids differently according to their names. Sarah or Anna might be taken more seriously than Edith or Jessica. Michael or John might be taken more seriously than Larry or Clayton or Clifford.

The sound of a name is part of the attraction to that person.

As far as screen names; as someone else stated, with jason'smommy or something similar, indicates that the person has no identity other than being the 'mommy' (indicates immaturity) of said child.

Say you're in the parent forum. You are posting on a thread about teens. Someone with 'mommy' in their screen name posts advice or an opinion. I always take that into consideration since it indicates that that person has a small child(ren) and has no idea about raising teenagers. Credibility is at stake.

IMO, names play a huge part in one's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 01:42 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
No, I really don't make any significant judgements based on someone's name. Names for me are so incredibly meaningless--I've never attached importance to a name, never cared for my own name, never wanted people to call me by name. I have trouble remembering people's names sometimes. To me it's more about the actual person. If I like them, I generally like their name. It might help me remember it more than others; sometimes not. Names are just that: labels. And I've never been one for attaching anything of importance to a label.

One thing about forum names though, I generally don't try to figure out anything about the person based solely on the name; however, I happened to see one name on here right before I posted this: gunlvvr or something. So... I think, well--just *perhaps* that person likes guns?? You would think, though you never know. That's about the only thought that went through my mind though--I don't know anything about that person's posts though, so I can't make anymore judgements about them.

Hey! There you are. I knew I saw your name somewhere. So do you like guns then?
Hi Basil,
To answer your question: Yes I love guns. I had the fortune to grow up on a ranch/farm with parents that loved firearms. My Dad taught me how to shoot and handle firearms at an early age, very early LOL. As a kid by shooting game and fishing I could help Dad & Mom financially by them not having to buy meat at the grocery store.

When I went to college I was exposed to a lot of people that had an open hostility towards guns. I could never understand that attitude. After College I was fortunate to have the funds to indulge my often expensive firearms habits. I have owned hundreds of rifles and handguns in my 60+ years and I still enjoy shooting. I am now full circle in my type of shooting. My first love affair with a firearm was a .22 caliber rifle. I have several loves now and with the exception of two large caliber pistols and one .338 Winchester Mag rifle, they are all .22's.

GL2

Old 02-03-2010, 01:45 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Hi Basil,
To answer your question: Yes I love guns. I had the fortune to grow up on a ranch/farm with parents that loved firearms. My Dad taught me how to shoot and handle firearms at an early age, very early LOL. As a kid by shooting game and fishing I could help Dad & Mom financially by them not having to buy meat at the grocery store.

When I went to college I was exposed to a lot of people that had an open hostility towards guns. I could never understand that attitude. After College I was fortunate to have the funds to indulge my often expensive firearms habits. I have owned hundreds of rifles and handguns in my 60+ years and I still enjoy shooting. I am now full circle in my type of shooting. My first love affair with a firearm was a .22 caliber rifle. I have several loves now and with the exception of two large caliber pistols and one .338 Winchester Mag rifle, they are all .22's.

GL2

good stuff...

Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 PM

5,011 posts, read 7,218,725 times
I don't judge people on their names, that would be ridiculous. My father, for example, had a horribly old fashioned German first name. While I'm glad he didn't give it to me, his old fashioned name in no way symbolized who he was. In fact, it was such an obscure name, my friends thought it was cool.
The names some people choose to use on forums can be more telling-a hobby, a tribute to some one,a summation of their personality. Or they can mean nothing at all. They're kind of like personalized vehicle tags.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,922,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I don't think that's right at all. A name is just that: a label. It shouldn't have any significant bearing on the person, especially since most of the time, that person didn't choose their name.

Quote:
I doubt someone named Peaches would easily be hired in a representative business position. Collegues in high up positions would be referring to that person by name to other business people, and it would sound silly.
I'd rather have someone named Peaches as a representative business partner who has a strong work ethic, does a good job, and gets along well with others than some moron named... I don't know... Jennifer... who doesn't work well at all (now if it comes down to two good potential workers named Jennifer or Peaches... okay, perhaps the stuffy business people might choose Jennifer. But if I were Peaches I wouldn't want to work there anyway ;)

Quote:
That sounds superficial to me. The person themselves should be what makes them attractive. I've known or heard of lots of people with a name that initially I didn't really care for. But after getting to know the person themselves, I've found that the name now has a lot more (or even different) meaning to me than before I knew anyone with that name.

Quote:
Say you're in the parent forum. You are posting on a thread about teens. Someone with 'mommy' in their screen name posts advice or an opinion. I always take that into consideration since it indicates that that person has a small child(ren) and has no idea about raising teenagers. Credibility is at stake.
Credibility? On an internet forum? You do know that such a thing doesn't exist, right? Okay, I'll make sure when I go on a parenting forum I'll use "[name]'s mommy" as my screen name even though I'm not a parent, I don't have experience with kids, and I'm not female. But I won't give advice if they're asking questions about teenagers. Only small children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Hi Basil,

GL2
That's awesome, GL2.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,371 times
Quote:

Like it or not, there have been studies about names and success. It starts while young. Teachers and others treat kids differently according to their names. Sarah or Anna might be taken more seriously than Edith or Jessica. Michael or John might be taken more seriously than Larry or Clayton or Clifford.

As far as screen names; as someone else stated, with jason'smommy or something similar, indicates that the person has no identity other than being the 'mommy' (indicates immaturity) of said child.

IMO, names play a huge part in one's life.
I have already acknowledged those studies that involve employment and I believe that they are about a decade old. Reread.

Employers look for people that are qualified.

If Peaches can handle million-dollar accounts and make it look effortless then your going to keep Peaches. In fact, if your (general) HR is still trying to figure out if Pamela conjures up images of big boobs someone else hired Peaches and your losing accounts. Now that is silly. Especially, if you had that in your grasp.

Now, in the past 15 years anyone who has been in the education field and particularly those that have graduated in the last 15 years has been through an extensive course or two on diversity. Period. You would have had to been dumb as rocks to not be aware. Especially due to the level of awareness that the majority of teachers are white and middle class.

If you truly think that a screen name indicates credibility you deserve to get taken for a ride. I've posted in the parenting forum here. If you go into the parenting forum and ask for advice and manage to say something that is not delusional then you will have about 20-30 responses. You may have 2 or 3 arguments.

In those 2-3 arguments, you will see a huge divide and at some point someone will call out someone else out for stating or restating something that is in another section like education or health or relationships or P&C or finances. And do you know why that IS?

Because we read the posts.

Now, if you haven't been around long enough to recognize who is posting that is forgivable. But if you have been here for a minute. YOUR credibility is shot because there are NO EXCUSES.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,280,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendrive View Post
People assume my handle means I am on some journey to enlightenment. A drive for zen, if you will.
I thought it was some kind of meditative computer hardware.

I suppose you could surmise from my screen name that my name is Stan, and my whole life I have been called "Stan the Man" (c'mon, think of some new ones, people!). From that you could be led to believe that I am male.

And you could be right, or not.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:10 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
There's an interesting book by Lynne Palmer: Use Astrology And Change Your Name, she has worked with would-be movie stars in selecting the name that will help bring them success. When you discover the real names of some movie stars, there's no way Jose, they would have achieved their success using their given names. Let's say the given name for Jayne Mansfield or Mae West or Marilyn Monroe had been Gertrude Noabrestus!

Her book has every name imaginable with astrological connotations to each name, and being a never-ending disciple of Astrology, I'm forever surprised at what a name can reveal. In any number of cases, pin-point accuracy.

I always thought it would be funny to have someone with a screen names like CompletelyStupid, Brainless, SexOffender, ChildMolester, IKillForFun with 4 or 5 accumulated stars for reps. Would anyone even read their posts? Or, surprisingly, intrigued, more would read their posts?

Myself, I'm drawn to offbeat usernames. Recently I ran across Poophead.
How could I resist!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times
Although I appreciate the criticism Basil and Panda, I stand by my post.

In an ideal world (Obama's), what you say may be true, but in reality, it isn't. Names play a huge part in life. Like it or not. You can be as righteous as you want to be, but names are important.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
My surname says very little about who I am or where I came from. Only 1/1,000,000 of my DNA comes from the person who had my surname 20 generations (500 years) ago, and the rest of me comes from 999,999 other people with different names. I have one of the 50 most common surnames in the USA, and almost a third of us are black.

My maternal grandparents arrived at Ellis Island with an extremely unusual name, which I have been unable to find a living example of anywhere in the world today, even in their country of origin. It was changed, though, to one of the ten most common names in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates