Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 05:37 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
As I said, the uninsured will not get all the preventive or non-emergency care needed. Free blood pressure or cholesterol tests are hardly enough. Women need mammograms, pap tests, etc. How many uninsured get those free on a regular basis?
I'm fully insured and I haven't needed any medical care for over 25 years. So what now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 05:43 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,207,727 times
Quote:
As I said, the uninsured will not get all the preventive or non-emergency care needed. Free blood pressure or cholesterol tests are hardly enough. Women need mammograms, pap tests, etc. How many uninsured get those free on a regular basis?
That is true and much of the reason for this is due to Medicare setting a floor for the costs of those healthcare. Prior to 1965 it was easy for the average person to go to their Dr. and get basic care for little cost.

Now since much of our current medical care is paid by others, it has caused prices to sky rocket. Another reason is the demand is high due to the large boomer generation and the number of new Drs has been artificially kept low since the mid 90’s when we (government) put a cap on how many credentialed doctors could come into the system.

I don’t think a massive amount of the hair of the dog will make things better.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:10 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
A hospital must treat someone who comes into the ER with an emergency condition or assesment. It does not have to do any other care if someone cannot pay.
The system of employer-based health insurance is nuts. We are all a divorce, a pink slip, or a hurricane away from not being covered. And it must put U.S. business at a disadvantage in the global market.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Hilarious! Even the UNITED STATES CENSUS only claims 46 million! But no, the BBC would be more accurate than that!

Oh by the way, even the Census Bureau admits that they added about 10 million people into that number, because they wanted to account for illegal immigrants - even though they admit they had absolutely no clue how many there may or may not be.

Hey - if the BBC told you I had a bridge for sale in Brooklyn, would you send me a couple million dollars?

Hilarious! Utterly hilarious!
To be expected you focused on the higher number. I said 50 or 60 million. The interviewees who said this were American. The US claims a lower number because it looks bad to the rest of the world.

I'm sure you wouldn't notice but the media in the US is gagged and the real truth is discovered by foreign media.

I would certainly trust the BBC over the number one so-called news network in the US - Faux News, the conservatives view only.

Last edited by yankinscotland; 02-10-2010 at 06:42 AM..

Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I'm fully insured and I haven't needed any medical care for over 25 years. So what now?
So I've had car insurance for 40 years and never had an accident. What difference does that make? I certainly wouldn't drive w/o insurance or not be without medical cover.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
The media is shamefully disinclined to do any investigative reporting. The news desk slits open the morning mail and reports what they find in the press releases. Agencies, which may or may not be reputable, provide statistics that purport to represent the number of people uninsured, and the media stenographically reports such assertions as if they were true, and the media then defends itself by stating that they report "only the facts".

Notice that the media has learned not to state anything to be a fact, but rather, states that "So-and-so says . . ." Increasingly, so-and-so is laboriously identified as "a spokesman who declined to be identified because he is not authorized to release the information".

It is also interesting that when quoting a report from a foreign country, the media will say "the report could not be independently confirmed", but that disclaimer is never offered if the report is from a US government source, such as the source who said "mission accomplished".

Old 02-10-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
To be expected you focused on the higher number. I said 50 or 60 million. The interviewees who said this were American. The US claims a lower number because it looks bad to the rest of the world.

I'm sure you wouldn't notice but the media in the US is gagged and the real truth is discovered by foreign media.

I would certainly trust the BBC over the number one so-called news network in the US - Faux News, the conservatives view only.
You claimed 50-60 million. That is a LIE, even by the admittedly exaggerated Census Bureau estimate. This isn't a media thing - other than the fact that the BCC (as usual) is just making up their own news.

The US Census Bureau estimates the number to be 46 million. The BBC says, "Well, we don't believe that so we're going to round it up by 14 million. Just because we can. We're the BBC, after all, and there are millions of idiots who think we can do no wrong!"

What a joke! No wonder you have such bizarre ideas. You can have facts presented to you that PROVE you are WRONG, but you still choose to believe your own lies.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
So I've had car insurance for 40 years and never had an accident. What difference does that make? I certainly wouldn't drive w/o insurance or not be without medical cover.
Who pays for your car insurance?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
You claimed 50-60 million. That is a LIE, even by the admittedly exaggerated Census Bureau estimate. This isn't a media thing - other than the fact that the BCC (as usual) is just making up their own news.

The US Census Bureau estimates the number to be 46 million. The BBC says, "Well, we don't believe that so we're going to round it up by 14 million. Just because we can. We're the BBC, after all, and there are millions of idiots who think we can do no wrong!"

What a joke! No wonder you have such bizarre ideas. You can have facts presented to you that PROVE you are WRONG, but you still choose to believe your own lies.
Facts?? You mean what you say are facts? As you said they are only estimates. I'd trust the BBC over your source of news, Fox, any day. Of course, it's a media thing. The US has always been good at covering up any negative news so its image isn't tarnished.

Pointless to discuss anything with you anyway. You believe you are right no matter what. Typical evangelical conservative would be my guess. Like banging my head against a wall.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Facts?? You mean what you say are facts? As you said they are only estimates. I'd trust the BBC over your source of news, Fox, any day. Of course, it's a media thing. The US has always been good at covering up any negative news so its image isn't tarnished.

Pointless to discuss anything with you anyway. You believe you are right no matter what. Typical evangelical conservative would be my guess. Like banging my head against a wall.
I've been VERY specific about where the 46 million number comes from. It comes straight from the Census Bureau. For those of you who are mentally challenged, the Census Bureau is NOT the media. And you can save your crap talk about FoxNews. I have no idea when the last time was that I ever watched it. I'm talking about the United States Census Bureau.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/p60-235.pdf

The BBC, on the other hand, is yet another of those British Trash Tabloids. These idiots can look at the official Census Bureau information - that says 46 million - and still claim it's 60 million.

How ANYBODY can be STUPID enough to believe a tabloid like the BCC - and do so over the actual information - is beyond me.

Hey by the way, why not dispense with your childish little nonsensical digs about "typical evangelical conservative" and "faux news." You're doing nothing but making a complete fool of yourself when you engage in that kind of garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates