Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 PM

116 posts, read 83,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That is very far from the truth. Tonight, hundreds, maybe thousands of people just like you and me will be sleeping on beaches in Hawaii. Wondering why any individuals in their right minds would "choose" to get up hours before daylight Monday morning and shovel their car out of snow and commute to an inbox of mindless tasks in a cubicle.
Not too far fetched then. In fact, if I could live the life of a nomad and at least have enough food to eat, I'd probably opt for that myself, just to get out of the "rat race".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 08:25 PM

311 posts, read 693,956 times
Living a nomads life is a powerful draw in todays world.Its to easy to get burned out in the mordern rat race.I have decided to quit the race because there is no pleasure in running it and no reward for finishing it.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 PM

116 posts, read 83,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
Living a nomads life is a powerful draw in todays world.Its to easy to get burned out in the mordern rat race.I have decided to quit the race because there is no pleasure in running it and no reward for finishing it.
I must confess, I quite liked the idea of moving to a "poor farm" (as discussed on another thread). Of course I'd have to work, but as long as I got food & board (and access to music and books), I think I'd be pretty content with that, especially if I were living in the country somewhere, surrounded by fields and trees, rather than concrete

Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
You can live in South America or Southeast Asia on about $5,000 a year, basically homeless, but always with a roof over your head. Backpacker lodgings and meals can be found for no more than $15 a day. You'll have to keep shuttling from country to country every few months, to avoid visa overstays. Follow the climate, and you can sleep outdoors if you need to.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:29 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,378 times
i think it's poignant that what's wrong with society isn't just those who are homeless. the truth is also what's wrong with society. the homeless can also be a representation (of course not totally or concretely) of what is sane about them and wrong with society or those who find the soul killing rat race okay. i've met a lot of homeless that were very good people but of course there are those who are not. the overall theme i noticed is that in some ways they are the sane and honest ones which is very ironic. lol

just food for thought. of course solutions are not simple. there are just consequences to anything and that's life so to speak.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:25 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Then open a state hospital for the homeless that are incapable of working. My main concern, is those people who are on welfare, or just refuse to work. They live off the system, and give little to nothing back.

Cut off welfare & let them either starve or earn a living.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
i think it's poignant that what's wrong with society isn't just those who are homeless. the truth is also what's wrong with society. the homeless can also be a representation (of course not totally or concretely) of what is sane about them and wrong with society or those who find the soul killing rat race okay. i've met a lot of homeless that were very good people but of course there are those who are not. the overall theme i noticed is that in some ways they are the sane and honest ones which is very ironic. lol

just food for thought. of course solutions are not simple. there are just consequences to anything and that's life so to speak.
I think you have made an excellent point,

Old 02-14-2010, 08:36 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,378 times
the only people who can get welfare are single parents that i know of.

who are these people who get free money? i'd like to know myself.

when i was down and out, i got no free money. where is this free money?

i'd like to know where people get this mythical free money for housing, transportation, fuel etc from.

please list it so i can find out about it. wow, i've really been missing out. i've never heard of such a thing. i know section 8 lists are long and it's usually for again, single parents. still, they have to find work and pay at least thirty percent of income for rent.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
I have never known a man who died from overwork, but many who died from doubt.
--Charles Horace Mayo 1865-1939 American surgeon and co-founder of the Mayo Clinic

Too bad he died in 1939, if he had lingered for only a few more years he would have been firmly dissuaded of that belief.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
You could live in a government labor city, and have all of your needs meet for you. Notice, I did not say wants, I said needs. 3 squares a day, education for your children, a roof over your head, thats it. You would work 8 hours a day, in whatever capacity the government saw fit, building roads, building dams, factory work of whatever kind is needed, things of that nature.
On the face of it, my initial thought is that this idea perfectly ludicrous but I am willing to hear you out.

So just few questions.

1. Where would you locate such a city, since most of the poor live in urban areas, since clearly such a city would have to be near an area where such projects would be needed.

2. Since the poor are not only bereft of money, they are also bereft of skills, so how would these unskilled inhabitants acquire the skills needed for these projects?

(Just an aside, I once interviewed a prison warden who complained that that the prisoners that he was getting were so lacking in occupational skills that he could for the life of him couldn't figure out what work they could do that would satisfy critics of non-working prison populations.)

3. What happens to your indigent residents once all the possible projects that they might do, if they had the skills to do them in the first place, were accomplished?

4. And most importantly, what would you say to unemployed and underemployed workers who would be competing with these "free laborers" for these "needed" government projects?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates