Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:28 PM

487 posts, read 636,294 times

Advertisements

I'll give a recent example. I'm walking down a busy road when out of nowhere someone tosses a drink at me. Add to that random people in passerby cars who scream things just for the hell of it. Such behavior would be unthinkable in my home country (by the way I'm from a small European country). I also know bored suburban teenagers who have nothing better to do on weekend nights than to go out and vandalize people's property. Most of them do drugs, which also seems to be the norm in this country. I've never encountered such a high degree of inconsiderate idiocy as I have in this country. What is it about your society that produces such degenerates? I expected Americans to be a civilized people.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
I think a better question might be, what are you doing that attracts this kind of behavior? I have NEVER encountered that kind of behavior, and I've lived here all my life.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,067 times
Come on, come on!
America is a great country with wonderful people.
You can't judge a country for a few idiots that you may encounter here and there.
I've seen enough whereever I travel to form terrible impressions of those places, but I don't jump to conclusions based on a few examples.
Snap out of it.

Last edited by learningCA; 02-11-2010 at 06:25 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 PM

487 posts, read 636,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I think a better question might be, what are you doing that attracts this kind of behavior? I have NEVER encountered that kind of behavior, and I've lived here all my life.
Walking down the street and minding my own business? Perhaps its a regional thing. I'm currently in South Florida.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:51 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
you must live a very sheltered life

Old 02-11-2010, 05:53 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Walking down the street and minding my own business? Perhaps its a regional thing. I'm currently in South Florida.
Honestly... never encountered anything like what you've said. Actually everyone is really friendly from where I am around, even the hobos. It's same whenever I have trips to other parts of America.

But dunno, maybe that's south florida. Remember, the US is an extremely diverse nation so I wouldn't judge a whole country just from one state.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,512 times
Quote:
I'll give a recent example. I'm walking down a busy road when out of nowhere someone tosses a drink at me. Add to that random people in passerby cars who scream things just for the hell of it. Such behavior would be unthinkable in my home country (by the way I'm from a small European country). I also know bored suburban teenagers who have nothing better to do on weekend nights than to go out and vandalize people's property. Most of them do drugs, which also seems to be the norm in this country. I've never encountered such a high degree of inconsiderate idiocy as I have in this country. What is it about your society that produces such degenerates? I expected Americans to be a civilized people.
it's true that americans in general often have a more boisterous and aggressive manner. even i noticed my personality change a bit from before. i used to be much more calm and very polite. in most other societies, what is considered rude there is considered normal in america. this idea of freedom of speech is often abused and you are considered cool if you dominate others or are loud etc. but i think overall it's an attitude issue.

as to why, it may be just like a snowball effect from several factors. i think it's getting a better though.

people needed to speak up but it was more rightwing type dogma but now it's being tempered with more openmindedness and less ignorance from a global world.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
you must live a very sheltered life
My lack of having drinks thrown at me means I live a sheltered life?

Who woulda thunk?

Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,745 times
Quote:
You are not alone. I too have experienced the same thing many times just walking down the street minding my own business. And in my travels to many European and Asian countries I have generally found the locals to be much more composed and mannerly.

I don't think that America has always been this way. It became cool to be wild and crazy in the 60's and etiquette and manners have been on a downward spiral ever since.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:42 PM

64 posts, read 54,203 times
America is not a nation of degenerates it could just be your neighbourhood, I can show you plenty of places in europe that are over run with gang grafting.

The only "degenerates" in america are those who are part of those on going criminal gangs and have no purpose in life except to sell drugs, kill others and ruin communtiies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates