Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a coworker about the days when they built the national interstate highway system and how big of a project that was, it changed the landscape of cities and states.

It got me wondering what the next huge infrastructure project will be ( on the same scale as the interstate highways), something that will equally change the landscape and how cities are designed and built...sadly I cannot think of anything...??

Can anyone think of something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 10:42 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
A network of high-speed rail lines seems like a good candidate. Not only would it offer relief of crowded airports and highways, but by shifting the passenger trains onto the high-speed tracks, it would free up capacity on the existing rail lines that could be used by more freight trains.

Not nearly as "sexy" as either a high-speed rail network or a nationwide highway system, but simply double-tracking the existing rail network (i.e. building a parallel set of tracks next to existing ones) would dramatically increase the network's carrying capacity.

Along those same lines, adding a third lane in each direction to most of our major interstate highways (at the least, the ones whose numbers end in 0 or 5) would go a long way towards easing congestion.

And finally, a program to bury the utility lines, at least in major urbanized areas, would dramatically "harden" the electrical grid against disasters. Not to mention, it would be a major step up in aesthetics.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:13 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was talking to a coworker about the days when they built the national interstate highway system
and how big of a project that was, it changed the landscape of cities and states.
And it all got done by a population ranging from 155 to 200 Million people.
(WW2 was fought and won with just 132,000,000)

Quote:
It got me wondering what the next huge infrastructure project will be ..
Retrenchment. An undoing and capping off of the farthest tentacles of such development
as we reconcile our outlook toward stasis and reduction of population levels.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-18-2018 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 01:25 PM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Cyber security.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Eventually cars will travel off the ground. Road condition will become less relevant, and wear will be eliminated. After a while, roads will become irrelevant and low airways will take their place. Or maybe we will get rid of cars altogether and drones will carry us around. That will dramatically change city scapes. Buildings will be designed to look cool from the sky rather than from the ground. that is probably the most likely major change in the foreseeable future and it is still a hundred years away.

Right now our major infrastructure need is fixing what we have. roads, bridges, dams, sewers, treatment plants, piping, the power grid. Pretty much everything is at the end of its usable lifespan. Maybe we will get wires in the ground and off of poles.

The ways we handle sewage and water/power distribution could suddenly change. While less dramatic than flying cars, it would certainly change how we live and how our cities look.

Solar panels may come to dominate the landscape in cities.

as our population ages, trailer parks, RV parks, and tiny house parks may become more and more commonplace, even in cities. I wonder what will be done with all these big houses? gen Z is not going to fill them and appear unlikely to want them.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:34 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
Rail lines and the power grid are privately owned and are not the responsibility of the federal government.

Many large old homes have been dived into separate apartments, That has been common for many decades.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 PM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Rail lines and the power grid are privately owned and are not the responsibility of the federal government.

Many large old homes have been dived into separate apartments, That has been common for many decades.
I disagree in regard to the power grid. Sabotage the power grid and this nation will suffer it's greatest defeat. It's clearly a matter of national security.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:12 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times
When I look at all the interstate highways, high speed trains, light rail and subway that China has built in such a short period of time, I cry out: how did they do it and with such jet speed???

But, unfortunately, or fortunately, we don't have their system of government that won't let Nimby's get in the way of rapid progress. Just think of what they have to achieve, if it should get built, the high speed train line from L.A. to San Francisco! If this were China, it would be up and running by now!

It's always easy to build, but then comes the hard part, and we'll see how China maintains it all down the road.

I believe Flint is just the tip of the iceberg and there's lots more Flint's out there.

Infrastructure was high on the list with Trump at one time, and now, you hear nothing of it. You'd think of all the needy projects he'd fund them in his home city of New York City, that expensive tunnel that's needed, for one.

Myself I'm not a big fan of high speed rail, as I've ridden some of those trains in Europe, and the trains go so fast, you look out the window and you see just a blur of the countryside.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:13 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was talking to a coworker about the days when they built the national interstate highway system and how big of a project that was, it changed the landscape of cities and states.

It got me wondering what the next huge infrastructure project will be ( on the same scale as the interstate highways), something that will equally change the landscape and how cities are designed and built...sadly I cannot think of anything...??

1) Microgrids to replace older inefficient electrical power generation and distribution systems. They can function on variety of energy sources. Here is a nice educational piece.
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...rid-microgrids

Large Corps (Google, Ebay, MorganStanley) have been using this high tech energy here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-OcVAh7qc

2) Water purification and sanitation systems and waste treatment upgrades.
Our area has been doing a massive three decades long project mostly out of sight. These don't necessarily change how existing cities are built but they help correct problems of poorly planned/built infrastructure during industrial age development.

https://www.neorsd.org/community/abo...-lake-program/

Or due to things like the agriculture runoff contamination issues
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...utive_ord.html

3) Wireless mesh networks (Communications)

https://atlasofthefuture.org/mesh-ne...llel-internet/
For cybersecurity reasons
https://sputniknews.com/science/2018...t-contingency/

4) Hyperloop transit technology concept between high density urban centers and corridors. Elon Musk has been working with this tech

https://www.cleveland.com/architectu...hyperloop.html

These 'infrastructure' areas would IMO have the greatest impact to the general public:

A. Lower cost / cleaner energy
B. Better water / waste management
C. Communication ease and security
D. More accessible higher speed transit in high density areas

Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,868 times
We need to address rising sea levels. Whether or not it’s caused by climate change, it’s happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates