Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:42 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times

Advertisements

I always find those that go by the label "Pro-life" confusing and hypocritical.

It seems to me if one is truly pro-life than not only are they against abortion but they would also;

... be against capital punishment
... be in favor of stem-cell research
... be a pacifist and anti-gun
... be against hunting, fishing, and trapping
... be against animal testing that requires death of animal
... be a vegetarian or a vegan
... be environmentally conscious and concerned about climate change.

However in practice, just the opposite seems to be the case. Do you know of anyone who is truly pro-life? I sure don't. Some of the Amish may come close but none of the "lifers" I have ever met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:08 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Yes, I know quite a few REAL pro-lifers. What's interesting is that they are NOT the "copy & paste from The Daily Kos" kind of folks you describe.

Also, the Amish are FAR from being pro-life - even the leftist political pro-life profile you described.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Pro-lifers never say they are pro-life as an overall philisophy, and very few people (pro-life or pro-choice) have thought deeply enough to make the connections the OP has described. They say that with reference to the abortion debate, they are on the side of preserving the life of the fetus. Nothing else is implied by the facile term.

You are giving the rank and file way too much credit for capacity to draw logical conclusions. Even the majority of the people who frequent this board are too logic-challenged.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yes, I know quite a few REAL pro-lifers. What's interesting is that they are NOT the "copy & paste from The Daily Kos" kind of folks you describe.

Also, the Amish are FAR from being pro-life - even the leftist political pro-life profile you described.
Well they (Amish) are anti-war, anti-gun, and I am pretty sure anti capital punishment so again they are closer than any pro-lifers I have met.

No political profile intended. Sorry you saw it that way. I was merely listing all the pro-life/anti-death stances I could think of.

I give up; what is the "Daily Kos"?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Well they (Amish) are anti-war, anti-gun, and I am pretty sure anti capital punishment so again they are closer than any pro-lifers I have met.

No political profile intended. Sorry you saw it that way. I was merely listing all the pro-life/anti-death stances I could think of.

I give up; what is the "Daily Kos"?

The Amish are not vegetarians or vegans. They are not against hunting or fishing. And the certainly are not environmentally-minded.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Pro-lifers never say they are pro-life as an overall philisophy, and very few people (pro-life or pro-choice) have thought deeply enough to make the connections the OP has described. They say that with reference to the abortion debate, they are on the side of preserving the life of the fetus. Nothing else is implied by the facile term.

You are giving the rank and file way too much credit for capacity to draw logical conclusions. Even the majority of the people who frequent this board are too logic-challenged.
I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and I presume that we all have pondered issues involving life or death. But maybe not.

You may be correct that it is confined to a single issue and not an overall philosophy. It just seemed to me that if one is concerned about preserving life, for religious or whatever reasons, that the "life is precious" belief would be arching over to other issues.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
I always find those that go by the label "Pro-life" confusing and hypocritical.

It seems to me if one is truly pro-life than not only are they against abortion but they would also;

However in practice, just the opposite seems to be the case. Do you know of anyone who is truly pro-life? I sure don't. Some of the Amish may come close but none of the "lifers" I have ever met.
Alternatively, how many animal rights advocates do you know that are pro-life?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Being FOR capital punishment is taken - by many - as evidence of how valuable human life is. It is so valuable that if you murder somebody, you forfeit your own life.

I think the fear of most is the questionable practice of "harvesting" stems cells from aborted babies.

These two things aren't one in the same. Also, sometimes peace is not achieved without the use of force. Even Obama - in his recent speech in Copenhagen - acknowledged that.

Being anti-gun is not connected with being pro-life.

Why is this required to be pro-life? People who hunt, kill cleanly, and eat the kill are not anti-life. They're just changing when and how the animal dies.

What kind of animal testing is that?

Are vegetables not living organisms? How is killing, boiling and eating a vegetable any different than eating an animal?

Though I'm certainly for living as green as possible, I don't see how this is a requisite of being pro-life.
The main flaw here, with so many on the far left, is the elevation of animals to the point of supposedly having MORE value than humans.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
The Amish are not vegetarians or vegans. They are not against hunting or fishing. And the certainly are not environmentally-minded.
Please read my original post.
I indicated that I felt the Amish came close. More sothan any pro-lifers I had known or had heard. I never said that they were the true pro-lifers I was inquiring about.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There is a very large faction within the pro-life movement who believe an abortion is justified in the case of rape and/or incest. Suddenly, they stop prioritizing Life, when the paternity of the normal, healthy and faultless fetus is objectionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates