Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,588 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the link Kele. I'd read a few of the references that paper cites, but I think L. Aielo pulled it all together nicely in an easily digested package (yes, pun most certainly intended ).

Thank you also for reiterating that chosing to be a vegetarian does not make one an Herbivore.

It's nice to be able to chose what we eat -- greatest thing about being an Omnivore is possessing the physical ability to chose to be vegetarian, if you want to be, with a little planning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 04:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'm a vegetarian. I choose to eat this way because I feel that it's better for my health.

But I'm also a scientist. To state that Homo sapien sapien evolved to eat a vegetarian diet is without scientific merit. Additionally, such unequivocal nonsense does a great disservice to the enormous amount of evidence to the contrary and the actual research that went into it.

Might I suggest a little light reading? The Expensive Tissue Hypothesis, by Leslie Aielo, does an excellent job of explaining the role of meat in the evolution of H. sapien. Of course H. sapiens evolved as omnivores, but the eating of meat played a huge role in the brain development of early hominids, the ancestors of H. sapien.

Brazilian Journal of Genetics - Brains and guts in human evolution: The Expensive Tissue Hypothesis
Personally I believe that a vegetarian diet today, is far more realistic today. Our ancestors hardly had a choice in what they ate, if they ate at all. For them, it was a matter of survival, and our omnivore tendencies is a wonderful biological advantage.

The idea that those who came before us would pass up meat or anything else to eat is silly, at best.

But today, we are much more intelligent about what foods and nutrients we need to survive. Plants are abundant in this country, so you can take meat off the table, eating specific plant materials that meet our biological needs. Ancient man didn't have that luxury.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Personally I believe that a vegetarian diet today, is far more realistic today. Our ancestors hardly had a choice in what they ate, if they ate at all. For them, it was a matter of survival, and our omnivore tendencies is a wonderful biological advantage.

The idea that those who came before us would pass up meat or anything else to eat is silly, at best.

But today, we are much more intelligent about what foods and nutrients we need to survive. Plants are abundant in this country, so you can take meat off the table, eating specific plant materials that meet our biological needs. Ancient man didn't have that luxury.
This reminds me of Drugs Delaney's letter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZBd--uzE28

Old 10-13-2010, 08:41 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
We are omnivores...go look at your teeth incisors and molars

Old 10-14-2010, 11:47 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
An omnivore eats both meat and vegetable.
So by definition, an omnivore would also be a carnivore.
Only in the sense that they both have to eat to sustain life. Leopards are carnivores, the preponderance of their diet is meat, of one kind or another, same with dogs and house cats, upon occasion, they will eat grasses to aid digestion. Raccoons and Opossums are omnivores, so are humans, we have sharp teeth AND, flat molars (cows, buffalo, goats et al do not have canine teeth) Lions, Leopards, wolves et al do not have true molars for grinding grasses and/or grains. There are three major distinctions in qualifying diet, herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores they are not overlapping terms.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,588 times
There's still a small debate when you get to the edges of the carnivore and herbivore classifications regarding the exact dietary percentage at which they are more truly an omnivore; but the teeth, digestive system and nutritional requirements are good indicators. Some omnivores have stronger meat/animal diets, and some have stronger veg/fruit diets... but they're still omnivores.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:40 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,267 times
WRONG--- we are omnivores- always have been. Vegetarians are LIARS.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
WRONG--- we are omnivores- always have been. Vegetarians are LIARS.
Well lets be fair here. Our natural diet was made up of considerably more nuts, berries, and plant matter than it is now. Americans eat WAY to much meat, which is why we have as many health issues as we have. Ever wonder why peoples arteries clog up? To much meat, plain and simple. Mainly, to much red meat.

So in the aspect that humans naturally only ate vegetables, thats wrong. But to say that our diet has always been in the state it is today, that couldn't be further than the truth. My grandfather used to tell me they were lucky to eat meat twice a week, and that was in the 40's and 50's. Now most folks don't go a day without eating meat three times a day or more.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:56 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,475,507 times
Meat is good for you

Old 10-16-2010, 01:24 AM

421 posts, read 448,519 times
Its easy to see your not a natural vegetarian, just look at those canine teeth in the front of your mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates