Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:18 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well lets be fair here. Our natural diet was made up of considerably more nuts, berries, and plant matter than it is now. Americans eat WAY to much meat, which is why we have as many health issues as we have. Ever wonder why peoples arteries clog up? To much meat, plain and simple. Mainly, to much red meat.

So in the aspect that humans naturally only ate vegetables, thats wrong. But to say that our diet has always been in the state it is today, that couldn't be further than the truth. My grandfather used to tell me they were lucky to eat meat twice a week, and that was in the 40's and 50's. Now most folks don't go a day without eating meat three times a day or more.
All true stuff. But, we undoubtedly are meant to eat meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 04:01 PM

103 posts, read 95,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
All true stuff. But, we undoubtedly are meant to eat meat.
Do lions get clogged arteries? Tigers, Mountain Lions??

Old 10-18-2010, 04:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcElwee View Post
Do lions get clogged arteries? Tigers, Mountain Lions??
Do you run all day hunting food? Is your body naturally suited to eat only meat?

Inuit Indians eat almost an entirely meat only diet, due to the cold climate they can't grow anything, yet they are very healthy. The difference between most people and them, is their body has developed to live on that, and they are far more physically active than the rest of us.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 PM

103 posts, read 95,042 times
Quote:
Do you run all day hunting food? Is your body naturally suited to eat only meat?

Inuit Indians eat almost an entirely meat only diet, due to the cold climate they can't grow anything, yet they are very healthy. The difference between most people and them, is their body has developed to live on that, and they are far more physically active than the rest of us.
No, but neither do many other animals. Cats spend a lot of time resting.

I have trained my body to subsist on USDA Prime Ribeye, Sirloin and an occasional t-bone. Took years, but I'm there.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcElwee View Post
No, but neither do many other animals. Cats spend a lot of time resting.

I have trained my body to subsist on USDA Prime Ribeye, Sirloin and an occasional t-bone. Took years, but I'm there.
Cats - especially sedentary, cuddly-wuddly indoor lap cats - also are highly susceptible to obesity. They generally eat processed cat food - which is the grade-D leftovers of the genetically-horrifiying meat that you get in Lunchables, and then they sleep on a ray of sun on your bed or the back of the sofa.

Outdoor cats who chase mice and birds for food generally don't have such issues because they need to stay active to stay alive.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
An omnivore eats both meat and vegetable.
So by definition, an omnivore would also be a carnivore.
Thank you.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Well lets be fair here. Our natural diet was made up of considerably more nuts, berries, and plant matter than it is now. Americans eat WAY to much meat, which is why we have as many health issues as we have. Ever wonder why peoples arteries clog up? To much meat, plain and simple. Mainly, to much red meat.

So in the aspect that humans naturally only ate vegetables, thats wrong. But to say that our diet has always been in the state it is today, that couldn't be further than the truth. My grandfather used to tell me they were lucky to eat meat twice a week, and that was in the 40's and 50's. Now most folks don't go a day without eating meat three times a day or more.
I think that this nation's collective health problems are more complicated than simply too much meat. There are/were cultures that ate diets composed of virtually 100% animal matter that did not endure the diseases of civilization. I think our problem is that we subsist largely on processed, non-food diets and live sedentary lives whilst filled to the gills with prescription meds for "inconvenience" ailments because no one can endure pain or tolerate discomfort anymore.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:35 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I think that this nation's collective health problems are more complicated than simply too much meat. There are/were cultures that ate diets composed of virtually 100% animal matter that did not endure the diseases of civilization. I think our problem is that we subsist largely on processed, non-food diets and live sedentary lives whilst filled to the gills with prescription meds for "inconvenience" ailments because no one can endure pain or tolerate discomfort anymore.
To much meat + To little exercise and/or work = Obese and health problems.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
I don't think the problem is meat. I think it is too much sugar and processed food. Also, lack of exercise is harmful as well.

If nature made it eat it. If man made it don't eat it.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:47 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
To much meat + To little exercise and/or work = Obese and health problems.
No objection there, but I think a diet can be comprised of 1/3 (or greater even) animal protein and still be more than reasonable as long as the lifestyle is appropriate. People who were actually properly executing Adkins/low-no carb diets were not turning up with elevated cholesterol, for example.

Also, there is no meat in a pound of french fries, a bag of Fritos, a pitcher of beer, or six-pack of Dr. Pepper. You can eat vegan/vegetarian and still find a way to be a complete lard@ss verging on full-blown diabetic.

To me, portion control and going outside to move around every once in a while instead of making out with a wheel of cheese while glued to the tube is the important thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates