Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:01 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times

Advertisements

Were Adam and Eve vegetarians in the Garden of Eden or did they go around eating the peaceful animals by their side.... just wondering?

http://img.allposters.com/6/LRG/8/849/X6NY000Z.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 10:14 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Were Adam and Eve vegetarians in the Garden of Eden or did they go around eating the peaceful animals by their side.... just wondering?

http://img.allposters.com/6/LRG/8/849/X6NY000Z.jpg
Well if you're a creationist, God immediately gave Adam and Eve fur to wear and had them eat meat when they were kicked out of the garden in that story...

Old 02-28-2010, 06:12 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The way I remember it from Sunday School, they ate Ice Cream and Chocolate Drops served by naked babies with wings.

But then they ate the Snake Apples and God got mad and kicked them out of the garden.

Then there were no more flying naked babies serving ice cream and candy, instead there were ugly little monsters with spears and pointed tails who made them do hard work, made them cry all the time, and made them eat dead animals.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,664 times
I think humans have always been omnivores, but what makes us different from animals is that we have the power of discrimination and can choose what we eat. Some of us choose vegetarianism for health and/or spiritual reasons, among others. I see making choices of this sort as a sign of our evolving to become real human beings.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:15 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
exactly. it reminds me of the debate over whether homosexuality is a choice. in my opinion it doesn't matter if it's a choice - either you think it's wrong or you don't.

i think it's clear that people in the west, especially in the u.s., eat too much meat. but i also think it's perfectly healthy to have an omnivorous diet where meat and dairy and eaten in moderation. it's also perfectly healthy to have a vegan or vegetarian diet, of course.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:07 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The way I remember it from Sunday School, they ate Ice Cream and Chocolate Drops served by naked babies with wings.

But then they ate the Snake Apples and God got mad and kicked them out of the garden.

Then there were no more flying naked babies serving ice cream and candy, instead there were ugly little monsters with spears and pointed tails who made them do hard work, made them cry all the time, and made them eat dead animals.

I think when they started out life in the Garden of Eden, they were 100% frugivores (fruit eaters). The reason according to Genesis.. God made the trees available to them except for two trees, the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and the Tree of Life. He did not want them eating the fruits from those two trees, but they could from all the other trees. Of course we know that things changed after they were banished from the garden and had to adapt to an omnivorous diet.

I posted this because while some of us look for hard evidence on things, there are others that rely more on scripture. That should cover all the bases.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 AM

I have heard that there are documents in the Vatican that show that Jesus taught vegetarianism. It seems that all the great mystics did. It is hard to believe otherwise.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
I have heard that there are documents in the Vatican that show that Jesus taught vegetarianism. It seems that all the great mystics did. It is hard to believe otherwise.
Incorrect.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Incorrect.
How do you know? I don't think you can prove me wrong any more than I can prove you wrong.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
How do you know? I don't think you can prove me wrong any more than I can prove you wrong.
I've studied the Bible and the related books not contained in it extensively. I'm fairly well familiar with much of what the Vatican has as well. One of my professors in my college days (studied history) had been to the Vatican Secret Archives twice in fact.

Firstly, the Gospels directly contradict any claim of Jesus being vegetarian as he eats fish in it, and reading between the lines, he likely ate other meats typical of Jews of that period (infrequent, primarily during important times). Several of his parables discuss shepherds, slaughtering of animals (such as the fattened calf) by people for celebrations, etc. The Gnostic gospels which make all sorts of strange claims lack any credibility because they were forgeries, pure fiction.

The Bible also contains a reference to the end days when people will not eat meat. This struck people in that era as incredibly bizarre as almost no one would refuse meat back then since it was so highly valued.

Jesus as a vegetarian just isn't supported by the historical evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates