Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 PM

260 posts, read 548,749 times

Advertisements

Kathy Freston: Shattering The Meat Myth: Humans Are Natural Vegetarians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 03:45 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,517 times
What is the point...what is your point. Come on there was no "Proof" of anything. to be perfectly fair our early ancestors are much llike us.

Unlike the great apes we are not true herbivores, we dont eat a large classes of plants...we eat the fruits and seeds of the plants, but our system cant digest many leaves and grasses.

We are not strict carnivores...are cave-dwellng ancestor ate very little meat. Their diet was of that of a hunter-gatherer. eating nuts,berries, small animals and insects. any protein posible.

early man was eating and thriving on animal meat long before agriculture 10,000 years ago.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:54 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
i think it's pretty likely that humans are natural omnivores. even if we're not, we're obviously perfectly capable of digesting cooked meat (and uncooked meat in some cultures).

i don't think concentrating on what we were "designed" to eat is worth it, for either side of the debate. but then again, i'm not vegan for my health.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times
The fossil record is what it is.

"Carnivorous humans go back a long way. Stone tools for butchering meat, and animal bones with corresponding cut marks on them, first appear in the fossil record about 2.5 million years ago."

Regardless, we have been evolving, and the title of this article explains why I love my oatmeal.

"Evolving to Eat Mush": How Meat Changed Our Bodies

Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 PM

i'm not sure if i'd trust an article where the author can't tell the difference between carnivores and omnivores. humans were never carnivores, that is one thing that's certain.

edit: wow, that's from national geographic? sad. they should really hire some editors.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:16 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i'm not sure if i'd trust an article where the author can't tell the difference between carnivores and omnivores. humans were never carnivores, that is one thing that's certain.

edit: wow, that's from national geographic? sad. they should really hire some editors.

In the following sentence, I think they are just using the adjective "carnivorous" to mean when flesh-eating was included in their diet: Carnivorous humans go back a long way. Not that they were carnivores. At least that's the way I read the story.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM

if a person or species is carnivorous, that means they are carnivores.

i think they did mean it to mean meat-eating as part of a diet that includes other things, but that is simply not the correct term to use. the term is omnivorous, or even meat-eating. if the person who wrote the article (who should be backed up by a decent copy editor and fact-checker anyway) doesn't know basic vocabulary related to the subject of the article, it makes me wonder what other sloppiness might be in there.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post

An omnivore eats both meat and vegetable.
So by definition, an omnivore would also be a carnivore.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:16 AM

no, by scientific definition a carnivore eats only or almost only meat. it's not clear exactly where the line is between an omnivore and a carnivore (since carnivores sometimes eat a few non-meat things), but they are separate categories. an omnivore is NEVER a carnivore. that's like saying that a mammal is a reptile. you just can't be both. if you eat meat but need to receive a substantial portion of your nutrition from plants, as humans do, you leave the category of carnivore and enter the category of omnivore.

a lot of scientists define carnivores by their tooth structure, which means that humans (and all omnivores) are most definitely not carnivores. there might be some popular culture basis for saying that carnivore simply means one eats meat, but there is absolutely no scientific basis, and this article is about science.

A carnivore (pronounced /ˈkɑrnɪvɔər/), meaning 'meat eater' (Latin carne meaning 'flesh' and vorare meaning 'to devour'), is an organism that derives its energy and nutrient requirements from a diet consisting mainly or exclusively of animal tissue, whether through predation or scavenging

some online dictionaries define carnivore simply as an animal that eats flesh, but scientific texts do not.

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Carnivore

Last edited by groar; 02-25-2010 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
Humans are Omnivores -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

Humans are omnivores. The science supports this. It does more harm than good to your promotion of vegetarianism to make the claim we're not omnivores...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates