Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 05:07 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Check out farmer stuff for killing woodchucks, check out farmers trucks and tractors, and items used to grow common foods. Most any fool has a clock and batterys.

These items which are common items most any real farmer would have a supply can be made into more than a few lethal devices. It will take reading on your part since I am not going to do any How To on line... For 30 plus year I have been a Rondee Voo type Buck Skinner, and learned a lot about how to make things bo boom, for fun and historical demos.

There are many other common items like vitimin C, sugar, and just slews of ways and methods I have 'read' about. In fact urine mixed with certain things, and dealt with certain ways, can be used in some stuff, but Like I said it would be up to you to do the research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 07:40 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Zazi conspired to commit a terrorist attack. That is a crime.

Renunciation, also known as voluntary abandonment, may be a defense. Here are the elements of the defense under Pennsylvania law:

[SIZE=4]
(1) In any prosecution for an attempt to commit a crime, it is a defense that, under circumstances manifesting a voluntary and complete renunciation of his criminal intent,
the defendant avoided the commission of the crime attempted by abandoning his criminal effort and, if the mere abandonment was insufficient to accomplish such avoidance, by taking further and affirmative steps which prevented the commission thereof.

(2) A renunciation is not "voluntary and complete" within the meaning of this subsection if it is motivated in whole or part by:

(i) a belief that circumstances exist which increase the probability of detection or apprehension of the defendant or another participant in the criminal enterprise, or which render more difficult the accomplishment of the criminal purpose; or

(ii) a decision to postpone the criminal conduct until another time or to transfer the criminal effort to another victim or another but similar objective.[/SIZE]

Inchoate

Note the requirements for meeting the renunciation defense.

You might also be interested to know that you can be convicted of the crime of attempt even if there would not have been a crime if you had completed your act. For instance, if you are driving down the road, pull over, and shoot at a deer from your car, you are guilty of attempted deer poaching even if what you shot at was actually a decoy, and not an actual deer.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:55 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If solicitation to commit murder is a crime (which it is), then it is not Zazi who committed the crime, but the people who solicited him to commit murder. Zazi, as far as I know, did not solicit anyone to commit any murder on his behalf. Solicitation is more than just a conspiracy.

Until you are apppointed moderator, you don't get to close discussisons just because somebody disagrees with you.
Conspiracy to commit murder is also a crime.
Here we are on page 4 with you still ignoring that simple fact.

Duh. Case closed.

P.S. Case closed is a figure of speech. The word "thread" is also not spelled C-A-S-E. Reading is Fundamental.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:58 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Zazi conspired to commit a terrorist attack. That is a crime.

Renunciation, also known as voluntary abandonment, may be a defense. Here are the elements of the defense under Pennsylvania law:

[SIZE=4]
(1) In any prosecution for an attempt to commit a crime, it is a defense that, under circumstances manifesting a voluntary and complete renunciation of his criminal intent,
the defendant avoided the commission of the crime attempted by abandoning his criminal effort and, if the mere abandonment was insufficient to accomplish such avoidance, by taking further and affirmative steps which prevented the commission thereof.

(2) A renunciation is not "voluntary and complete" within the meaning of this subsection if it is motivated in whole or part by:

(i) a belief that circumstances exist which increase the probability of detection or apprehension of the defendant or another participant in the criminal enterprise, or which render more difficult the accomplishment of the criminal purpose; or

(ii) a decision to postpone the criminal conduct until another time or to transfer the criminal effort to another victim or another but similar objective.[/SIZE]

Inchoate

Note the requirements for meeting the renunciation defense.

You might also be interested to know that you can be convicted of the crime of attempt even if there would not have been a crime if you had completed your act. For instance, if you are driving down the road, pull over, and shoot at a deer from your car, you are guilty of attempted deer poaching even if what you shot at was actually a decoy, and not an actual deer.
Great post. Logical, actual facts and reference to the law.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:01 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Zazi goes to prison forever, for thinking about a crime. He associated with intended terrorists, and acquired and assembled a bomb. But then threw the bomb away and never harmed nor endangered anyone. What was his crime?

Parallel case: You and I talk about writing a bad check, and we buy a ballpoint pen. But I change my mind in the bank lobby and throw the pen away, and never write a bad check. Have I committed a crime?
You can do a lot of different things with a pen. There is only one thing you can do with a bomb.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-28-2010, 05:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Are we talking about the same person? The one I'm referring to voluntarily chose to stop himself before committing a successful attack, or even attempting one. A reconsideration for which he was rewarded by a life sentence without parole.
Yes, but maybe the next time he won't "stop himself". Would want to take that chance? Aren't there enough homicidal maniacs out there already? Will the world truly miss one more? I think not.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-28-2010, 05:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,836 times
Quote:
Zazi goes to prison forever, for thinking about a crime. He associated with intended terrorists, and acquired and assembled a bomb. But then threw the bomb away and never harmed nor endangered anyone. What was his crime?

Parallel case: You and I talk about writing a bad check, and we buy a ballpoint pen. But I change my mind in the bank lobby and throw the pen away, and never write a bad check. Have I committed a crime?
To me it is not a good example. Parallel in principle I suppose but the severity is much different.

I would have to know the details of the incident. I got the feeling, based on what I have seen your beliefs are, that you painted the picture to suit them. More details of what laws he broke and was found guilty need to be addressed. I just do not think you gave the whole picture here.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates