Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:07 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't put anything on Facebook that I wouldn't say publicly--right to somebody's face. I'm rude like that. I'm not a "people person."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I wouldn't put anything on Facebook that I wouldn't say publicly--right to somebody's face. I'm rude like that. I'm not a "people person."
Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Mashable is not an anti-technology website, far from it, but I thought the article raised some interesting points that were worthy of consideration. We can't take steps to protect ourselves from the downside of an on-line life if we aren't aware of the issues.
Exactly.
Mashable bills itself as a "Social Media Guide."
It basically feeds off social networking.
I take Mashable and other 'guides' with a grain of salt.
I take a lot of stuff I read on the internet with a grain of salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well I didn't mean to offend you however your confidence and ability to take care of yourself won't mean a thing when you "facebook" the wrong thing to say and one of your employers or employees just happen to be your friends and sees it and reports it. Or if someone who you know decides to frame you and destroy your career or even murder you, they will have access to all your information to make it possible! Confidence and ability is a helluva price to pay for something that could have been prevented.
To use Facebook is not to display hubris.
If anything, using Facebook is an opportunity to waste valuable time.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:00 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I take Mashable and other 'guides' with a grain of salt. I take a lot of stuff I read on the internet with a grain of salt.
As we all should!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:39 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well I didn't mean to offend you however your confidence and ability to take care of yourself won't mean a thing when you "facebook" the wrong thing to say and one of your employers or employees just happen to be your friends and sees it and reports it. Or if someone who you know decides to frame you and destroy your career or even murder you, they will have access to all your information to make it possible! Confidence and ability is a helluva price to pay for something that could have been prevented.
Allen, I fear we may know each other, but I digress... Facebook should ALSO be taken with a grain of salt, because not everything that gets posted there is 100% serious or 100% truthful. I do not see the issue that ANYONE has with facebook... If someone wanted to know where I lived, they could find me, it's easy, if someone wanted to know something about me, they could find out, it's easy. Facebook gives people a way to interact with friends, without ridiculous long distance phone bills.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
I am from a time era where computers were not big, the internet and so forth. This facebook issue is new. Is it dangerous? Also, I am amazed at how many invitations I get to play games........etc. Is it me, but where do people find the time for this. Can anyone share their experiences and debate on the facebook issue.?
I had facebook for about 8 months and realized that it was a big waste of time. Rather than having a large network of superficial friends who didn't care whether I lived or died, I opted for a small core of trusted friends who I personally know, and a bunch of acquaintances who I see whenever. I didn't need facebook for this.

I think facebook is for kids, not adults.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I had facebook for about 8 months and realized that it was a big waste of time. Rather than having a large network of superficial friends who didn't care whether I lived or died, I opted for a small core of trusted friends who I personally know, and a bunch of acquaintances who I see whenever. I didn't need facebook for this.

None of my FB friends are superficial. I know all of them very well - many are my family and we live across the ocean from each other.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:31 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
None of my FB friends are superficial. I know all of them very well - many are my family and we live across the ocean from each other.
I think the point some people (including myself) are trying to make in mentioning superficial connections or disappointing relations on FB is that even though it is a way to stay in touch with family and good friend, it also opens the door to a lot of potential superficial connectivity. If this is not your experience, nobody needs to get ruffled about it!!!

I have several family members and very good friends on my FB friends list. But I also have (several times) had to deal with acquaintances from the past who search me out and friend request me and then....nothing. Zip. Nada. OR, after reconnecting, it becomes clear why we lost touch in the first place. I often have hopes that these people are looking to reconnect for genuine communication but no. A lot of folks who use FB do use it superficially. Period. If you're not one of them, you don't need to defend your use and prove that you're not superficial. It's cool And anyway, a lot of folks I know don't mind that they don't know a lot of their FB friends.

I have learned to not be afraid to reject friend requests as well as to simply weed out people who I realize I really have no interest being FB friendsies with.

Someone else mentioned do we remember Friendster. Yes! Where did the hype about Friendster go???? Then it was Myspace. Now Facebook. Wonder what's next.

Last edited by NomadScribe; 03-05-2010 at 11:07 AM..

Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
The great thing about Facebook is that you can chose who sees your info. And you can chose to eliminate anyone that is obnoxious. You cannot do that on here. Oh, you can hide thier posts, but they are still here. There is no way I would keep anyone on my Facebook pages that is mean, hateful, and foul mouthed..

Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
The great thing about Facebook is that you can chose who sees your info. .
heh
Yes, that thought had crossed my mind, too.
You *can* keep your profile private here if you want to, though.
Most people don't even bother filling it out, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
I have learned to not be afraid to reject friend requests as well as to simply weed out people who I realize I really have no interest being FB friendsies with.
Someone else mentioned do we remember Friendster. Yes! Where did the hype about Friendster go???? Then it was Myspace. Now Facebook. Wonder what's next.
Yes, I am careful about who I befriend, too.
I was the one who had mentioned Friendster and Bebo.
And there is Linkedin etc etc.
It almost seems like for some people, The Internet is this huge looming megalith of horror, and Facebook or Twitter is its minion.
We just need to remember that the internet is for our convenience, not vice versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I guess FB fits different needs different ways. I love using Google chat to talk to my kid overseas. But I am not his FB friend, not too much family there. My FB friends are probably more superficial than otherwise. Some of them put up serious stuff on their wall, other ones talk about how their kid has stomach flu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
As you may already know, it was invented by a college student for other college students.
It might be that the kids move on to something else now that 55 year olds such as myself have entered their territory.
I dunno, we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates