Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times

Advertisements

I'm in a minority when I say I'm just not into the whole FB thing. I do have an account, mainly for keeping in contact with some out of state/out of country friends from school when they're back home when the semesters are over. Since FB went 'public' I think it's going the way on MySpace a little.

I think it opens up some weird head space for some people and can be a bit high-school. I've also had to do things like block certain people's posts because they're the type who post constant updates about their life(OMG my BF is cooking dinner LOL! Dinner is now starting to steam LOL! We're setting the plates out now LOL!) every half hour. I never post status updates or do the "like" thing.

As far as employers looking at people's pages-set it to private. I have no doubt that employers do this, though. I also work with someone who will 'friend' people then will monitor their pages and "report" anything suspicious to the higher-ups. I've seen it happen and I don't agree with that. So yes, be careful who you accept as your 'friend'-especially when it comes to your co-workers.

People look at me like I'm insane when I say "no, don't text me or FB me. Call me on the phone, please. I'd rather speak to you."

Is texting and internet language the Newspeak of today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:52 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
People look at me like I'm insane when I say "no, don't text me or FB me. Call me on the phone, please. I'd rather speak to you."

Is texting and internet language the Newspeak of today?
For some people it's not just the Newspeak, it's what they spent their years being accustomed to as just another active layer in their social life- the younger folks that is.

Other than that, people in general becoming heavily dependent on FB is annoying to a degree. People have
a)time to search you out and "befriend" you after perhaps months or years of not seeing you or talking much
b) time to read countless updates, build their zoo or whatever....
But NO TIME to write a good old fashioned message Forget even asking that people pick up a pen and write letters anymore (a craft I am dedicated to heart and soul!)....these days a lot of people just can't be bothered. FB is in part, meant to "connect" people, but I feel like it also has the potential to make people very lazy and superficial communicators.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I opened an account but after a couple months, deleted it.
Same. It was just gossip and people desperate to re-live "the good years".

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I don't need to be cool anymore, I'm old.
LOL exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I'm just not that into it. E-mail is good for me.
x2

Last edited by DFWgal; 02-24-2010 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
I enjoy keeping up with people on FB that there is no way I would every be able to keep up with. When I meet up with them I have a lot of stuff to talk about. What I totally fail to understand is the amount of people on here that hate FB yet seem to be compelled to post about how they have no use for FB. I would think if a person doesn't wish to use facebook then they should just not use facebook rather than talk about how much they dislkike it

Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I would think if a person doesn't wish to use facebook then they should just not use facebook rather than talk about how much they dislkike it
I think people are looking to just discuss and figure out the phenomenon of FB, with some venting thrown in.One can choose to ignore the social networking phenomenons of Twitter and FB completely, but eventually, whether on the news, at work, with friends, whatever, people are talking about tweeting and facebooking. I'm an FB user, but I still find it useful to talk about some of the more disappointing affects of social networking on communication, as well as why it can be useful or simply fun.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:18 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I reconnected with almost all my childhood friends. I love it love it love it. My 67 year old dad has a facebook account!
I use to play farmville and MAfiawars but I am sick of it now. Farmville took forever to harvest and I came to level 29 when i stopped
But facebook can be really bad if you do not watch what you are doing.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Feat.

If I wanted to keep in contact with my friends, I'd have their number and they'd be only a phone call or email away.

Well, it is not always that easy. Think about it for a second.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I pretty much agree with all that Granny Sue, and yankinscotland said.
I am 77. I post on Facebook with my own name. I have a 91 year old friend on there...a lady that moved to another state, and I lost touch with. She uses her own name, and plays some of the games. It is a great pasttime for those of us who need a diversion.
I play FarmVille, and Farm Town, and really enjoy them. For those who do not enjoy them, you are under no obligation to play. There is no need to insult those who do.
I have remade contact with old friends and relatives.
I have made contact with relatives that I never had the chance to meet.
I do not find the hatred on there that is on here !
You pick and choose who who you wish to have as friends there. You do not have to keep anyone one who offends you.
Most share only what is innocuous, except some of the young members.
My teenage granddaughters are on there, and I have chastised them for inappropriate posts.
As said before, you can chose who sees your posts...you cannot do that here.

Love that!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,222 times
Aside from my catfishing club and occasional posts here , I don't have an account , or want one for that matter. It may sound paranoid , but this is just another way for others to keep tabs on you and dabble in your business. I've enough of this as of current. But I do like to gaze here and post sporadically. Now if I suspect in any way I may be tracked or watched , then this is it.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I go to play games. That's the only reason I have a MySpace account also. The forums, instead of being a place for intelligent, rational discussions, seem to be populated by immature children (okay, I'm talking MySpace here, I never really went to Facebook forums).

I don't take up a lot of time playing the games. Start the app, do a few things, exit the app. Repeat. Someone advised me to get a Facebook account, but I never really did anything with it until recently. I had decided to randomly make friend requests from people of a certain age range (both men AND women) that lived within 20 miles of a certain town...and proceeding to invite people just based on whether or not I recognized the town they lived in. My personal message tacked on to every one of the requests was "I used to live in X." (X shall remain nameless). I got around 100 people to add me just based on that. Some actually took time to write me, and I told them that I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to add some people from the area I went to school, whose ages are around my own age. One of those people recommended going to Facebook, because they let you search by school attended over there. I found a lot of people I went to school with years ago. I recognized their names, and could see them in my mind's eye--but I was never much of a group person even way back then. Years later, these people couldn't remember much about me, or me about them, and couldn't say why we didn't have any sort of real friendship back then. We grow up, things change for us, we all end up in pretty much the same boat. Of course, a lot of them seem to be married with kids of their own, but that was never my thing. But whatever trivial disagreements we had are forgotten.

95% of the people on my list are people that I knew personally by name at some point in my life. I was on a first name basis with them. I don't have a problem sharing name, address, and email with anyone though. What's the worst that could happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates