Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:22 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
The deluded part is considering these facebook 'relationships' as anywhere near the relationships we delude ourselves into thinking we have with our peers. Staying in touch across state borders through facebook is more descriptive of a human's natural voyeuristic tendencies, but it doesn't foster any more meaningful a relationship than a one-sided friendship over a cell phone, which is the more mainstream form of nomad friendships in our culture. And using facebook to "stay in touch" with people inside your MSA? That's just sad and disconnected.

In due time Facebook will take the turn cell phones (thru sexting), yahoo and myspace eventually turned into: booty call central and cheat-o-land. This is largely happening already.

I'd love to visit my parents but airfare is expensive traveling through the markets I gotta travel through to go home. But at least I tell my parents and out-of-state acquaintances "dude/mom/pops, I'm broke as the next guy, can't afford to go see ya more than once a year", rather than pawning off a "hw ru? hokai thnx bai, LOL " facebook blurb as a "stay in touch with friends: check". This is just a society FAIL in my book. Close friendships require physical presence, be it marriage, parenting or otherwise. There, I said it. Ours is a crazy world of penpalships driven by economic necessity, we just choose to never challenge the plate our employers provide for us because we don't have an identity outsise of work, which is why we spend more time there than with our supposed "friends". It's obedient lunacy.
I agree.

While I do FB, I look forward to the day when I am ready to delete the account. There are too many folks who seem like they are simply going through their yearbook and searching names. They find you and want to see your updates and troll your profile, but have no time for a genuine personal message. I just delete these fools when I realize thats the case. That aspect of FB is what I don't like. I have also reconnected with a lot of folks who I am genuinely happy to be in touch with again. If we enjoy being in touch so much, I trust we can still keep dialogue rolling off of FB.

A modern nomad, and STILL writing handwritten letters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
It's true. Young people are the demographic that seems to see the Internet as this wild west of information blowing in the wind that will never be found. OR they simply have no shame, I don't know what it is. I have been totally appalled by some of what I have seen in school computer labs. I intervene according to rules, but the kiddos find their way around the bans to do what they will, which is often highly inappropriate and I would think, embarrassing and demeaning for them - if not now then later.

I don't think the poster was an old fashioned way of thinking. I'm in my early 30's and definitely do not subscribe to an old fashioned way of thinking, and I completely agree. A lot of youth are internet savvy, but not quite savvy enough that they know how to manage their "internet self" (i.e. googling their name and managing the results). They post things liberally all over the place and simply sometimes leave a mess of a digital trail that also may contain information (words, pictures, whatever) that may later harm them in some way. I've been working on an "Internet Safety" handbook for parents and teens. This is not an old fashioned concern. It is a very modern issue and need.
Young people made mistakes long before the internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I think facebook is but a symptom of the overlying problem; unless you find our present social construct not problematic of course. We've eroded into a society of working gypsies. Homesteading has become so unattainable to the median that it has become almost passé to suggest one should aspire to a life absent multiple job-related moves per decade. Same goes for expected productivity. Live-to-work and no defined self-worth outside work are as American today as apple pies and baseball. In this construct, facebook shines for the obvious reasons.

The deluded part is considering these facebook 'relationships' as anywhere near the relationships we delude ourselves into thinking we have with our peers. Staying in touch across state borders through facebook is more descriptive of a human's natural voyeuristic tendencies, but it doesn't foster any more meaningful a relationship than a one-sided friendship over a cell phone, which is the more mainstream form of nomad friendships in our culture. And using facebook to "stay in touch" with people inside your MSA? That's just sad and disconnected.

In due time Facebook will take the turn cell phones (thru sexting), yahoo and myspace eventually turned into: booty call central and cheat-o-land. This is largely happening already.

I'd love to visit my parents but airfare is expensive traveling through the markets I gotta travel through to go home. But at least I tell my parents and out-of-state acquaintances "dude/mom/pops, I'm broke as the next guy, can't afford to go see ya more than once a year", rather than pawning off a "hw ru? hokai thnx bai, LOL " facebook blurb as a "stay in touch with friends: check". This is just a society FAIL in my book. Close friendships require physical presence, be it marriage, parenting or otherwise. There, I said it. Ours is a crazy world of penpalships driven by economic necessity, we just choose to never challenge the plate our employers provide for us because we don't have an identity outsise of work, which is why we spend more time there than with our supposed "friends". It's obedient lunacy.
I disagree with this strongly...You don't like new technology just as my Grandparents don't trust the internet and there was a time people didn't trust telephones. It is progress - online social media helps people accomplish more with much less effort than before. Thanks to the internet generation Y writes more than any previous generation. Facebook/myspace/etc. sparks debate and encourages collaborative thinking between people who would have no other feasible way of getting in touch. Today your child can play a game with someone from Russia, California, Australia and Boston all at once. Before Facebook and similar technologies that was simply not possible. Sure there are dangers, but the benefits it brings to society by far outweigh the negatives.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Thanks to the internet generation Y writes more than any previous generation. Facebook/myspace/etc. sparks debate and encourages collaborative thinking between people who would have no other feasible way of getting in touch. Today your child can play a game with someone from Russia, California, Australia and Boston all at once. Before Facebook and similar technologies that was simply not possible. Sure there are dangers, but the benefits it brings to society by far outweigh the negatives.
I'll agree that the global interconnectedness factor that younger generations are growing up accustomed with is pretty interesting and great.

I don't agree that "generation Y writes more than any previous generations." Not at all. I've worked in schools across the nation and from my experience , younger generations can also be lamented as "cut and paste" generations who favor mindless chatter on Myspace as a priority to anything else.

Wikipedia, in many middle and high schoolers eyes, is seen as the only necessary reference for a history essay. Status updates on Facebook do not constitute the "writing" that I personally would like to see the younger generations competent in. We have middle schoolers being graduated to high school who are incapable of even drumming up a coherent one page essay on anything academic, yet are extremely Myspace savvy. Sorry, I don't see it as all that great.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,072 times
Quote:
I'll agree that the global interconnectedness factor that younger generations are growing up accustomed with is pretty interesting and great.

I don't agree that "generation Y writes more than any previous generations." Not at all. I've worked in schools across the nation and from my experience , younger generations can also be lamented as "cut and paste" generations who favor mindless chatter on Myspace as a priority to anything else.

Wikipedia, in many middle and high schoolers eyes, is seen as the only necessary reference for a history essay. Status updates on Facebook do not constitute the "writing" that I personally would like to see the younger generations competent in. We have middle schoolers being graduated to high school who are incapable of even drumming up a coherent one page essay on anything academic, yet are extremely Myspace savvy. Sorry, I don't see it as all that great.
Exactly. To put forth facebook as exemplary of the gains in technology from a generational standpoint is hollow. I'd take wikipedia as a more meaningful technological internet advance than facebook. As opposed to what the idiots at CNN have to say about the economy and media formats, social networking content is inherently worthless. There's no substance to these binary inputs of chaff. Might as well free up that bandwidth with something of actual substance. Employers are just being as voyeuristic about their employees on there than everybody else is about everybody on there. Outside that function there's no actual employment or wealth-creating value to the median person or the general economy. It's just another virtual shopping outlet for some firms to advertise to their heart's content. You will not find the cure for cancer or the next Paris Peace accord hot-pressed through facebook. It's not that value-adding.

But all that misses my original point, which wasn't to debate the techonlogical value of internet media, but to put forth the idea that facebook has galvanized a troubling social structure of relating to our peers in a de-coupled fashion, and calling it 'normal'. This has stemmed from the job nomadism we take for granted today and hasled to the erosion of our communities and sense of belonging.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
Wow. There is some serious hating going on around here Re: FB.

Re: HS tendencies and individuals posting random acts..i.e cooking dinner ect..Yes I will concur that this can get annoying however this is them, it is harmless and should not be approached so seriously.

As a member stated , this site for the most part is a great way of netwerking, getting connected with old friends that have moved out of state. As working individuals we not always have the luxury of getting together w/friends and it is always nice to hear updates regarding their lives, sharing old memories, pics ect.

As another poster stated my FB consists of friends and some co-workers, the way I feel about it, if you do not behave badly over the interwebs than there is really nothing one should be ashamed of.

Some good things can come from FB, for instance, when I reconnected w.old friends, we gathered a relatively large group and set up a get together, it was great. As well as joining certain groups, subscribing to one's fave venue to keep up with new events.

Honestly it is not different than any other interweb forum, an exhange of ideas, the ability to put your input and make new friends...after all what are we all doing on here? lol...

Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
I'm really leary of Facebook, its amazing how much information one can get about people. Aren't people afraid of identity theft, etc?

Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
No one WANTS my identity...

Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:

We have had high school graduates who cannot develop a coherent essay for decades now, haven't we?

Younger people today DO write more than any other generation. For better or worse, that is true. Read this article. More young people go to college and graduate school today than any other generation. I agree that some people slip through the educational system and cannot write anything beyond a status update, however there have ALWAYS been young people who didn't care. Can you honestly say that every one of your classmates from 8th grade was extremely studious?

Besides, if a student cannot compose a one pay essay, that is the fault of the parents for not helping the child through school, not the fault of facebook. Facebook is a tool. Like any other tool it can be a positive or a negative, depending on how it is used. Don't blame the hammer for a carpenters shoddy work. Facebook gives us the capability to do a whole lot more than we ever could as a society. It is progress!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:31 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I'm really leary of Facebook, its amazing how much information one can get about people. Aren't people afraid of identity theft, etc?
There is more a chance of identy theft in your real everyday life than on Facebook. Anyone you write a check to has your account number, your name, address....etc....way more than the info given on FB.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
We have had high school graduates who cannot develop a coherent essay for decades now, haven't we?

Younger people today DO write more than any other generation. For better or worse, that is true. Read this article. More young people go to college and graduate school today than any other generation. I agree that some people slip through the educational system and cannot write anything beyond a status update, however there have ALWAYS been young people who didn't care. Can you honestly say that every one of your classmates from 8th grade was extremely studious?

Besides, if a student cannot compose a one pay essay, that is the fault of the parents for not helping the child through school, not the fault of facebook. Facebook is a tool. Like any other tool it can be a positive or a negative, depending on how it is used. Don't blame the hammer for a carpenters shoddy work. Facebook gives us the capability to do a whole lot more than we ever could as a society. It is progress!
I agree with a lot of this here. Look, I think FB is a great social networking tool. To discuss how it has possibly negatively affected communication is not "hatin" on it, as another poster put it. I don't believe FB is the wonderbread of social communication. I do not believe that people are really having vigorous interesting debates on FB. I know I don't! That's not really the point of it! I have been very grateful for a lot of folks I've reconnected with on FB. On the other hand, I feel that a lot of people interpret a growing list of FB friends as some indicator of an actual social life and it can be quite sad. "Virtual" friendships will rarely, if ever replace the real thing. Not to mention, I actually do find it shallow when people look you up and befriend you but clearly just want to snoop. I'm not knocking FB, I'm just not seeing it with rosy tinted glasses either. Like you said, its a tool and can be positive or negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates