Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:06 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,623,272 times

Advertisements

I thn that we are more likely to enter a dark age if the dropout rate contimues. Remeber that the industrial revoltion and the rise of teh western culture was when christianiyt was at its highest. that lays mott to the idea that reglion has anyhtig to do with the problems we are seeing now. Its more the secular ;I want it thanh anyhting else but not wanting to work for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 12:43 PM

88,234 posts, read 84,175,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Isn't the guy on the right the dad from Everybody Loves Raymond? :-)
LOL, I did a doubletake on that one, too!

Old 02-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
This reasoning crossed my mind once or twice as well.
To be honest, I was amazed that no one intervened when Taliban blew up the antique Buddha statutes and especially forced women into burqa's, denied them access to education, forbided them to leave the house by themselves and relegated them to the position of animals, forced to walk behind their husbands, and effectively condemning the widows without sons to starvation as couldn't go out without the company of a male relative. In spite of the outrage of women organizations all over the world, other governments chose to treat these abuses as Afghanistan's internal affairs and no one read the obvious signs of extremism that later brought tragedy to this country.
We are all in it together is the high price lesson of our times.
As financial collapses keep proving in the domino effect of today's world economy.
People WERE intervening, at least on behalf of the Afghani women pre 9/11. Mavis Leno, wife of Jay, was one of them.

Not that this was government intervention, of course.

It's a group called The Feminist Majority, that was working to help Afghani women since 1996.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 PM

4,982 posts, read 7,180,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thn that we are more likely to enter a dark age if the dropout rate contimues. Remeber that the industrial revoltion and the rise of teh western culture was when christianiyt was at its highest. that lays mott to the idea that reglion has anyhtig to do with the problems we are seeing now. Its more the secular ;I want it thanh anyhting else but not wanting to work for it.
Say what?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Say what?
I particularly got a kick out of "lays mott to the idea"

Old 02-27-2010, 10:49 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,794,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peptea View Post

i think it's very possible we're going to devolve...
Many of the world’s problems are due to the fact that the Human Race has already devolved.

It won’t be too long before we are back up in the trees swinging from branch to branch looking for bananas.

Except for the Anti-Evolutionists who will be balls of clay with unattached ribs.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:01 PM

694 posts, read 1,230,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

It won’t be too long before we are back up in the trees swinging from branch to branch looking for bananas.
At least that would take care of the obesity problem, wouldn't it?

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpps/news/offbeat/dpgonc-daily-beast-us-tops-list-of-laziest-nations-fc-20100218_6145557 (broken link)

Last edited by learningCA; 02-27-2010 at 01:08 PM..

Old 02-27-2010, 12:49 PM

871 posts, read 1,626,583 times
Quote:
you can't always look to the past to emulate because if the past is not understood correctly.

the industrial age of course brought a lot of activity and jobs and especially with war but that is one phase. there are flurries and there are settled times. it's unrealistic to expect that to be a constant.

what society needs to do is redefine themselves and redefine society in what is best way to live. it may involve changes or even original changes never made before as well as some from the past.

Quote:
Many of the world’s problems are due to the fact that the Human Race has already devolved.

this is not realistic either because there has also been positive evolution and there was unprogressive aspects of the past that were corrected.

it's never going to be perfect, it's just recognizing what is good and worth to keep and what needs to be changed for the better.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,716,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

We'll have to wait for banana trees to evolve branches. So far, they have none.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:53 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,154,357 times
Quote:
I thn that we are more likely to enter a dark age if the dropout rate contimues. Remeber that the industrial revoltion and the rise of teh western culture was when christianiyt was at its highest.
So was the inquisition, anti-semitism, slavery, lynchings, segregation, oppression of women etc etc etc. Oopsie!

Quote:
that lays mott to the idea that reglion has anyhtig to do with the problems we are seeing now.
You mean "moot?" Not hardly..

Quote:
Its more the secular ;I want it thanh anyhting else but not wanting to work for it.
That's hardly a secular ideal. Sounds more like religionists.

This nation was founded on hard working secular idealists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates