Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times

Advertisements

Recommended (if not required) reading: Working, by Studs Terkel. Read it and you'll see that what the majority of Americans want out of their work is job satisfaction. Money comes in a distant second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
What's meaningful to one person may not be so meaningful to the next, so we're just talking opinions here. I do think most jobs are meaningful in some way.

I know the OP said "parents" did not count because that's not a paid job, but to me being a SAHM, or Stay-at-home-mom is the most meaningful job of all. I gave up my paying job so I could be home to take care of my children all the way through high school. We never wanted our children to go to daycare, or come home to an empty house. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but we just didn't want it for our children. I have been a SAHM for over 20 years, and I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to raise such fine children. It has been far more meaningful to me than my previous paying job ever was.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Recommended (if not required) reading: Working, by Studs Terkel. Read it and you'll see that what the majority of Americans want out of their work is job satisfaction. Money comes in a distant second.
The amount of money I get doesn't matter to me, as long as it covers my bills. But that IS the only reason I work, to literally "earn" a living. If you don't work, you don't eat--or at least, you shouldn't. Even if you wind up working taking care of your home while your spouse goes to work...at least you're still working, just not for financial compensation.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 PM

418 posts, read 487,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Telemarketer. They keep money circulating without producing any value, which gives the appearance of a strong economy and makes us all feel good. Without crack sales-people, we'd all know we were in a depression and be horribly depressed ourselves.
hahahahahahahah!!! good stuff.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Police because without them its survival of the toughest.
and with them... is survival of the toughest.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned scientist/engineer yet?
Because they're unappreciated. Without scientists and engineers, we'd be back in the stone age riding horse & buggy around.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,825 times
I'd say social workers and non-profit or low cost medical facilities. They have helped tremendously. You never know when, especially in these times, when your luck will change, and I'm glad to know they are always there to help people, especially for law abiding decent people. You can add homeless shelter volunteers as well. I used to volunteer and help feed homeless people and God has been good to me. We need to remember that no matter how good we got it, we can always help other people better themselves and lend a caring hand to those most in need, ALWAYS.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 PM

92 posts, read 255,078 times
Really, if you think about it, aren't literally ALL jobs somehow supportive of the good of the people, of the public? For instance, someone doing something as simple as inspecting and boxing small plastic parts for a vehicle is in fact benefitting the public because those parts are going to eventually become parts of the vehicles that we all drive and depend upon to get from Point A to Point B.

Just think about basically ANY job under the sun and you can tie it to the good of the public. Of coure there are some obvious exceptions (prostitution (all though, even a job like THAT is beneficial if you take it from strange points-of-view)). Yes, I said strange. I hope no one takes offense to that if you do happen to have good experiences with prostitution...

ANYWAY. My point has been made. ALL jobs are important and meaningful in some way, no matter how small it may be...

Old 03-04-2010, 10:43 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If any "job" were removed, the world as we know it would be significantly different, maybe worse maybe better. If a job was important, and nobody was doing it, someone soon would be.

One of my quick response thoughts would be a bus driver in a third world country. Very few people have their own car, and without someone to drive public mass transport, the burden of walking for all errands would be a huge load on the time and effort of billions of people, both in large urban areas and in remote rural areas. In fact, in third world countries, driving a rattly rickety rural bus with bald tires and no brakes on mountain dirt roads is a very prestigious position, the position of driver is highly sought after, and those who attain it tend to have an elitist air. They are the equivalent of airline pilots in America.
Agreed. I drive all day and believe me, at times it's a nightmare. Not to mention just the sheer focus of keeping people safe at all times and abiding by traffic laws is tough especially in my city. Also, keeping a near-perfect driving record on my own time can be tough. Most companies will not even hire you if you have too many points or a flawed driving record. It's not until you are placed into someone else's shoes do you appreciate what they do. Drivers and trashmen get my hat's off.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,285,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
To you, which job is the most meaningful, and for what reason?
Parent, teacher, artist, musician, filmmaker, writer, engineer, doctor, etc.

These all involve the potential to inspire and heal.

I am sure the list is much longer...

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates