Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Konraden ~ people are allowed to express their opinions here. Thank you for your input and graphs though. Everyone has opinions and are simply giving them and I find them all interesting.
Opinions are useless when talking about a generation of 70 million people, no one person could possibly know all of them and how they act. A worm in a jar of horseradish thinks the world is horseradish.

Statistics are the only way to compare generations in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Opinions are useless when talking about a generation of 70 million people, no one person could possibly know all of them and how they act. A worm in a jar of horseradish thinks the world is horseradish.

Statistics are the only way to compare generations in this case.
And I'd like to point out the very real phenomenon of self-fulfilling prophecies. Keep telling today's kids that they are unruly, violent sociopaths and they'll follow suit.

The evidence shows kids are better than kids of yesteryears. We should act appropriately

*EDIT: We should act accordingly.

Last edited by Konraden; 03-15-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 03-15-2010, 10:34 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
And I'd like to point out the very real phenomenon of self-fulfilling prophecies. Keep telling today's kids that they are unruly, violent sociopaths and they'll follow suit.

The evidence shows kids are better than kids of yesteryears. We should act appropriately.
For the most part we have built up the millennials, remember they were the “Baby on Board” generation, all of the child safety and “it’s for the children” calls started with them. Cute children movies started with them (Baby Boom, Three men and a baby, etc.) Hollywood started producing massive amounts of G rated movies in the 80’s and 90’s a reversal from the R rated domination of the 70’s.

Gen-X on the other had was told how bad they are and in many cases showed how bad they are. They were the latch-key kids, most kids depicted in movies were bad or devil kids and children killed by parents were at alarming rates.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:22 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
What I have noticed is folks having children and expecting someone else to raise them. I also see a surge of parents not caring where their children are.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:48 PM

541 posts, read 1,340,434 times
bluediamond64..how right you are....when i came to usa,i was shocked to notice,how many parents simply do not care...their midlle school kids were hours away (even with older bad kids),they did not give a s...as if expected to grow up by themselve...nobody forced them to put kids in teh world (kids that they can not afford emotionally..many times finacially too),but then at least take responsability for them..this is not parenting...they do not care,what the kids were eating,were drinking,were playing,were doing with their freetime...the parents (especially the lazy mothers i blame most) were way to busy with their selfish lives...

Old 03-15-2010, 01:57 PM

487 posts, read 636,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Being originally from South Philly.. *shame*
However, that is an awful school. I did not go there, luckily. That's the local school where you go where you can't get into any other public or parochial school..so.. it was bad.

I think it has to do with the lack of discipline today. Parents have to have like a board meeting with their children and recognize their feelings instead of making sure they understand what's right and what's wrong. Parents are now friends; not parents.
Hmm did you ever ask yourself why its a "bad school", or do you just assume anyplace with a high percentage of black people is bad? It has to do with the systems of oppression in this country that keep people in poverty forcing them to resort to crime as a way to cope with their situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates