Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 AM
 
Location: Hawaii
1,688 posts, read 4,301,813 times
Reputation: 3108

Advertisements

It's an illegal drug so it cannot be excluded from the test.
But sicne so many states have legalilized medical weed and you have a Rx for it the test are cleared as long as whatever show up in the urine has a doctors orderl.
Then it's between you and the lab and the lab cannot divulge the info to the employer (the test is reported negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2010, 03:31 AM
 
14,767 posts, read 17,128,610 times
Reputation: 20658
curious: What jobs require drug screening?! (or is this done for most jobs in the US?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Metairie, La.
1,156 posts, read 1,801,032 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
It's an illegal drug so it cannot be excluded from the test.
But sicne so many states have legalilized medical weed and you have a Rx for it the test are cleared as long as whatever show up in the urine has a doctors orderl.
Then it's between you and the lab and the lab cannot divulge the info to the employer (the test is reported negative.
Most commonly performed drug tests exclude various illegal drugs from the test because of the expense associated with the expanded test (example: steroids...even the louisiana high school athletic association, for example, that performs drug tests on high school athletes don't test for performance enhancing drugs). I'd argue, and I have on this forum, that drug tests are specifically designed to lock out weed smokers from employment. It's the only drug that stays in the system for an extended period of time.

When taking a drug test you sign a statement saying that after the lab notifies you in the event of a positive drug screen, then they will in turn notify the employer or potential employer, especially if this party is paying for the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 AM
 
4,049 posts, read 5,035,289 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
But alcohol isn't a drug*. It's a culture.
But cannabis isn't a drug*. It's a culture.

Actually, both are drugs and both are deeply ingrained in American culture.



Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If I were an employer, the marijuana user would be less attractive to me because I want to know the people I'm hiring are mature enough to have a good time without resorting to mind-altering substances.

Comparing alcohol to marijuana is silly for two reasons:


1. You can drink without getting drunk. The whole point of smoking out is the high.
2. Alcohol has brought a lot of evil upon our society. You want to make more drugs legal and acceptable? Because we've done so well and acted so responsibly with the ones we have.
Yes, it is silly comparing alcohol to marijuana, because alcohol is so much more deadly and poisonous than marijuana; there is not one account of a person overdosing on marijuana.. alcohol kills 100k a year.

But in the sense that they are/were prohibited drugs in America, they can be compared. Remember the amplified evil of the underground alcohol market during prohibition? When alcohol was re-legalized it effectively destroyed the mafia. Now think: powerful drug cartel making money on the black market - Americans exporting money to violent drug gangs. These drug cartels are monopolizing the drug market while law-abiding entrepreneurs wait for legalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Hawaii
1,688 posts, read 4,301,813 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Most commonly performed drug tests exclude various illegal drugs from the test because of the expense associated with the expanded test (example: steroids...even the louisiana high school athletic association, for example, that performs drug tests on high school athletes don't test for performance enhancing drugs). I'd argue, and I have on this forum, that drug tests are specifically designed to lock out weed smokers from employment. It's the only drug that stays in the system for an extended period of time.

When taking a drug test you sign a statement saying that after the lab notifies you in the event of a positive drug screen, then they will in turn notify the employer or potential employer, especially if this party is paying for the test.
In the state of Hawaii the drug testing company must notify the employee and clear any discrepancies up. It is illegal for the testing company to notify the employer unless you can't back up whatever was found by a legal docs Rx.

If drugs show up in the screen and the lab verifies through the doc that it's a legal script a negative report will go to the employer.

No employer can make an employee divulge what meds their on.
Since drug testing is becoming so prevalent it is key to know your personal rights related to this situation with regard to privacy and confidentiality.
Hawaii has legalized medical weed and the same rules of privacy should apply.

I'm sure in Hawaii if they are not observing the privacy laws in relation to this matter a precedent will be made soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 01:14 PM
 
Location: The 719
18,039 posts, read 27,497,200 times
Reputation: 17358
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
But cannabis isn't a drug*. It's a culture.
Nice logic. This is true.

Let's go down to the Outback and get a bloody steak and some bloomin' onions. Oh, and mate, stop by the 7-11 and pick me up a pack of Indica. Here's $1000.00.

Same as booze, right? You can go and buy a pack of weed? How old do you have to be to work the 7-11? 18? 21? How old do you have to be to smoke weed?

Hey, Nurse Jackie, why don't you cover for me. I'm going out for a smoke. How many feet from the building do you have to be to torch up? 50 feet? 50 yards?

What kind of buddage goes with that Porterhouse? Humboldt County Skunk, mame. Would you like that in an Apogee or a steam roller?

Hey mom, don't bogard the doob. Pass it over here, Spongebob Squarepants is coming on in 5 minutes!

So, it's so nice outside. Does everybody want to eat out on the patio? Yeah, grab the bong. We've got mosquitoes tonight.

Oh look! A sale on Thai-Stick dipped in Opium and a family size bag Frito Lays $3.00 off at Wal*Mart this weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,896 posts, read 12,002,490 times
Reputation: 7502
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Nice logic. This is true.

Let's go down to the Outback and get a bloody steak and some bloomin' onions. Oh, and mate, stop by the 7-11 and pick me up a pack of Indica. Here's $1000.00.

Same as booze, right? You can go and buy a pack of weed? How old do you have to be to work the 7-11? 18? 21? How old do you have to be to smoke weed?

Hey, Nurse Jackie, why don't you cover for me. I'm going out for a smoke. How many feet from the building do you have to be to torch up? 50 feet? 50 yards?

What kind of buddage goes with that Porterhouse? Humboldt County Skunk, mame. Would you like that in an Apogee or a steam roller?

Hey mom, don't bogard the doob. Pass it over here, Spongebob Squarepants is coming on in 5 minutes!

So, it's so nice outside. Does everybody want to eat out on the patio? Yeah, grab the bong. We've got mosquitoes tonight.

Oh look! A sale on Thai-Stick dipped in Opium and a family size bag Frito Lays $3.00 off at Wal*Mart this weekend!

Whether your against it or not, that is quite funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 01:47 PM
 
541 posts, read 1,341,741 times
Reputation: 331
logic is your friend...i do not need to imagine..i do not live in the past and my generation was not even born in that time...it is absolutely stupid to make this generation responsable for the past..like for example hiroshima,right???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 PM
 
Location: The 719
18,039 posts, read 27,497,200 times
Reputation: 17358
You just mixed "Goodwin's Law" with a red herring.

Don't know what side of the debate you're on, but we're talking about the exclusion of weed... fact vs. myth type stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 02:48 PM
 
1,791 posts, read 1,794,224 times
Reputation: 2210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
kinky toes...you do not care,but guess what,other people care...i do not enjoy pot smokers...i am not friend with low lifes,who break the law!!!respect the law (good or bad) is very importante for me and none of my friends break the law,neither in germany,nor in usa nor anywhere in this world!!
First off all, you have no idea who I am. So you categorizing me as a low life is ignorant and rude. You need to learn some RESPECT. And I guarantee you that you break laws everyday. Whether you know it or not is of no consequence. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. So you and your perfect little buddies continue to live in your perfect little ROSE colored world while I continue to "break" a law that becomes weaker by the day. And just because something is "legal" doesn't make it right nor should it keep us from being able to stand up for what we believe in. Respect the law (good or bad) my a**. I've met many a "low-life" who didn't break societal laws. No, they broke the laws of morality. You come to mind as I wrote that just now. Get a little experience under your hat before you claim to have knowledge of something. I guess the fact that alcohol can and does kill daily, but marijuana doesn't at all, makes alcohol O.K. because it is legal. You have a beautiful day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top