Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:38 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
This is one of the reasons why I moved towards self-employment. The fact that an employer will literally shake your pee in front of you to see if you've been having fun on the weekends is the last straw for the thinking man who respects himself. At that point you are just a piece of property; a piece of meat. You're barely even a man. What you do on the weekends is now in question.

As per marijuana specifically, that's a whole new level of stupid. The fact that the most harmless way to expand ones consciousness is illegal and may preclude people from employment speaks to the level of stupidity and Corporatism that is The United States.
Absoulutely! Why in the world have we Americans gotten SO dang stupid that "corporate liability" trumps individual civil rights in this nation...

I'm a truck driver. I have NEVER used (and never will use) illegal drugs in my life (I believe they should be legalized and controlled, but that's another discussion...) I have prostate problems. Since I must be able to "produce on demand" for random samples, I must hold in my urine (sometimes to the point of being uncomfortable) just on the chance that I might be asked to "pee in the bottle" when I return to my terminal for the day. Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"???

I also believe that drug testing is along the same lines of "follow the money" that pretty much ALL government schemes ultimately are tied to. Just like the vermin who sell & install red light and speed cameras, they push what seem to be prudent public policy to Americans that sit on their brains instead of using them. When in reality they're just out to make big bucks instead of doing something that would result in REAL productivity in this country.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 03-20-2010 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: "Dyslexic fingers, NOT drugs...:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 03:43 PM

36 posts, read 70,849 times
Speaking of americans out to sell non-sense to steal civil liberties at was on a business trip in Paris in the night at a table in the hotel restaurant by myself next to a table of a german-american business man trying to sell about 5 million dollars worth of interlock ignition system to a russian car dealer (It was a really nice hotel-500 anight). Anyways, point was he was telling the russian guy so many lies I felt like ruin his deal half the time. He was saying it is only a matter of time before every car in america has one of these and he should buy them now before the price goes up.

The way he was behaving you know for sure he would have no problem going to a government official and telling them every car in the world needs one to stop drunk driving.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:23 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why do you smoke marijuana? To put yourself in what kind of state. Now be the employer. Do you want someone working for you in that state? Alcoholics get fired.
Unbelievable. Did you not understand my thread? Not READ it? I clearly stated that I would pre-screen for employment but would exclude marijuana. The statement "Now be the employer" has already been made me. Just not in those specific words. What is so hard to understand about "same rules would apply as with alcohol, 21and older, not at work, etc." ? (my quote) Alcoholics only get fired if they repeatedly come to work intoxicated. Three times, you're done, in my experience. One of my friends is an admitted alcoholic. (beer) His work knows it too. (hence... admitted) Hasn't lost HIS job.

Why I smoke is none of your business. I will say however, "because I can".

Old 03-20-2010, 06:18 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Crew Chief, yes O2 does wonders on those early AM flights.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaseline View Post
Speaking of americans out to sell non-sense to steal civil liberties at was on a business trip in Paris in the night at a table in the hotel restaurant by myself next to a table of a german-american business man trying to sell about 5 million dollars worth of interlock ignition system to a russian car dealer (It was a really nice hotel-500 anight). Anyways, point was he was telling the russian guy so many lies I felt like ruin his deal half the time. He was saying it is only a matter of time before every car in america has one of these and he should buy them now before the price goes up.

The way he was behaving you know for sure he would have no problem going to a government official and telling them every car in the world needs one to stop drunk driving.
novaseline, MADD was a great idea when it was founded; get the word out about the dangers of drunken driving. Now, just like a cancer, they must push on into other areas to keep their addiction to funding fed. So that businessman pushing the interlocks may be just predicting our future. We thinking Americans should hope not. (And maybe get involved to prevent it...)

Last edited by Crew Chief; 03-21-2010 at 07:50 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 5,196 times
Marijuana should not be tested for unless a actual test is created to detect actual intoxication. Inactive metabolites do not cause impairment. Obviously if your at work stoned you should be terminated just like alcohol or many other prescription meds.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:00 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
In todays society we all know that drug screening (when jobs return) is an important part of the hiring process. With all the serious drugs such as heroine, crack, meth, etc. I would pre-screen too. Now alcohol is much more harmful than marijuana. Nobody tests for that. With the recent decriminalization of marijuana (not in all states) it should be removed from the list of drug test failures. Same rules would apply as with alcohol... 21 and older, not at work, etc. What do you think?

This link explains everything I already know. I'm a long time marijuana consumer... now age 40.

Reliable information about marijuana and its effects based on research and science, not disinformation and propaganda.

Myths and Facts About Marijuana
Logical thing would be for an employer in a state where a substance is legal to not be allowed to screen for it. However in many states, they can already exclude you if you are a tobacco user and that is perfectly legal.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:38 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
As long as you don't go to work high or drunk, what you do outside of work isn't your workplace's business. Just don't smoke before work or during your break. Wait until after work.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:41 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
As long as you don't go to work high or drunk, what you do outside of work isn't your workplace's business........
Except we know that's not true across a wide range of jobs and behaviors, not just drug or alcohol use.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:35 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
As long as you don't go to work high or drunk, what you do outside of work isn't your workplace's business. Just don't smoke before work or during your break. Wait until after work.
Yes, exactly!

When it comes to drugs, its not the companies business, besides that, drug laws are unconstitutional, so if it ever came before the supreme court, they would be struck down, so even a private company cannot do something that is unconstitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates