Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:05 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,635,434 times

Advertisements

It is tricky, pot stays in the system so long.

So pot shows up on a test and your employer is worried that you are impaired on the jobs........safest thing to do is can the person, especially from a liability standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 07:36 PM

1,665 posts, read 977,984 times
In most states where it's available as either and both recreational and medical, it is in process of being removed from testing. If it isn't removed already. With the exception of heavy machinery use, driving for cities and states, and jobs requiring you to be armed.

There's other conditions listed as well.

I believe it should be removed from testing altogether. It's not right to smoke a joint Friday or Saturday Night to relax and fail a screen on Monday. Or 2 weeks later.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:46 PM

876 posts, read 814,976 times
Default Any company should be able to test for drugs

As a marijuana user, I have no problem with pre employment testing. If I am looking for a job I will be sure not to have any in my system. It's an intelligence test if nothing else.

I don't work in medicine or transportation, around machinery, or with firearms. The work I do isn't affected if I have 5ng/ml of THC metabolite in my blood. So in principal I'm against testing, if it doesn't include an alcohol test that registers how drunk you were 30 days ago.

However, I'm also for not restricting a business owner's right to choose who they hire. I would not want to hire a heroin or meth addict, even in Portugal where all drugs are legal, so I understand why some people will never believe marijuana isn't the Devil's lettuce.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:51 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,339,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
In todays society we all know that drug screening (when jobs return) is an important part of the hiring process. With all the serious drugs such as heroine, crack, meth, etc. I would pre-screen too. Now alcohol is much more harmful than marijuana. Nobody tests for that. With the recent decriminalization of marijuana (not in all states) it should be removed from the list of drug test failures. Same rules would apply as with alcohol... 21 and older, not at work, etc. What do you think?

This link explains everything I already know. I'm a long time marijuana consumer... now age 40.

Reliable information about marijuana and its effects based on research and science, not disinformation and propaganda.

Myths and Facts About Marijuana
Employers should make the decision, not government. It's not a fireable offense to drink alcohol in many bars while flirting with employees to get them to buy more... yet I'm sure you can get fired if you're a gun range employee and drinking. It's up to the employer.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:01 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,630,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Employers should make the decision, not government. It's not a fireable offense to drink alcohol in many bars while flirting with employees to get them to buy more... yet I'm sure you can get fired if you're a gun range employee and drinking. It's up to the employer.
The problem is, many employers will do it, simply because Govt 'recommends' it.

My company does drug AND background testing on entry level cashiers at a gas station/convenience store!! Now how useless is that?

Of course, back in the 90s, this was not so important! LOL

Old 11-25-2018, 01:44 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,684,057 times
I can think of a time when Boeing was building it's famed 727 transport, tons of stoners in the plant--and the 727 was one of the best aircraft the company ever built. Is that a reason to hire weed users, No, but it certainly speaks to the levels of madness in a society gone nuts over their irrational fears. The world is full of risk but very few deathly accidents can be attributed to pot usage, and I doubt that many in the Boeing plant were high during the work shift.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,011,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
In todays society we all know that drug screening (when jobs return) is an important part of the hiring process. With all the serious drugs such as heroine, crack, meth, etc. I would pre-screen too. Now alcohol is much more harmful than marijuana. Nobody tests for that. With the recent decriminalization of marijuana (not in all states) it should be removed from the list of drug test failures. Same rules would apply as with alcohol... 21 and older, not at work, etc. What do you think?

This link explains everything I already know. I'm a long time marijuana consumer... now age 40.

Reliable information about marijuana and its effects based on research and science, not disinformation and propaganda.

Myths and Facts About Marijuana

Jobs DO test for alcohol as well.I think when one is going to apply for a job..if I was an employer,I would only hire people who can pass a drug AND alcohol test.I want sober people working for me and not anyone on any drugs or anyone coming to work with alcohol in their system....but that's just me I guess.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:18 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Jobs DO test for alcohol as well.I think when one is going to apply for a job..if I was an employer,I would only hire people who can pass a drug AND alcohol test.I want sober people working for me and not anyone on any drugs or anyone coming to work with alcohol in their system....but that's just me I guess.
What kind of hypothetical business would you be running, though? And would it be affected by people doing drugs/alcohol on their own (non-work) time? Like if I were to go out drinking or smoke a joint on Saturday night, would it potentially affect my work on Monday?

Old 12-19-2018, 04:43 PM

190 posts, read 129,312 times
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Maybe its legal technically but Drug testing is unamerican

Old 12-19-2018, 08:56 PM

5,365 posts, read 5,151,342 times
I think companies should worry a lot more about their workers coming in sleep deprived or hung over rather than being high at work. I've been high on marijuana at work numerous times (it helps break up monotonous days). I can still do my white collar tech job just fine. You want to see an unproductive employee, look at the person who can't keep their eyes open cause they don't sleep enough or the person who's hung over. Those people make mistakes all over.

To be fair, if I was in a job like a first responder, I could not perform my job as well high. Certain jobs where you have to be ON when the time hits require a sober mind. But this means that these people should also be fully awake and rested as well, not just caffinated.

Drug tests are just a filter lazy HR people use to try to weed out irresponsible individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates