Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:37 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
This has nothing to do with what's legal or not. This has everything to do with the rights of a private company. And like it or not, they have a right to spy on you, random tests on you for whatever, and limit your civil liberties. And guess what? It's legal for them to do seemingly illegal things without court orders! When you say you are truly a slave to your job, you truly are.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 02:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
This has nothing to do with what's legal or not. This has everything to do with the rights of a private company. And like it or not, they have a right to spy on you, random tests on you for whatever, and limit your civil liberties. And guess what? It's legal for them to do seemingly illegal things without court orders! When you say you are truly a slave to your job, you truly are.
And are you for this or against it?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:46 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
And are you for this or against it?
Does it matter? I am all for blood red skies, but that doesn't mean I can change how the light spectrum scatters, can I?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
Does it matter? I am all for blood red skies, but that doesn't mean I can change how the light spectrum scatters, can I?
Current laws are human constructs, and people change them all the time (that's how the Constitution was designed). light waves are not.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:51 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,625 times
All these negative posts on this subject just goes to show the ignorance that still encompasses this planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Boy, you really are not in touch with reality. MJ is not as safe as you think. But keep telling yourself whatever you have to in order to justify your habit.

Oh, and btw, there are people who exist who break NO laws, ever. And certainly never on purpose.
The problem with your first statement is you have NO proof to back your claim. I on the other hand have long standing studies to back my claim. My wife would certainly argue with your assumption on my "touch with reality". She doesn't smoke marijuana. Her and I have been together for 12 years. And FYI... I DO NOT have to justify anything.

As for your second statement you counteracted yourself. Even if someone unknowingly breaks a law, that law is still broken. Have you never heard of "blue-laws"? If not... look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think that an employer has every right to test for whatever drugs they want to. The company you work for gets to make the rules; if you can't (or won't) follow them, then you shouldn't be surprised if you're let go.
Again, more ignorance. This thread is about PRE-SCREENING. If someone is injured or injures someone else on the job then that employer has cause for testing. Seen many people let go because of coming to work reeking of alcohol. I also stated in my thread that if I ran a business I would pre-screen. Excluding marijuana.

If anyone attempts to place marijuana in a category with "hard" drugs it just shows a persons willingness to believe whatever they hear. Propaganda and disinformation are the same as fear and ignorance.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Current laws are human constructs, and people change them all the time (that's how the Constitution was designed). light waves are not.
It can be done, but would be prohibitively expensive. And that's on both the employment issue and light scattering.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
All these negative posts on this subject just goes to show the ignorance that still encompasses this planet.

The problem with your first statement is you have NO proof to back your claim. I on the other hand have long standing studies to back my claim. My wife would certainly argue with your assumption on my "touch with reality". She doesn't smoke marijuana. Her and I have been together for 12 years. And FYI... I DO NOT have to justify anything.

As for your second statement you counteracted yourself. Even if someone unknowingly breaks a law, that law is still broken. Have you never heard of "blue-laws"? If not... look it up.

Again, more ignorance. This thread is about PRE-SCREENING. If someone is injured or injures someone else on the job then that employer has cause for testing. Seen many people let go because of coming to work reeking of alcohol. I also stated in my thread that if I ran a business I would pre-screen. Excluding marijuana.

If anyone attempts to place marijuana in a category with "hard" drugs it just shows a persons willingness to believe whatever they hear. Propaganda and disinformation are the same as fear and ignorance.

I still get a kick out of those old marijuana propaganda films when I see them on documentaries! While not completely harmless (what is?), it certainly is nowhere near as harmful as that other crap; coke, crack, heroin, meth, extacy, or LSD! I would definitely say in a lot of ways it is safer than alcohol, and some prescription drugs for that matter!

Old 03-18-2010, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 5,139 times
Guilty till proven innocent. The New USA

Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 PM

36 posts, read 70,860 times
I am not anti-marijuana, but I think that since an employer can be sued if you screw up on the job, and marijuana can be a cause of that, the employer should be able to test you for it. I mean if an employer can be put out of business through law suits, and someone falls asleep on the job bevause they smoked too many joints, shouldn't the employer be able to say, look its not my fault, I trained the guy properly, he was using dope on the job?

I think people should be allowed to use marijuana, but it has to be responsible

Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaseline View Post
I am not anti-marijuana, but I think that since an employer can be sued if you screw up on the job, and marijuana can be a cause of that, the employer should be able to test you for it. I mean if an employer can be put out of business through law suits, and someone falls asleep on the job bevause they smoked too many joints, shouldn't the employer be able to say, look its not my fault, I trained the guy properly, he was using dope on the job?

I think people should be allowed to use marijuana, but it has to be responsible

And that is the key there. Sure you have the idiots that break the rules, and get high or drink on the job, but for the most part I'd say the majority that do it is in their off time. Me personally, I certainly have no urge to come into work under the influence of anything. However; if I want to kick back after work in the evening with a drink or two, or even take a toke or two (which I haven't smoked in quite a long time now) that should be my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates