Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 11:06 PM

541 posts, read 1,340,044 times

Advertisements

kinky toes...you do not care,but guess what,other people care...i do not enjoy pot smokers...i am not friend with low lifes,who break the law!!!respect the law (good or bad) is very importante for me and none of my friends break the law,neither in germany,nor in usa nor anywhere in this world!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 02:15 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
kinky toes...you do not care,but guess what,other people care...i do not enjoy pot smokers...i am not friend with low lifes,who break the law!!!respect the law (good or bad) is very importante for me and none of my friends break the law,neither in germany,nor in usa nor anywhere in this world!!
Imagine if those friends in Germany lived during Hitler's reign.. a lot of horrifying things were "lawful" then.. And many things one should be able to do were "unlawful" as well. "Respect the law, good or bad" you say?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:12 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Imagine if those friends in Germany lived during Hitler's reign.. a lot of horrifying things were "lawful" then.. And many things one should be able to do were "unlawful" as well. "Respect the law, good or bad" you say?
I guess Blind Obedience is alive and well. And people wonder why I am so worried about majority rule. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
In todays society we all know that drug screening (when jobs return) is an important part of the hiring process. With all the serious drugs such as heroine, crack, meth, etc. I would pre-screen too. Now alcohol is much more harmful than marijuana. Nobody tests for that. With the recent decriminalization of marijuana (not in all states) it should be removed from the list of drug test failures. Same rules would apply as with alcohol... 21 and older, not at work, etc. What do you think?

This link explains everything I already know. I'm a long time marijuana consumer... now age 40.

Reliable information about marijuana and its effects based on research and science, not disinformation and propaganda.

Myths and Facts About Marijuana
I don't think there should be pre-employment drug testing AT ALL. It's a total violation of civil rights and presumes people are guilty until proven innocent.

FYI, I do not smoke pot or do drugs, either.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
The majority of the ones I know started using the other drugs while smoking marijuana-take a hit of a joint, then do a line of cocaine, etc. Is marijuana always the stepping stone to harder drugs? Of course not; although sometimes it is. The "sometimes" is enough to keep it illegal in my opinion.
I do not agree with smoking pot. I definitely don't think it expands your consciousness. That said, I think the gateway drugs are most likely cigarettes and alcohol.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I'd go a step further and say employers can discriminate against obese people too.
They pretty much do to the extent they can get away with it; they just don't admit to it.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm surprised to see many of these responses.

In my view, the off-duty, off-premises behavior of an employee, or potential employee, is of no legitimate concern to the employer unless it affects his/her job performance. Consequently, I don't think any employer has any right to screen employees or applicants for any drugs, legal or illegal.

If the employee is not performing adequately, whether it's because of drug use or any other reason, they can be fired for their poor performance. If the employee is performing adequately it doesn't matter what they do in their off time.
One problem with your line of reasoning is that a lot of times employers are afraid of being sued if they fire people. Fired employees will sue for sexual harassment, racial discrimination, etc, even if they aren't true....at great expense to employers.

As I said, I don't agree with drug testing. But when you have laws that make it more difficult to fire people, then you also make it difficult to hire people.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 10,795 times
I don't disagree with pre-employment drug screening. I only wish that people would begin to see alcohol as being more of a drug. Someone with a bad hangover can also be dangerous, less alert, and unfocused on the job.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Is marijuana illegal?

Is alcohol?

The answers to those two questions answers your question.
Yup.

Quote:
Is marijuana illegal?
Yes!

Quote:
Is alcohol?
No!

Answer to the OP? Irrelevant what I think. Until the laws change at the federal level, what does it matter? You can dream about it I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TynDolls View Post
I only wish that people would begin to see alcohol as being more of a drug. Someone with a bad hangover can also be dangerous, less alert, and unfocused on the job.
But alcohol isn't a drug*. It's a culture. Alcohol is legal. Some people abuse booze, but only 2 out of 10. One out of 10 is alcoholic and 1 out of 10 is a hard drinker. Eight out of 10 either ignore booze or consider it to be occasional food.

* In some ... make that most... of the treatment centers they say, "A drug is a drug is a drug", lumping alcohol abuse with drug abuse. You know why that is? One van.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
If I were an employer, the marijuana user would be less attractive to me because I want to know the people I'm hiring are mature enough to have a good time without resorting to mind-altering substances.

Comparing alcohol to marijuana is silly for two reasons:

1. You can drink without getting drunk. The whole point of smoking out is the high.
2. Alcohol has brought a lot of evil upon our society. You want to make more drugs legal and acceptable? Because we've done so well and acted so responsibly with the ones we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates