Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:04 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Wow. Homophobia is like God or something...

Wouldn't say its God.
But anybody willing to admit that homosexuality is a form of sexual deviancy is labeled a homophobic.

I'v never yet seen a person run screaming in terror from a homo, that leads me to believe that homophobia only exists in the minds of homosexuals.

At any rate it doesn't get girls pregnant.
Homosexuality's prevalence today might even be a natural way of population control, it sure serves no other useful purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 06:05 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Are you saying that Americans are afraid that too many hispanics are having kids?

I don't know about that, but I do know one thing. When you have possibly 12- 20 million people living here from a country where the age of consent is 12. Then we're going to have some problems. That's a cultural mindset that's immigrating to this country. Yes, it's 12. Look it up. Like I said, Latino culture.

Was our culture not too long ago as well. Now we are breeding people unable to act like adults in their thirties & forties.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Wouldn't say its God.
But anybody willing to admit that homosexuality is a form of sexual deviancy is labeled a homophobic..
Well, uhhhh if the shoe fits.......

<<I've never yet seen a person run screaming in terror from a homo, that leads me to believe that homophobia only exists in the minds of homosexuals.>>

Fear is expressed in many different ways. When the group that is feared is in the minority, the majority will not run away, but is more likely to act violently toward the minority group instead.

Quote:
Homosexuality's prevalence today might even be a natural way of population control, it sure serves no other useful purpose.
Hmmm, and you wonder why you're labeled homophobic. Gee, that's a tough one.

Perhaps you should consider that sex serves more than one purpose. It's not just a breeding function.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
There's a radio show that I listen (Thom Hartmann - XM Left 167)
Thom Hartmann always has great debates and is a very smart person.
I was going to send this question to him to see what he would say, but I keep on forgetting to do it.

Does fear of having a homosexual boy increases early pregnancies?

Sounds like a crazy title, but it's a serious question about our culture.
Growing up in South America got me thinking about this.
My mother visited me and she asked my 1st grader son if he had a girlfriend.
Usually the kid says yes, and the grandparents are happy about it.
My problem is that that encourages little kids to start "hitting" on girls or make them feel like losers if they don't have a girlfriend.

I believe that doing that pushes kids into having girlfriends when they are very young. Add to that, all the parents that give magazines and videos to their little kids "For them to learn to be a man"

By the time those kids become teenagers... well, you know the rest of the story.

Now, what do you think?
Does fear of having a homosexual boy increases early pregnancies?
I think that's kind of a stretch. Sometimes there could be other social factors that would act as a counterweight to this. However, in the absence of such factors, you could be right. But these things are tough to sort out and can not be analyzed in isolation.

That said, it's clear that "macho" type societies definitely have a fear and dislike of the feminine and that which is perceived as feminine. It's the reason why gay men are loathed more than lesbian women. In the hetero-sexist mind, gay men are "like" women and have turned their backs on masculinity. Hence, it's the ultimate affront to a macho type culture. On the other hand, a lesbian woman, in the hetero-sexist mind, is less problematic because it's understandable why a woman would want to be "like a man", even if it's not acceptable.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That said, it's clear that "macho" type societies definitely have a fear and dislike of the feminine and that which is perceived as feminine. It's the reason why gay men are loathed more than lesbian women. In the hetero-sexist mind, gay men are "like" women and have turned their backs on masculinity. Hence, it's the ultimate affront to a macho type culture. On the other hand, a lesbian woman, in the hetero-sexist mind, is less problematic because it's understandable why a woman would want to be "like a man", even if it's not acceptable.
I think that might be kind of a stretch. Lesbian women are wanting to be like men? And aren't there extremely masculine (almost overly masculine) gay men?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I think that might be kind of a stretch. Lesbian women are wanting to be like men? And aren't there extremely masculine (almost overly masculine) gay men?
You didn't read closely enough. I prefaced my comments with "to the hetero-sexist mind".

If you've never heard the term heterosexism, you can read about it here:

Heterosexism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I'd add, homophobia and fear of the feminine usually work at the unconscious level.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You didn't read closely enough. I prefaced my comments with "to the hetero-sexist mind".

If you've never heard the term heterosexism, you can read about it here:

Heterosexism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I'd add, homophobia and fear of the feminine usually work at the unconscious level.
Hmmm... Could be, I suppose. It just seems like some of this stuff is a real stretch. I guess I've just never found my self terrified by the feminine, or by homosexuals.

It seems to me that it's a little more straightforward than that. There are people who believe that homosexuality is wrong. Agree with them or not, I'm not sure we can label them as heterosexists or homophobes. It might just be that they think homosexuality is wrong - and nothing more.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,662 times
I don't know if I buy the concept that boys try to "score" just to prove they are not gay at a younger age. Boys try to score just to prove that they can. Horny kids plus sexual exploration leads to teen pregnancies.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,170,686 times
Quote:
I'v never yet seen a person run screaming in terror from a homo, that leads me to believe that homophobia only exists in the minds of homosexuals.
Ridiculous argument.

By that logic, we wouldn't be in the Middle East. After all, support for wars have mainly been the result of fear pumped into the heads of the people by politicians with agendas. Just because you don't run under your bedsheets like a child who thinks he saw it monster, it doesn't mean you don't fear something.

George Hanson: You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it.
Billy: Man, everybody got chicken, that's what happened. Hey, we can't even get into like, a second-rate hotel, I mean, a second-rate motel, you dig? They think we're gonna cut their throat or somethin'. They're scared, man.
George Hanson: They're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.
Billy: Hey, man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody who needs a haircut.
George Hanson: Oh, no. What you represent to them is freedom.
Billy: What the hell is wrong with freedom? That's what it's all about.
George Hanson: Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.
Billy: Well, it don't make 'em runnin' scared.
George Hanson: No, it makes 'em dangerous. Buh, neh! Neh! Neh! Neh! Swamp!
-Easy Rider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates