Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 07:26 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times

Advertisements

There are strong arguments from economists and psychologists that this model helps create very harmful short-term thinking and business decisions - when companies need to churn out profits every quarter, they take riskier decisions which sometimes backfire spectacularly.

This also leads executives to take far more risks than they otherwise might - since, if they can get through a few quarters using dubious accounting methods or business strategies, they can take their profits and take off to another job.

Layoffs may also be more common under a quarterly profits model than others - since companies need to "cut costs" rapidly to bolster profits on a quarterly basis, there is less desire to hold on to workforces through lean times - even though research shows that downsizing is often a much worse economic decision over many quarters.

Should we start moving our tax structure and market regulation against the hardline quarterly profits model, and instead try and reward longer-term results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 03:42 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,801 times
I think the key here is in company ethics. With any business, you must have a metric to measure performance and efficiency. Daily, weekly, quarterly, or yearly reporting is not the cause of unethical practices. Unethical people do that! If I invest in a company, then I want to know of weekly sales pursuits and what we are doing to improve efficiency. There are too many factors here.... like if I am a doctor, and I want to increase sales... thats unethical already, unless I want to take customers from another doctor......!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:15 PM

Well, it's not really about fraud or unethical practices.

It's about how the quarterly profits model in particular tends to shape expectations, reactions, and economic outcomes.

It's possible that a system based on annualized profits would encourage somewhat longer-term thinking. Especially if we modify the tax law to incorporate "clawback" provisions for executives whose companies collapse shortly after they take off.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
I don't think you can convince Fortune 500 management or Wall St. I-banking types to look beyond the here & now since the velocity of info has accelerated so much. Everyone is compensated for results in the near future, not in 3 or 5 years. In fact the highly-paid VP's and Directors of investment houses seem to feel that a company's worth is determined solely by its stock price & the number one goal of employees should be to increase value to shareholders, irregardless of their customers, product development or future goodwill. With that kind of short-sighted perspective it's no wonder they turn to quick accounting schemes, derivative gambles, or questionable M&A's.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I thnikt aht investors deserve such information as without it they are just guessing.We certianly don't want companies hiding it for a year how they are doing to investors.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:28 PM

122 posts, read 330,715 times
yes, it is time. our economy needs to be geared toward long-term thinking and investment.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
We certianly don't want companies hiding it for a year how they are doing to investors.
That's a good point, but actually, I might demand MORE data from companies, while at the same time, not going by the quarterly model.

We can do this - at first - by changing aspects of the tax structure to incentivize longer-term investments.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:44 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peptea View Post
yes, it is time. our economy needs to be geared toward long-term thinking and investment.
Not the economy but changing the mindset of investors. When the whole internet investing craze started, "day traders" not only wanted to make a profit every quarter, they wanted to make a profit every day. There needs to be a change in the mindset of investors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates