Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:18 PM

190 posts, read 192,532 times

Advertisements

! look at the people around me and see patterns. My wife grew up with a fantastic father, and a mother that had her own baggage and emotional challenges. From him, she learned to cherish and love true men. Twenty one years married, and I try to follow his footsteps. I am lucky to have found her and to have met him.

My father was trapped by alcohol, but did the best he knew how. He grew up very rough. His best was better than he ever got, still meant emotionally detached and alternating between abusive and absent. I struggle with being disciplined from that, and am much more comfortable around women than men.

There is a playfulness with fathers that teaches risk-taking in appropriate and healthy ways. Mothers are often too protective and stifle that. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:40 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devans0 View Post
My father was trapped by alcohol, but did the best he knew how. He grew up very rough. His best was better than he ever got, still meant emotionally detached and alternating between abusive and absent. I struggle with being disciplined from that, and am much more comfortable around women than men.
That was an episode of "God, the Devil, and Bob" (which had more depth than most people thought).

Quote:
There is a playfulness with fathers that teaches risk-taking in appropriate and healthy ways. Mothers are often too protective and stifle that. Just my opinion.
A good dad knew how to give his children those "don't tell your mother" experiences.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:52 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,307 times
My dad was always too wrapped up in his own selfishness and childhood issues to really care about certain things that were going on. As far as I was concerned, he was absent; even though he was physically there.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
In my case I feel it made me less manly. I grew up with only my mother and sisters and today have a hard time relating to other males. Single moms should realize how damaging it is for boys to grow up with no father figure.
I had a father, but didn't have a father. He owned his own business, worked at it 7 days a week, it was all-consuming to him. So how much difference would it have been if you're father had been, say a workaholic?

The problem with this is this type of behavior is it can be passed onto the offspring. My brother followed into my Dad's footsteps, works 7 days a week, owns his own business. My sister isn't much different, owns her own business as well, but a little less consumed by it. Me? I've also had my own business, from time to time, but I'm the more laidback of the 3!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates