Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:01 AM

31 posts, read 35,556 times

Advertisements

Iv often read comments like, Suicide is for cowards because its harder to deal with your problems in life than to put a 45 to your brain and pull the trigger (which is debatable imo) then they continue on to say that it will affect the people around the person commiting the act, loving family members, Loyal Friends etc. Everytime i read something like that i have to wonder if the person making the comment or judging the person commiting the act suffers say from schizophrenia? or some sevear mental illness. or if they have been raped, physically or mentally abused? Do they realize that not everyone has a loving family? or no family at all? there friends could have turned there back on this person through there dark period (when days are dark friends are few), trust me i see living people everyday commiting cowardly cruel acts be it bulling a gay kid simply for being born that way (who eventually kills himself because of it) Murdering innocence for greater profits (war), Lastly religeon is brought into the picture "though shall not commit murder" and killing yourself is murder "B*******", even though MILLIONS have been murdered in the name of religion? not to mention almost every other commandment that is being broken everyday, adultry? (you have to know there are soooo many people breaking this commandment while im writing this) Do not steal ( i dont think god only meant pinching something of a table, do you?, how many of you have stolen something?) i could go on and on, i believe when a person commits suicide, they havnt failed society...society has failed them.....wake up and open your eyes, life is not always a gift from god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 02:14 AM

Good Point there Werone, maybe if people were given there right to choose whether or not they wanted to die, they wouldnt have to sneak around in the darkness killing themselves painfully, it could be a controlled, painless act which none besides the person aiding the suicidal victim would have to endure dont get me wrong im not saying every act of suicide is justified there are some people that commit such an act over stupid reasons such as a breakup or to hurt someone, the latter being selfish, but if there were places setup like this, they could go there go through counselling or talk to a quack and who knows even begin to see reason, but people who are in a world of hurt for life shouldnt have to live simply because others cant deal with it...end of story

Old 11-25-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You have the right to do it slowly with excessive alcohol consumption, smoking, morbid obesity, and not seeking treatment for illnesses, you just aren't allowed to do it quickly and expediently by diving off a cliff or sucking on the barrel of a shotgun.
LOVE THAT! and its always been my view as well, every single person out there who considers suicide a cowardly act and looks at life as a gift from god, if you smoke, drink or even do drugs each and every one of you are committing suicide RIGHT NOW and throwing that gift away. Or could it be that no matter what you do here on earth not matter who you are GOD will always love you, there is no hell, god does not punish...instead it loves!

Oh and Weed is totally allowed lmao

Last edited by EyesWideOpen219; 11-25-2011 at 03:00 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 AM

488 posts, read 556,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheYear3000 View Post
If we can set aside the religious beliefs on this, is our life ours to do with as we wish?
I'm not sure how you can define it as a right or not a right. There really isn't a way of controlling somebody taking their life. That doesn't really make it a right, per se, but I don't know what you could call it. I hope that somebody would not seek to end their life, but I know, realistically, I cannot stop it. I would venture to say the real question is do we have the righ to seek somebody to help us end our life? Or, does somebody have the right to assist another in ending their life?

Old 11-27-2011, 05:16 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,258,083 times
I used to think suicide was an individual's right, but then I've eventually come to the realization that suicide, like any other "-cide", involves the killing of a living thing. Because suicide by definition is always intentional and committed against a person (one's own person), it really is tantamount to murder.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:07 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,479,902 times
I hate the concept of suicide as it brings so much grief for the families/friends involved. In that regard I think people should never contemplate it and have no "right" to it. But, then again... sometimes I think people suffer so exponentially, beyond what we could understand and have felt ourselves, that we cannot deny the suffering person the right (whatever that means) to end a life of despair and acute pain. We have no idea the pain someone is dealing with. Perhaps that person knows that they will never get better in terms of physically as with a terminal illness or emotionally in terms of a loss of their family (like Dr. Petit, whose wife and two daughters were raped/murdered). Some people experience things that changes who they are to the point where they will NEVER be happy again. They are just shells of their former selves.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:41 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,567,860 times
Quote:
If we can set aside the religious beliefs on this, is our life ours to do with as we wish? One instance where our lives aren't really our own is when we have young children we have brought into the world and therefore are responsible for their care. Are we also responsible for the care of elderly parents? What about if children are grown and parents have already passed on, then do we have the right? What about someone who has terminal cancer or is in a lot of physical pain that cannot be eased?

Non-attacking thoughts on this?
Why leave religioius beliefs out? After all they are great influence on how people believe and reply to your questions. They are part of their lives.

However, I will answer because I do not have religious beliefs that influence my responses even though those with religious beliefs got shunned already.

is our life ours to do with as we wish?
Yes, I believe life is ours to do as we wish.
One instance where our lives aren't really our own is when we have young children we have brought into the world and therefore are responsible for their care.
Based on whose criteria? Yours? Mine? There can be so many answers based on so many angles like religion (ooops religion views are out of this debate), nature, ethics, government laws, etc.
My view is that most of us follow nature and we have this instinct of protecting those we procreate so from that stance I will agree with you.
Are we also responsible for the care of elderly parents?
The same can be said, whose criteria will we use? Personally, it is based on my upbringing and I will say yes. It is a moral (oooops again?) responsiblity but not a legal in most cases I would say.
What about if children are grown and parents have already passed on, then do we have the right?
The right to what? I missed the point of your question on this one.
What about someone who has terminal cancer or is in a lot of physical pain that cannot be eased?
The same to the first answer. It is the person's life and he or she should have the right to do whatever he or she wants to do with it. Even if he or she is not sick and simply does not care to live anymore, let him or her do whatever he wants to do with it. That is not to say we cannot try to help that person from doing so but if he or she has made up his or her mind, let him or her.
No attacking thought as you requested. However, I can see you may take it as such when I addressed the religion issue, no attacking intent was there. I did not agree expecting others that may reply based on their religious beliefs. They are part of them. Take care.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,048,945 times
Quote:
If we can set aside the religious beliefs on this, is our life ours to do with as we wish? One instance where our lives aren't really our own is when we have young children we have brought into the world and therefore are responsible for their care. Are we also responsible for the care of elderly parents? What about if children are grown and parents have already passed on, then do we have the right? What about someone who has terminal cancer or is in a lot of physical pain that cannot be eased?

I'd say that's about the only right that can't be taken from us (and as such, is about as natural a right as can exist) - although I suppose the government could strap us to a table and force feed us, but that'd probably be more trouble than it's worth.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:32 PM

19,041 posts, read 14,286,858 times
If it is a crime to attempt suicide, then it is obvious that you do not absolutely own yourself.
The question you should ask: "Who does own me? And how did his interest supersede my right to own myself?"

Old 11-29-2011, 02:35 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,788,182 times
Quote:

As like many things in life...we have the freewill choice to take our own lives, but we dont have the right to since we are owned by someone outside and beyond ourselves ; our Owner has the sole right and its important to honor him by giving him that rightful priveldge since he sees our entire life from start to finish . (and it matters not if One desires to pretend 'there is no God' / personal theistic Creator for our personal Universe) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates