Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 10,417 times

Advertisements

Since teenagers are the big consumers and of technology, cyber-bullying seems to be something new teens are facing. I wanted to get a better idea of what people think about this issue.

So, how much of an issue do you think that cyber bullying is for teens? What experiences do you know about relating to this topic? What can realistically be done to address this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 02:26 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,856,540 times
The solution is to turn off your kid's computer, give them a ball and make them go play outside.

Better yet, parents should go play with them too. Cyberspace is not reality, nor is anything that happens here of any real consequence. It's way past time to unplug when "cyberbullies" are a problem.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,697,614 times
You can avoid cyber bullying by googliing "creative combacks" and win the fight

Old 03-24-2010, 06:25 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,654,036 times
I guess I think this way because I was born before computers took over the world...but it occurs to me that there's something wrong with any person who actually allows themselves to be "bullied" by someone hiding behind a computer screen.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:04 AM

I really dont undestand how anyone can be bullied over a computer. The worst someone can do to you is call you names or insult you. Worse case is they take over your identity or hack your computer, send you viruses whatever at which pointit becomes a crime.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:13 AM

37,805 posts, read 41,094,709 times
Yeah, I'm not getting the fear when you can walk away from it so easily. If a person threatens you using a computer that's no different from threatening you over the telephone or in snail mail or by waiting for you on the corner. It's just a different tool. I never heard of post office bullying or telephone bullying so why cyber bullying?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:31 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,718,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The solution is to turn off your kid's computer, give them a ball and make them go play outside.

Better yet, parents should go play with them too. Cyberspace is not reality, nor is anything that happens here of any real consequence. It's way past time to unplug when "cyberbullies" are a problem.
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

In addition to be able to turn off the computer, it is extremely easy to keep a record of all interaction. "Cyber Bullying" is very easy to trace, should it actually become a real issue.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:02 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,781,397 times
My kids' elementary school emphasizes teaching about bullying, like signs of bullying and how bullying presents itself in different manners, not just physical threats. So instead of having kids accept bullying as a fact of life, they've actually banded up and taken a proactive role in stopping any hint of bullying from taking place.

And yeah, it's not like anyone's been emotionally scarred, committed suicide, or God forbid committed mass killings from psychological bullying, right?

Old 03-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Someone once called me a noob on this forum. I almost went on a shooting rampage. <--Sarcasm for those who cant tell.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:14 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,064,117 times
Cyber bullying starts out like all fads! It's cool to be on FaceBook, it's cool to be on MySpace and you're not cool if you don't have an account on one or both of those sites. So, the parents allow their child to creat an account and yes it may start with a word, like "****" but then it moves into the school. This is why cyber bullying is an issue. It's not as cut and dry as turning off the computer and walking away. These kids still have to deal with it at school the next day. Luckily, my daughter is still young enough that I monitor ALL of her online interactions! Literally, I stand over her shoulder if she is chatting with a friend and read every word that she types! She doesn't care because she has nothing to hide, but I'm sure this will not last too much longer. But, I have heard and seen other girls her age online being bullied and picked on and ganged up on and it never ends by just turning off the computer. That would be too easy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates