Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:34 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

My high school had people. Lot's of people.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:56 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Another race thread? Just because the media has declared the US is segregation free doesn't mean it's true. Racial differences will probably be at the root of social segregation for a long time, it's the lack of violence between racial groups that signify the direction of change. So far I'd say the US has changed dramatically from the days of forced racial segregation, the worst aspects of the lopsided oppertunities for minorities has been greatly reduced and that is real progress, the lunch room? Fugettaboutit..........

Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
America is so much more diverse than just "Whites" and "Blacks"

Why do all of the Spanish speakers sit together? What are the Filipinos saying to each other when they get together and start to speak Tagalog?

Why are so many people concerned with what Black people "specifically" do/say/eat/date/etc?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:14 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,631 times
It is changing, I'm 25 and not until I graduated high school did I see some black students sitting with white students. I think people will soon realize that we're more alike than different.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:39 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavant View Post
I have noticed that even in fairly liberal communities the lunch time cafeteria functions like aparthied South Africa. The white kids all sit together at the white table, the black kids all sit together at the black table, the hispanic kids all sit together at the hispanic table and East Asian Indians all sit together at there own table.

Yet when you talk to the kids in the school, they all talk in fairly post racial terms. Most of these kids basically supported Obama, most would privately and publicly say racial prejudice is a bad thing. This wasn't a high school filled with Archie Bunkers or even filled with a lot fans of Fox news.
This person is trolling. He wants to start some juicy race talk.

Those damn black kids. Why won't they sit with the white kids.

Right, gavant!!

Why don't you graduate and forget about those freakin kids!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:03 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
What's with all the hostility, Childfree 35?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
This person is trolling. He wants to start some juicy race talk.

Those damn black kids. Why won't they sit with the white kids.

Right, gavant!!

Why don't you graduate and forget about those freakin kids!
If he/she is a student and this is going on in his/her school, then it's a fair question to ask...

Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
they sit with their neighborhood friends. lunch time is a break from school friend time. You can't integrate schools until you integrate neighborhoods
When you said "neighborhood friends" & "break from school friend time", I agree.

I went to a high school that was very diverse & not only did the black students all sit together, the white students did that also.

Whether black, white, or any other race, you sit with people in what students call 'Cliques' and majority of the time, one clique can include many races.

So it's not based on race, a lot of students sit together with people from their neighborhood, or attend the same class with them.

My aunt who is a "Pre-School" teacher once told me that children as young as 6years old form their own "Cliques" at school during recess.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:11 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:
I have noticed that even in fairly liberal communities the lunch time cafeteria functions like aparthied South Africa. The white kids all sit together at the white table, the black kids all sit together at the black table, the hispanic kids all sit together at the hispanic table and East Asian Indians all sit together at there own table.

Yet when you talk to the kids in the school, they all talk in fairly post racial terms. Most of these kids basically supported Obama, most would privately and publicly say racial prejudice is a bad thing. This wasn't a high school filled with Archie Bunkers or even filled with a lot fans of Fox news.
In my opinion...

When so-called "racial", ethnic, or cultural differences and identities are reinforced at an early age from people in power or those who you hold a high amount of esteem and respect for (such as a parent or your peer associations "friends") people will self segregate. This is a lesson in "group think".

If someone is not raised with any preconceived notion of those differences they are often loners who "appear" not to fit in with any crowd because they do not have the same fixed ideas that others have about the human condition. People who don't have those ideas are sometimes shunned by the group they "appear" to most closely resemble physically, and are sometimes shunned by all groups because they refuse to identify with any specific ethnic/social group.

If you walk into a crowded cafeteria and you don't know anyone there, do you choose to walk to the table with people who you most closely resemble? Or would you venture to a table with people who don't look like you? It depends ON YOUR COMFORT LEVEL WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S ETHNIC/SOCIAL/CULTURAL IDENTITY - and how YOU THINK THEY PERCEIVE YOU AND YOUR ETHNIC/SOCIAL/CULTURAL IDENTITY.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:

I love how your post notes a variety of people of the same race sitting together, yet the thread title only complains about black people.

But since you are still in high school, I'm not surprised that you have a lot to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates