Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:09 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,386,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I'm betting that you DO appreciate what you have now. Don't feel guilty! Be glad for what you DO have. I, too, have had a similar (although not quite so rough) experience. And every day, here at home, I revel in the abundance we have here in the USA and wish that everyone could have it. You have a house to redecorate? YAY! And the means to do so? Cowabunga! A washing machine? How wonderful! Reliable electricity? Hallelujah! Just because you have them doesn't mean that you DON"T wish everyone else had them. Enjoy them and do what you can to help everyone else get what you have. Like I said, we have a standard of living that most folks in the world can only dream of. Even if we think we are poor, we rarely stop to think about what we really have. If you think you are deprived with no dishwasher, think of how your life would be without electricity. Be grateful. It can change your life.
I don't think there's a day that goes by that I don't think about the life we had in Uganda. We have and are still helping some of the Ugandans we left behind, and in a couple of cases totally changed their lives for the better. Funny you mentioned dishwasher as I just got one in my new kitchen after 20+ years without. I appreciate it every day!

I appreciate that I can turn on the tap and drink the water w/o having to boil it.

I still appreciate having a washer and dryer after 2 years of handwashing all the laundry. I also notice just how wasteful I really am! I toss things in the washer that are only a wee bit dirty, waste so much water! Waste electricity!

BTW, I live in Scotland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,233,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Noted. On the other hand, I have no respect for those who do not respect others' right to decide for themselves. You speak of progress. It's not possible through compulsion.
Agreed.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,206,249 times
When we lived in Indonesia and Paraguay, we didn't have to "endure" water and cooking hardships as a condition of our circumstances---we weren't beholden to anyone to be there, we were there because we wanted to be, living the way we wanted to live, enjoying the fact that that's the way we had chosen to live. In Paraguay, we paid $15 a month rent for our house, and granted, it had two light bulbs and a standpipe faucet in the front yard. Cooking was done on a kerosene stove that a local handyman has fashioned out of coffee cans.

It is true, though, that we could walk away and fly back to the USA whenever we got bored with the lifestyle, but it was still not at all unpleasant to live without any switches to flip for whatever we needed.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When we lived in Indonesia and Paraguay, we didn't have to "endure" water and cooking hardships as a condition of our circumstances---we were there because we wanted to be, living the way we wanted to live, enjoying the fact that that's the way we had chosen to live. In Paraguay, we paid $15 a month rent for our house, and granted, it had two light bulbs and a standpipe faucet in the front yard. Cooking was done on a kerosene stove that a local handyman has fashioned out of coffee cans.

It is true, though, that we could walk away and fly back to the USA whenever we got bored with the lifestyle, but it was still not at all unpleasant to live without any switches to flip for whatever we needed.
We soon got used to the inconveniences in Uganda. They were part of the package a volunteer could expect. We could have quit and gone home anytime, but never even considered it. Many did quit and go home early. I'm very glad we went. We were surrounded by really lovely, friendly people and little kids who always waved and smiled at us wherever we went.

I will confess that we treated ourselves often and stayed in nice hotels in the national parks, the price of which would be a year's pay for a typical Ugandan.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:29 AM

694 posts, read 747,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
We soon got used to the inconveniences in Uganda. They were part of the package a volunteer could expect. We could have quit and gone home anytime, but never even considered it. Many did quit and go home early. I'm very glad we went. We were surrounded by really lovely, friendly people and little kids who always waved and smiled at us wherever we went.

I will confess that we treated ourselves often and stayed in nice hotels in the national parks, the price of which would be a year's pay for a typical Ugandan.
I have absolutely NO TROUBLE with people living the way they want as long as they are not interfering with others' decision to do the same.

The people who bother me are the ones who try to make me feel guilty because I have more than someone else has and incinuate that I should feel guilty. I have post-poned paying my electric bill or my mortgage to help family and friends in the past. I try my best not to be oblivious to what is going on around me, but some people seem to be too atuned with what is going on around them and not looking at themselves.

Charles

Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM

314 posts, read 190,323 times
Quote:
I don't think there's a day that goes by that I don't think about the life we had in Uganda. We have and are still helping some of the Ugandans we left behind, and in a couple of cases totally changed their lives for the better. Funny you mentioned dishwasher as I just got one in my new kitchen after 20+ years without. I appreciate it every day!

I appreciate that I can turn on the tap and drink the water w/o having to boil it.

I still appreciate having a washer and dryer after 2 years of handwashing all the laundry. I also notice just how wasteful I really am! I toss things in the washer that are only a wee bit dirty, waste so much water! Waste electricity!

BTW, I live in Scotland.
You can thank capitalism for all you have.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Looks like they need more capitalism in Uganda

Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Noted. On the other hand, I have no respect for those who do not respect others' right to decide for themselves. You speak of progress. It's not possible through compulsion.
Exactly. That is a big reason to resist the statists and their big government, because government is, above all, compulsion. Rush, in his absolute genius, as a great way of putting it.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperarmati View Post
Looks like they need more capitalism in Uganda
What they really need is for the population to not accept corruption as a way of life. They also need to learn that punctuality and being organised is important and that you can't just wait to go to work or school because it's pouring rain FFS!

Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,206,249 times
Everything in Uganda is totally owned and controlled by the private sector. Everything. Virtually unregulated. How can you get more capitalist than that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates