Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 PM

50 posts, read 65,661 times

Advertisements

While I personally disagree with his decision, I understand why Obama would leave Trinity Church of Reverend Wright.

But I don't see why he had to leave the UCC all together. The UCC is 90% white, so if Wright was too black for Obama, he could have easily found a lily white WASP church in DC.

Instead he just shopped around for a good church. People use to kill each other and burn at the stake for those causes, but Obama thinks its no big deal to jump around from Episcopal, to Methodist to Baptist. Now hes settled on "non-denominational" services, with a Southern Baptist preacher.

Who are the Baptists? In the English Civil War and German Peasants War, the Baptists were a bunch of Anarchist, Communist, nutjobs who thought the world was going to end.

The Southern Baptists were founded specifically to support SLAVERY! And the nut who led the Taiping anarchists in China and thought he was Jesus' little brother, was converted by a Southern Baptist missionary and killed 20 million Chinese.

What are the traditions of the UCC? They are a merger of the Congregationalists and the Reformed. The Reformed heroically led the Netherlands against the mighty Spanish Empire and established the first free republic. The Congregationalists under Cromwell set up a free republic in England beheading the King. And in America they had the New England town meetings founding our democracy. They were moral puritan men who did not tolerate sin and vice. They established a Puritan Republican democracy wherever they went.

The Baptists are individualistic to the point of anarchy and ultra-democratic to the point of mob rule.

How could Obama leave the proud Calvinist tradition held by the UCC for the wild enthusiasm of the Baptists?

Well Obama isn't even a Baptist but how can he tolerate having a Southern Baptist chaplain? Does he think he can just change religions like socks?

Whatever Reverend Wright's faults at least he was a Reformed Minister, preaching the true word of scripture. He was a congregationalist and a calvinist! How could Obama hear the true word for 20 years and then abandon it for the heresy of Arminianism? What about total depravity?

Baptists are all Arminians. That means they think man through his free will can save himself, and that men are basically good, no original sin. Who needs God or Jesus if your an Arminian? Why bother being a pseudo-Christian? If you think man can save himself than Jesus is just a guy from history. If theres no original sin, we don't need the bible.

I supported Obama because he was part of the proud tradition that went back to the Pilgrims and Puritans who founded our democracy. I assumed that his problem was with Rev.Wright and not the UCC. But now I see him going to Camp David, when there are plenty of good churches UCC in DC.

Obama was the only Congregationalist elected other than Calvin Coolidge!
You know who else is Baptist? Westboro AKA God hates F#gs! The wackos who go around protesting Thank God for 911, Katrina and dead soldiers.

Why are they so crazy? Because they are Baptists who do not accept infant baptists. If you don't accept infant baptism you are not a Christian.

Obama's new Chaplain, does NOT believe in infant baptism!!!!

Old 04-09-2010, 02:05 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
I should think Calvinism alone would be grounds to leave.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 PM

McCain was an Episcopalian who converted to Baptism. W.Bush was another convert from Episcopalianism. It seems natural that people go from the ultra-feudalism of the Anglicans to the ultra-democracy of the Baptists.

I thought the 2008 election was an important battle between Calvinism and Baptists. But after his win Obama just became a Baptist.

This is like Henry IV who gloriously won the war for Calvinism on the battlefield but then said "Paris is worth a mass" and became a Catholic once in power.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:09 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marius1815 View Post
If you don't accept infant baptism you are not a Christian.
I love it when Christians are infighting. "You're not MY brand of Christian, therefore you're not a Christian!!!"

Keep it up. We atheists get a kick out of it.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:26 PM

see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congreg...stian_Churches

As I said in my opening post, the UCC was formed as a merger between the Evangelical and Reformed Church (mostly continental European Calvinists) and the Congregationalists who are primarily made up of the descendants of the New England Puritans. The original Puritans branched off into the Unitarians who denied the Trinity, and the Congregationalists who adhered to the old Puritanism. The UCC is primarily made up of the New England anti-unitarians.

So the two President Adams and Taft did belong to Congregational churches but they were Unitarian.

Muslims are actually MORE Christian than the Unitarians since they recognize Jesus as a prophet, while the Unis say hes just a man.
All the doctrines of Calvinism are explained here Westminster Confession of Faith with full scriptural proofs.

Congregationalists entirely adhere to the Westminster confession with the exception of presbyter church governance which they reject.

Luther and Calvin both supported infant baptism. The only one who opposed it in their time was the nutjob Anabaptists.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I think, as an American, he has the right to religious freedom, and to be left alone with his personal spiritual choices without being publicly analyzed.

Isn't there a "Bash Obama All You Want" sub-forum in one of the other forums?

Old 04-09-2010, 04:13 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Is this thread a joke? Seriously.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
I'm a member of the United Church of Christ. It works for me.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
why would anyone care what church the man goes to?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Actually, on Easter Sunday Obama attended services here: Easter service at DC church draws Obama family - Nation - MercedSun-Star.com (http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2010/04/04/1373750/obama-family-attending-easter.html - broken link)

In fact, Obama hasn't picked a church to attend on a regular basis and this would be why: President Obama Attends Easter Service, but Will He Become a Church Regular? - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.