Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 PM

106 posts, read 382,216 times

Advertisements

Someone once told me that life never feels the way it looks. I tried to think about this, but maybe I can get some different opinions from others.

This question might be kinda hard to explain.
Okay...Do you think life feels the way it looks on Movies and T.V. for certain people? I know that Movies are just Movies and so forth but do you think that Life in general feels magical for some people.

The first thing that I can think of when I think of this question is Sex and the City. You know the best friends living it up Manhattan, everything falling into place when it should, and just always having it good.

I know this is a bad example, but I'm having a hard time getting the question right. Lol.

What do you think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,246,976 times
Life is never as good or as bad as it looks.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:01 PM

355 posts, read 616,343 times
I guess that's why they say "movie moments". Sometimes in your life you experience moments just like in the movies. The magical moments. Some people even choose to live for such moments.
So i'd say life sometimes feels the way it looks. It doesn't happen too often though.
Unless, of course you got enough money to be constantly on some awesome drugs (j/k).

Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM

590 posts, read 1,014,188 times
In reality unless you are delusional life should always feel the way it looks. YOu know what your life is, what you are doing, where you are going and if you are going somewhere. So I would say normally if we reflect a moment on our life, the first impression should be the right one.

That said, it is on us to get in sync with it enough so that we can appreciate every little moment without having to wait for the magical "movie moment".

Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 PM

355 posts, read 616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
In reality unless you are delusional life should always feel the way it looks. YOu know what your life is, what you are doing, where you are going and if you are going somewhere. So I would say normally if we reflect a moment on our life, the first impression should be the right one.

That said, it is on us to get in sync with it enough so that we can appreciate every little moment without having to wait for the magical "movie moment".
Sure! That'd be great. Hey, if you learned how to do that, please write a book on how to do it. I'd be the first to buy it!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 PM

590 posts, read 1,014,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkumat View Post
Sure! That'd be great. Hey, if you learned how to do that, please write a book on how to do it. I'd be the first to buy it!
You know, I think I do as a matter of fact. And I am not a rich guy leaving la vida loca. I work hard for what I think is a lower pay that I should get, I have had my problems especially in the first twenty years of my life, so, I get by like most of people.
But I do deeply enjoy every moment I havbe for myself or with my wife, be that take to shopping or just walking or watching a big european soccer game or the Dolphins on tv.
I enjoy the moment it stops raining and the sun comes out as well as the moment when it finally rains a bit after 4 weeks of intense heat.

I enjoy watching squirrels from my windows, patting a dog on his head, or making a funny face to a young kid and seeing him smile.

Do I get upset in life? Of course, especially at work. But I do try to keep in mind that I am still lucky to be around, to have a lovely wife and to be able to see, hear, smell, walk.

It's great to be alive: it happens only once and can end at any time. So each day I get is an opportunity and I try to enjoy it and appreciate it.

And no, I am not a religious person (maybe is that the reason as I know that when it's over...it really is over...no after life or stuff like that) living in state of grace. I am just happy that I am around and so far able to enjoy the world.

I think sometimes people are unhappy because happiness is often stricly related to money/power/career. I do work hard, I do hope to get a promotion but I am not basing my life/happiness on that.

Just for example about appreciating little things: you wrote back to me and I am replying to you. In between those two moments how many people you think died on earth? I mean, it wasn't us, right?
What I am trying to say, maybe with an extreme example is that we often tend to look at what we don't have, what we are not, the problems we have to face, but always forget about all the problems we DON'T have, all the things we DO have and all the things that are going well in our life.

It's like health: you never really appreciate the fact of just being healthy until you get sick.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:35 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,314,738 times
Funny, I was kinda' thinking about this very thing last night while watching a show. These friends would hurl insults at each other and snarl, and I thought back to my job, and my limited circle of friends.

Well, for one thing, on the job I simply cannot see such attitudes getting by with it. Way too much P.C. in the world. I've known too many high-strung people at my employment in 19 years; you cannot just speak your mind without thinking first.

And why snarl at friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates